Parking at Kooyong or thereabouts Sundays

mended

New Member
Apr 27, 2005
Hi, I am trying to organise a short ride on Sunday to Southbank. There are a few of us but some people have only just got their bikes so I don't want to go too far.

I thought we could go from Kooyong (or close) to Southbank, have coffee and ride back. Trouble is, I don't know the area too well, does anyone know of a good area close to the track that we could park the cars and start?

Any help would be great! :)

mended said:
Hi, I am trying to organise a short ride on Sunday to Southbank. There are a few of us but some people have only just got their bikes so I don't want to go too far.

I thought we could go from Kooyong (or close) to Southbank, have coffee and ride back. Trouble is, I don't know the area too well, does anyone know of a good area close to the track that we could park the cars and start?

Any help would be great! :)
There is a carpark near the corner of Toorak and Auburn Rd (south of Hawthorn velodrome). It is public and quite open. A lot of people use it as a starting point for commuting - drive the 4wd there and ride the rest.

Another option is parking on the Boulevard in Richmond near Scotch and St Kevin's. It's a bit closer to town and the track runs beside the road.

Thanks for that speedy response sinus... I will check it out on the map. :)

mended said:
Hi, I am trying to organise a short ride on Sunday to Southbank. There are a few of us but some people have only just got their bikes so I don't want to go too far.

I thought we could go from Kooyong (or close) to Southbank, have coffee and ride back. Trouble is, I don't know the area too well, does anyone know of a good area close to the track that we could park the cars and start?

Any help would be great! :)

if yer thinkin of driving to a meet/leave point there's a carpark next to the Hawthorn Velo(cough 'bumpa')drome at the south end or Robinsons Rd, approx 500(?) east of Glenferrie/Kooyong. enjoy

for other rides in the area check:
http://www.boroondarabug.org/other_resources/BUG_map_2.pdf

Cool... we are meeting at 10 am and I hope this is the start of a few rides. Just social but fun and healthy!!

:)

mended said:
Cool... we are meeting at 10 am and I hope this is the start of a few rides. Just social but fun and healthy!!

:)

way to go! might be worth checkin out some of the other Boroondarabug rides listed on the 'rides' page. Camberwell Downhill Gourmet Bike Riders
sounds like something that might peek your interest

enjoy. ride on :D

flyingdutch said:
way to go! might be worth checkin out some of the other Boroondarabug rides listed on the 'rides' page. Camberwell Downhill Gourmet Bike Riders
sounds like something that might peek your interest

enjoy. ride on :D

All seems like a lot of effort for at most a 10k ride, there are bike paths over most of melbourne, why not find something that is a 5k ride along a bike path near your house and ride along it to a coffee venue. Just think that riding becomes a lot of hassle if you have to get in a car to do it.

Better still tell us what are you are in and we'll see what we can suggest.

sinus wrote:
> mended Wrote:
>
>>Hi, I am trying to organise a short ride on Sunday to Southbank. There
>>are a few of us but some people have only just got their bikes so I
>>don't want to go too far.
>>
>>I thought we could go from Kooyong (or close) to Southbank, have coffee
>>and ride back. Trouble is, I don't know the area too well, does anyone
>>know of a good area close to the track that we could park the cars and
>>start?
>>
>>Any help would be great! :)

> There is a carpark near the corner of Toorak and Auburn Rd (south of
> Hawthorn velodrome). It is public and quite open. A lot of people use
> it as a starting point for commuting - drive the 4wd there and ride the
> rest.
>
> Another option is parking on the Boulevard in Richmond near Scotch and
> St Kevin's. It's a bit closer to town and the track runs beside the
> road.

Or you could park ´at´ hawthorn velo. Its about another klick klick
and a half furthur.

It is a bit of effort but we come from different places. We are a group of dancers and a few of us went riding last year and the idea has grown, now we have more that have bought bikes and want to come along!

Last time we did this ride we went from Oakleigh but not everyone can do that just yet. I cycle from my house usually as there are plenty of tracks around.

It's just something we enjoy and we won't always go together but every now and again we thought we would do it to give some confidence to the new cyclists.

