Parking in cycle lanes:

In article <[email protected]
berlin.de>, [email protected] spouted forth into
alt.mountain-bike...

> "MeatballTurbo" <[email protected]> wrote in
> message
> news:[email protected]... In
> article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >
> > "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > I'm not sure it is against the law.
> >
> > I'm in the UK. Here it is illegal, with a standing fine
> > of around £30 for
> > first offence. It is also an instant fail to even put
> > a tyre on the devide line of a cycle lane during a
> > car test.
>
> "Only if it is a solid white line surrounding the
> bike lane."
>
> "If it is a broken white line, you can enter when
> necessary. You as the driver have to decide if it is
> necessary."
>
> I thought the 'necessary' was avoiding an accident only?

Nope, they are like ghost islands (hashing in the road)
that form approaches to roundabouts, traffic filters and
slip roads.

If the ghost island has a broken border, you can make the
choice to enter, but are advised that you should only when
necessary. I only padded my car test 3 years ago, and the
law was the same then, and even then my instructor told me
I would be expected to use the ghost island to enter a
filter or roundabout lane, if I wasn'yt causing an
obstruction, or endangering anyone else on my test to prove
I was making progress.

Solid bordered ones like on a motorway slip are strictly no
entry and to be treated like a concrete traffic island.

> It's still illegal to park in the damned things, according
> to my police sources...

I think, but I'm certain that you are right about parking in
them, but I imagine that there would be some kind of parking
restrictions (yellow/red lines) in place already.

--
Carl Robson (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot) http://www.bouncing-
czechs.com

news:<[email protected]>...
> > <RANT MODE!!!!!!!>
> <snip GRS rant>
>
> This is a mountain bike newsgroup, Shaunie.

You oughta know better than to think IGAF what kinda group
this is, Jock.

> Take that roadie jive to rec.bicycles for someone who
> gives a rats ass.

I don't give a rat's **** that you don't give a rat's ****,
Meester Duff - there's more'n just you in this here NG.

> Now go ride in the dirt, ya silly sod.

Shaun aRe