park tools vs. spin doctor

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chris Smith, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Chris Smith

    Chris Smith Guest

    HI, Look for advice. I've got a catalog which sells both Park tools and Spin Doctor tools. They
    offer a Spin doctor Master Home shop which has tools stands etc.

    They also offer park tool sets which are more expensive.

    For home maintenance are spin doctor components OK? Or do I have to go Park. Thanks Chris

    Tags:

  2. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    ..
    > HI, Look for advice. I've got a catalog which sells both Park tools and Spin Doctor tools. They
    > offer a Spin doctor Master Home shop which has tools stands etc.
    >
    > They also offer park tool sets which are more expensive.
    >
    > For home maintenance are spin doctor components OK? Or do I have to go
    Park.
    > Thanks Chris

    I don't have any experience with Spin Doctor, but I was recently in the market for a cable cutter. I
    compared Park's CN-10 to Pedro's best one and there was no contest. Pedro's was made in China and
    the forged part stopped at the handles. Park's was 100% forged, handles included. I would be wary of
    the imitations, especially if the price seems too tantalizing.

    Pat in TX

  3. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > Park makes some nice tools, but they also have crappy tools in their line, so it is hard to say.
    > -----------------
    > Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

    Which ones have you had the bad experience with?

    Pat in TX

    >HI, Look for advice. I've got a catalog which sells both Park tools and Spin Doctor tools.
    >They offer a Spin doctor Master Home shop which has tools stands etc. They also offer park
    >tool sets which are more expensive. For home maintenance are spin doctor components OK? Or do
    >I have to go Park.

    Park makes some nice tools, but they also have crappy tools in their line, so it is hard to say.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  5. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Chris Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > HI, Look for advice. I've got a catalog which sells both Park tools and Spin Doctor tools. They
    > offer a Spin doctor Master Home shop which has tools stands etc.
    >
    > They also offer park tool sets which are more expensive.
    >
    > For home maintenance are spin doctor components OK? Or do I have to go Park. Thanks Chris

    Chris,

    Go with the Park Advanced Mechanic tool kit (AK-32). It will have most of the tools you'll need
    to get most small jobs done. I'd also get the PCS-1 stand and the green and red spanners SPA-1C
    and SPA-2C (to remove Shimano hollowtech cranks) I started with that basic kit and have added
    lots more since. You may want to get the TS-7 truing stand if you are interested in truing your
    wheels too. I know it's more expensive but you'll never break a Park tool. They are the Snap-On
    of the bike industry. You won't regret it.

    Andy

  6. R.White

    R.White Guest

    [email protected] (Andy) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Chris Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > HI, Look for advice. I've got a catalog which sells both Park tools and Spin Doctor tools. They
    > > offer a Spin doctor Master Home shop which has tools stands etc.
    > >
    > > They also offer park tool sets which are more expensive.
    > >
    > > For home maintenance are spin doctor components OK? Or do I have to go Park. Thanks Chris
    >

    > Chris,
    >
    > Go with the Park Advanced Mechanic tool kit (AK-32).

    <snip>
    >I know it's more expensive but you'll never break a Park tool.

    Please tell me you're kidding?

    >They are the Snap-On of the bike industry. You won't regret it.

    I hope this is the second of 2 jokes.

  7. Andy

    Andy Guest

    [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Andy) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Chris Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > HI, Look for advice. I've got a catalog which sells both Park tools and Spin Doctor tools.
    > > > They offer a Spin doctor Master Home shop which has tools stands etc.
    > > >
    > > > They also offer park tool sets which are more expensive.
    > > >
    > > > For home maintenance are spin doctor components OK? Or do I have to go Park. Thanks Chris
    > >

    > > Chris,

    > > Go with the Park Advanced Mechanic tool kit (AK-32).
    >
    > <snip>
    > >I know it's more expensive but you'll never break a Park tool.
    >
    > Please tell me you're kidding?
    >
    > >They are the Snap-On of the bike industry. You won't regret it.
    >
    > I hope this is the second of 2 jokes.

    Park does sell some less expensive tools in their line but if you get the more expensive option,
    I'll stand by my post. You won't have any trouble particularily if it's for the home mechanic. If
    you have had some trouble with Park (R.White) please advise.

  8. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > > Go with the Park Advanced Mechanic tool kit (AK-32).
    >
    > <snip>
    > >I know it's more expensive but you'll never break a Park tool.
    >
    > Please tell me you're kidding?
    >
    > >They are the Snap-On of the bike industry. You won't regret it.
    >
    > I hope this is the second of 2 jokes.

    I would be interested in hearing your experience with the Park tools---and which ones--that make you
    feel this way about them.

    Pat in TX

  9. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    >I know it's more expensive but you'll never break a Park tool.

    Not true. I've had park tools break.

    >They are the Snap-On of the bike industry.

    Not even close. I wouldn't even call them the craftsman of the bike industry.

    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  10. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >x-no-archive:yes
    >
    >> Park makes some nice tools, but they also have crappy tools in their line, so it is hard to say.
    >> -----------------
    >> Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)
    >
    >Which ones have you had the bad experience with?