One of the people used to own a bike shop so he has some useful hints and tips that he can share too :) One female is going on the 9 day bike ride coming up and she is a fairly new rider.

But thanks for all the comments - we will get better as summer progresses!!

So pleased I found this site - it is great and I get a lot of information from the comments.

:)

sinus wrote:
> mended Wrote:
>
>>Hi, I am trying to organise a short ride on Sunday to Southbank. There
>>are a few of us but some people have only just got their bikes so I
>>don't want to go too far.
>>
>>I thought we could go from Kooyong (or close) to Southbank, have coffee
>>and ride back. Trouble is, I don't know the area too well, does anyone
>>know of a good area close to the track that we could park the cars and
>>start?
>>
>>Any help would be great! :)

> There is a carpark near the corner of Toorak and Auburn Rd (south of
> Hawthorn velodrome). It is public and quite open. A lot of people use
> it as a starting point for commuting - drive the 4wd there and ride the
> rest.
>
> Another option is parking on the Boulevard in Richmond near Scotch and
> St Kevin's. It's a bit closer to town and the track runs beside the
> road.

Greetings,
Horrible thought - get out of your steel cocoon for once and catch the
frigging train. And it's only $2.50 on Sundays as well.
Regards,
Ray.

mended wrote:
> It is a bit of effort but we come from different places. We are a group
> of dancers and a few of us went riding last year and the idea has
> grown, now we have more that have bought bikes and want to come along!
>
> Last time we did this ride we went from Oakleigh but not everyone can
> do that just yet. I cycle from my house usually as there are plenty of
> tracks around.
>
> It's just something we enjoy and we won't always go together but every
> now and again we thought we would do it to give some confidence to the
> new cyclists.
>
> One of the people used to own a bike shop so he has some useful hints
> and tips that he can share too :) One female is going on the 9 day bike
> ride coming up and she is a fairly new rider.
>
> But thanks for all the comments - we will get better as summer
> progresses!!
>
> So pleased I found this site - it is great and I get a lot of
> information from the comments.

Mostly about the skill and safety of 4wds. :)

Ray Peace wrote:
> sinus wrote:
>
>> mended Wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, I am trying to organise a short ride on Sunday to Southbank. There
>>> are a few of us but some people have only just got their bikes so I
>>> don't want to go too far.
>>>
>>> I thought we could go from Kooyong (or close) to Southbank, have coffee
>>> and ride back. Trouble is, I don't know the area too well, does anyone
>>> know of a good area close to the track that we could park the cars and
>>> start?
>>>
>>> Any help would be great! :)

>> There is a carpark near the corner of Toorak and Auburn Rd (south of
>> Hawthorn velodrome). It is public and quite open. A lot of people use
>> it as a starting point for commuting - drive the 4wd there and ride the
>> rest.
>> Another option is parking on the Boulevard in Richmond near Scotch and
>> St Kevin's. It's a bit closer to town and the track runs beside the
>> road.
>>

> Greetings,
> Horrible thought - get out of your steel cocoon for once and
> catch the frigging train. And it's only $2.50 on Sundays as well.
> Regards,
> Ray.

Small steps. Small steps.

Ray Peace said:

Greetings,
Horrible thought - get out of your steel cocoon for once and catch the
frigging train. And it's only $2.50 on Sundays as well.
Regards,
Ray.
Or how about drive to a safe place, ride, build up fitness and get familiar with bikes and riding. Keep doing this and focus on the joy of the bike. Eventually you'll want to avoid driving because you can. The easier and the more fun it is now, the more likely you are to keep doing it.

"sinus" Wrote:

> Or how about drive to a safe place, ride, build up fitness and get
> familiar with bikes and riding. Keep doing this and focus on the joy of
> the bike. Eventually you'll want to avoid driving because you can. The
> easier and the more fun it is now, the more likely you are to keep
> doing it.
>

> --
> sinus

On a similar note, I ride from Port Melb to Mornington and back, no probs.
Went for a drive out there about a week later and end up getting a sore back
from sitting in the car (and people say saddles get uncomfortable :p ). ..
Anyways .. i guess its as good a sign as any that i should sell the car
shortly..

Ash