Parking in cycle lanes:

"Doki" wrote:

> Mark Fowler wrote:
>
> > Keep an implement of some sort about your person when riding in town,
> > its surpsrising how quietly you can gouge a cars door as you go past.
> > I tend to use the edge of a multitool thats in my saddle bag - you
> > see them pull in ahead of you (or even better they are already
> > parked), you pull out your "tool" and just drag it across their door
> > / wing as you slowly pedal past. To report you they will have to say
> > they were illegally parked in a cycle lane - not something drivers
> > want to do. Your defence is that your bars must have done it as their
> > inconsiderate parking forced you into a tiny gap in the traffic that
> > eveidently wasnt big enough.
> > Plus its a real good feeling. Especially if its a BMW.

> That sounds like a good idea. I wouldn't be at all surprised if someone
> spots you at it and gives you a bloody good hiding for it one day. Not that
> I'd condone such things of course.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/dorset/3632417.stm

"Tyre-slasher jailed for 16 months"

A cyclist who slashed about 2,000 car tyres after being soaked by a motorist
has been jailed for 16 months.
Ashley Carpenter, who admitted slashing the tyres in 10 days, was sentenced at
Bournemouth Crown Court.

He pleaded guilty to eight specimen charges of damaging the vehicles at Dorset
Magistrates' Court in March.

It was said Carpenter, of Bournemouth, launched his campaign against motorists
in December 2003, after being splashed when a car drove through a puddle.

"Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> <RANT MODE!!!!!!!>

<snip GRS rant>

This is a mountain bike newsgroup, Shaunie. Take that roadie jive to
rec.bicycles for someone who gives a rats ass.

Now go ride in the dirt, ya silly sod.

JD

"adownhiller" <*myhandle*@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> A cyclist who slashed about 2,000 car tyres after being soaked by a motorist
> has been jailed for 16 months.

Just another of my fantasies. Ah, if I think hard enough about
someone painting big penises on the back of every 4x4 in town, perhaps
it'll happen...

Alex

"adownhiller" <*myhandle*@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/dorset/3632417.stm
>
> "Tyre-slasher jailed for 16 months"
> A cyclist who slashed about 2,000 car tyres after being soaked by a

motorist
> has been jailed for 16 months.
> Ashley Carpenter, who admitted slashing the tyres in 10 days, was

sentenced at
> Bournemouth Crown Court.
> He pleaded guilty to eight specimen charges of damaging the vehicles at

Dorset
> Magistrates' Court in March.
> It was said Carpenter, of Bournemouth, launched his campaign against

motorists
> in December 2003, after being splashed when a car drove through a puddle.

2 true examples of British justice regarding cars:

1) You slash car tyres (inanimate objects), you go to jail for 16 months.
2) You drive with no license, no insurance and no road tax. You run over a
young boy as he crosses the road and kill him. You then run away from the
scene. When you are caught you are jailed for 8 months but then get it
reduced as it was above the maximum sentence for the crime.
So killing people is only half as bad as slashing tyres?
Tell me thats not screwed up. Cyclists dont get any protection from the law
so at times we have to take it into our own hands. Just make sure you dont
get caught!!
Mark

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] spouted forth into alt.mountain-bike...

> "MeatballTurbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> >
> > "Doki" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...

> > > I'm not sure it is against the law.

> > I'm in the UK. Here it is illegal, with a standing fine of around £30 for

> > first offence. It is also an instant fail to even put a tyre on the devide
> > line of a cycle lane during a car test.

> "Only if it is a solid white line surrounding the bike lane."
>
> "If it is a broken white line, you can enter when necessary. You as the
> driver have to decide if it is necessary."
>
> I thought the 'necessary' was avoiding an accident only?

Nope, they are like ghost islands (hashing in the road) that form
approaches to roundabouts, traffic filters and slip roads.

If the ghost island has a broken border, you can make the choice to
enter, but are advised that you should only when necessary. I only
padded my car test 3 years ago, and the law was the same then, and even
then my instructor told me I would be expected to use the ghost island
to enter a filter or roundabout lane, if I wasn'yt causing an
obstruction, or endangering anyone else on my test to prove I was making
progress.

Solid bordered ones like on a motorway slip are strictly no entry and to
be treated like a concrete traffic island.

> It's still illegal to park in the damned things, according to my police
> sources...

I think, but I'm certain that you are right about parking in them, but I
imagine that there would be some kind of parking restrictions
(yellow/red lines) in place already.

--
Carl Robson
(The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

news:<[email protected]>...
> > <RANT MODE!!!!!!!>

> <snip GRS rant>
>
> This is a mountain bike newsgroup, Shaunie.

You oughta know better than to think IGAF what kinda group this is, Jock.

> Take that roadie jive to
> rec.bicycles for someone who gives a rats ass.

I don't give a rat's **** that you don't give a rat's ****, Meester Duff -
there's more'n just you in this here NG.

> Now go ride in the dirt, ya silly sod.

Stupid **** - you ever _SEEN_ the roads around here?!?!?!?

Shaun aRe