    Offset brake centering wrench. Broke two of them in the same place.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  11. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:Yes

    > >I know it's more expensive but you'll never break a Park tool.
    >
    > Not true. I've had park tools break.
    >
    > >They are the Snap-On of the bike industry.
    >
    > Not even close. I wouldn't even call them the craftsman of the bike industry.
    >
    > -----------------
    > Alex

    Who makes better bike tools? Pat in TX

  12. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:23:32 -0500, <[email protected]>, "Pat"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >x-no-archive:Yes
    >
    >> >I know it's more expensive but you'll never break a Park tool.
    >>
    >> Not true. I've had park tools break.
    >>
    >> >They are the Snap-On of the bike industry.
    >>
    >> Not even close. I wouldn't even call them the craftsman of the bike industry.
    >>
    >> -----------------
    >> Alex
    >
    >Who makes better bike tools? Pat in TX

    Park is on par with Craftsman only as regards their widespread availability and range of items.

    Otherwise, to answer your question: Campagnolo, Bicycle Research, Silva, VAR, Hozan . . . But they
    don't offer as many different tools.
    --
    zk

  13. R.White

    R.White Guest

    [email protected] (Andy) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (R.White) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Andy) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "Chris Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:<[email protected]>...

    > > > Chris,
    >

    > > > Go with the Park Advanced Mechanic tool kit (AK-32).
    > >
    > > <snip>
    > > >I know it's more expensive but you'll never break a Park tool.
    > >
    > > Please tell me you're kidding?
    > >
    > > >They are the Snap-On of the bike industry. You won't regret it.
    > >
    > > I hope this is the second of 2 jokes.
    >

    > Park does sell some less expensive tools in their line but if you get the more expensive option,
    > I'll stand by my post. You won't have any trouble particularily if it's for the home mechanic. If
    > you have had some trouble with Park (R.White) please advise.

    Cartridge BB tools deform, freewheel remover deformation, stripped and deformed cone wrenches. The
    shop is full of 'em.

  14. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > >Who makes better bike tools? Pat in TX

    > Park is on par with Craftsman only as regards their widespread availability and range of items.
    >
    > Otherwise, to answer your question: Campagnolo, Bicycle Research, Silva, VAR, Hozan . . . But they
    > don't offer as many different tools.
    > --
    > zk

    Thanks. I really wanted to know. I'll see what I can find on those other brand names.

    Pat in TX

  15. Zoot Katz

    Zoot Katz Guest

    Sat, 2 Aug 2003 19:20:08 -0500, <[email protected]>, "Pat"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> >Who makes better bike tools? Pat in TX
    /szip
    >> Campagnolo, Bicycle Research, Silva, VAR, Hozan . . . But they don't offer as many
    >> different tools.
    >
    >Thanks. I really wanted to know. I'll see what I can find on those other brand names.

    Check The United Bicycle Tool Katalog here: http://www.cykling.de/infosider/pdf.htm

    They sell some Park tools for the consumer market and Park's professional tools as alternatives or
    where it may be the only tool available to do the job.

    Generally speaking, the quality of tools sold by the manufacturer of the component is at least equal
    to Park. The OEM tools often feature portability for tourists' kits while being perfectly adequate
    for the home mechanic's regular maintenance.

    I've some nicely finished Huret and Weinmann wrenches over thirty years old that still work.
    Campagnolo tools' finish and quality is better than that of their equipment. It appears outrageously
    over-priced until you think of it like buying art or jewellery.
    --
    zk

  16. Len

    Len Guest

    "Alex Rodriguez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >I know it's more expensive but you'll never break a Park tool.
    >
    > Not true. I've had park tools break.
    >
    > >They are the Snap-On of the bike industry.
    >
    > Not even close. I wouldn't even call them the craftsman of the bike industry.
    >
    > -----------------
    > Alex __O

    Actually, Wrench Force was Snap On's line bicycle tools. Figurtively,
    Campagnolo is the Snap On of the bike world, with price to match. Len

  17. Len

    Len Guest

    "Chris Smith" <[email protected]ogy.net> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > HI, Look for advice. I've got a catalog which sells both Park tools and Spin Doctor tools. They
    > offer a Spin doctor Master Home shop which has tools stands etc.
    >
    > They also offer park tool sets which are more expensive.
    >
    > For home maintenance are spin doctor components OK? Or do I have to go
    Park.
    > Thanks Chris

    Sorrry for the late post. If it was my choice, I'd pick the Park tool kit. I'll tell you from years
    of experiance, sometimes cheap tool is very expensive, in many ways. The Park tools I have feel
    pretty good, and i think they will hold to occasional use that is not too heavy, the spin doctors I
    have seem really less reliable. Now, I am a heavy equipment mechanic, but I like fiddling with my
    bikes. You can pick them up, and carry them, work on them in the living room, they don't get you
    very dirty, and they can carry you anywhere you want to go within reason. Len

  18. Pat

    Pat Guest

    x-no-archive:yes

    > Sorrry for the late post. If it was my choice, I'd pick the Park tool
    kit.
    > I'll tell you from years of experiance, sometimes cheap tool is very expensive, in many ways. The
    > Park tools I have feel pretty good, and i
    think
    > they will hold to occasional use that is not too heavy, the spin doctors I have seem really less
    > reliable. Now, I am a heavy equipment mechanic, but I like fiddling with my bikes. You can pick
    > them up, and carry them, work on them in the living room,
    they
    > don't get you very dirty, and they can carry you anywhere you want to go within reason. Len

    Hey! What's wrong with the dining room? <G>

    Pat in TX