Park tools lost their quality?

PHOTOboy

Jun 24, 2006
I just replaced my allen key set, the old ones lasted 7 years but are lost, and the new ones lasted 4 hours. whay is happening I may change to Beta tools.

Anyone else seen this?

4 hrs? Were they made of aluminum? I have been using Park tools for a long time and have never seen anything like this. But I don't use their Allen wrenches. I like Bondhus ball end Allen wrenches without all of the plastic handles.

Originally Posted by kdelong .

4 hrs? Were they made of aluminum? I have been using Park tools for a long time and have never seen anything like this. But I don't use their Allen wrenches. I like Bondhus ball end Allen wrenches without all of the plastic handles.

Bondus all the way. I have allen keys that are over 20 years old. +1

This is funny, i like my Bondhus T-handles as well. They are my favourite T-handles. But I hate ball-ends with a passion.
Apart from the Bondhus T-handles, though, all my other general tools (L-shape keys, spanners, adjustable wrenches, pliers and side cutters) are from Würth. Their tools are very well finished and last for ages. Of course you pay for it, but they pay you back in savings on replacements.
For some reason I think the quality of Park's stuff has declined in the last few years relative to the market in general. Or perhaps it is the fact that other manufacturers have finally worked out that it's not hard to make good tools. Nevertheless the park wheel stand is still a gold standard, I like their spoke keys too and I also use their foldable race workstand. But for bike specific tools in general I'm now leaning towards Cyclus. They aren't pretty but they're functional and they work... and work and work and work! They're probably designed by engineers and not industrial designers....

The ball end is only good for running screws in and out that are in arkward locations such as rear brake caliper mounting screws. Never try to break free or secure screws with the ball end. You will only strip the socket in the screw or break the ball end off the wrench.
As far as bike specific tools go I have a few Park and several Nashbar tools that are good enough for the garage work shop.