Parking at Mungrisdale

Paul Brown

Guest
I'm hoping to get up to the Lakes tomorrow for my first walk there in six months. The planned
itinerary for the day is Bowscale Fell, Bannerdale Crags, Mungrisdale Common and Souther Fell from
Mungrisdale. I have been through the village once before so know about the New Inn. Do you think it
would be OK to utilise the pub car park or, if not, is there anywhere else nearby suitable to leave
the car for a few hours?

Paul
--
There are 10 types of people in this world
Those that understand binary and those that don't

---

On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:05:35 -0000, "Paul Brown"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm hoping to get up to the Lakes tomorrow for my first walk there in six months. The planned
>itinerary for the day is Bowscale Fell, Bannerdale Crags, Mungrisdale Common and Souther Fell from
>Mungrisdale. I have been through the village once before so know about the New Inn. Do you think it
>would be OK to utilise the pub car park or, if not, is there anywhere else nearby suitable to leave
>the car for a few hours?
>
>Paul

There's a little car park. No problem.

--

Paul

My Lake District walking site (updated 29th September 2003):

http://paulrooney.netfirms.com

Last time I was there, about 6 years ago, there was car parking in the village. I have a feeling the
parking was next to the road, with an "honesty" type box for paying. I expect it has all changed
now, but hopefully car parking is still allowed, even if it is pay and display.

Paul

"Paul Upham" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Last time I was there, about 6 years ago, there was car parking in the village. I have a feeling
> the parking was next to the road, with an "honesty" type box for paying. I expect it has all
> changed now, but hopefully car parking is still allowed, even if it is pay and display.
>
> Paul

Still the same - We go there several times a year - depends on the meet it can get very busy some
days... but usually a space there - or if you drive arounf the back of the Mill Inn you can continue
up the track there and park on the track - but not quite in the pub...

Peter

---

"Jhimmy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> £1 in the box. There are some other free car parking spaces further along the road. But, I like to
> contribute to the community - well for £1, not the Bloody £5 NT charges in Langdale to park.

Yup, we found the roadside parking after driving right through the village and back - thanks for all
the pointers. The sign asking for a donation is currently being obscured by a portakabin but we put
a quid in the box and were on our way.

We had a fantastic day out, the seeing was as clear as a bell despite the lack of rain to flush the
atmosphere lately, though it was also perishingly cold with a driving wind on the tops. (It's the
first time I haven't exuded a single drop of sweat on a walk anyway!) We had to warm up in the Mill
Inn afterwards with a half or two. :)

Paul
--
There are 10 types of people in this world Those that understand binary and those that don't

---

In message <[email protected]>
"Paul Brown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Jhimmy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >
> > £1 in the box. There are some other free car parking spaces further along the road. But, I like
> > to contribute to the community - well for £1, not the Bloody £5 NT charges in Langdale to park.
>
> Yup, we found the roadside parking after driving right through the village and back - thanks for
> all the pointers. The sign asking for a donation is currently being obscured by a portakabin but
> we put a quid in the box and were on our way.

Any idea what the Portakabin is doing there? I'm slightly concerned about a possible case of
planning idiocy.

> We had a fantastic day out, the seeing was as clear as a bell despite the lack of rain to flush
> the atmosphere lately, though it was also perishingly cold with a driving wind on the tops. (It's
> the first time I haven't exuded a single drop of sweat on a walk anyway!) We had to warm up in the
> Mill Inn afterwards with a half or two. :)

It was certainly cold enough on the top of Blencathra yesterday, although only on exposed skin (I'm
sure I used to have something that covered my ears, and perhaps not shaving that morning would've
been a good idea!)

--
Simon Challands, creator of The Acorn Elite Pages: http://elite.acornarcade.com/ Three Dimensional
Encounters: http://www.3dfrontier.fsnet.co.uk/

"Simon Challands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Any idea what the Portakabin is doing there? I'm slightly concerned about a possible case of
> planning idiocy.

I'm not sure. There was some metal fencing around it too, suggesting some resorative work was
underway, and it was this more than the Portakabin itself that was obscuring the main sign. To be
honest I didn't really pay much attention to it. :-|

> It was certainly cold enough on the top of Blencathra yesterday, although only on exposed skin

Core temperature was stable enough, only my face and hands (when removing gloves to take snaps) felt
the full force of the bone-chilling winds. We saw a couple in padded jackets and balaclavas with
only their eyes unprotected as we dropped off Bowscale Fell, and I remember commenting to my fiancée
how well wrapped up they looked. As we walked over Mungrisdale Common I wish we'd had the same head
protection, though our hats and hoods did keep most of the wind chill at bay.

Paul
--
There are 10 types of people in this world Those that understand binary and those that don't

---

In message <[email protected]>
"Paul Brown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Simon Challands" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> > It was certainly cold enough on the top of Blencathra yesterday, although only on exposed skin
>
> Core temperature was stable enough, only my face and hands (when removing gloves to take snaps)
> felt the full force of the bone-chilling winds. We saw a couple in padded jackets and balaclavas
> with only their eyes unprotected as we dropped off Bowscale Fell, and I remember commenting to my
> fiancée how well wrapped up they looked. As we walked over Mungrisdale Common I wish we'd had the
> same head protection, though our hats and hoods did keep most of the wind chill at bay.

I wasn't wearing anything particularly designed to be windproof (just a T- shirt, pullover, and
pretty light jacket), and that was fine when I was moving. It was just my ears that got really cold,
and then not for long. They might have been OK if I'd bothered getting out the jacket with a hood on
it I'd lugged along with me.

It was only around the summit that I noticed that much wind, to be honest. I'd gone up Hall's Fell,
and only caught the occasional gust, since it's reasonably surrounded.

A very nice day, those minor ****les aside. And as a bonus I discovered I wasn't quite as unfit as I
thought I was!