Parking in cycling lanes in Adelaide?

Demosthenes

Guest
Hi,

I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal to
drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen this
enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!

In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..

Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing this
law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems utterly bizarre
- I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so everyone is happy??

Thoughts please?

Thanks!

I think you'll be knocking your head against a brick wall because the State Government has just cut
funding in the Dept of Transport for bicycle projects etc.

It's amazing when you consider the Adelaide City Council were trying to encourage more people to
cycle in and around Adelaide. I can remember some story in the press about them wanting to be more
like Amsterdam or something, laughable isn't it?

I won't even bother going into the hypocrisy of the State Government's backslapping where the
highly successful and most enjoyable Jacobs Creek TDU is concerned. It generates huge interest for
SA Tourism and the profile of the state in general, so why not invest some of the economical
proceeds back into making Adelaide more cyclist friendly? No, instead they penny pinch and cut
funds, go figure.

But I do agree that the bicycle lanes in Adelaide are a joke. If there isn't a multitude of parked
cars to dodge, then never fear, because you'll have more than your fair share of metal drain covers
etc to keep you on your toes.

Demosthenes wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal
> to drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen
> this enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!
>
> In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
> more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..
>
> Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing
> this law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems
> utterly bizarre - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so
> everyone is happy??
>
> Thoughts please?
>
> Thanks!

yes good luck, I've lost count of the number of cars parked in bike lanes or clearways on major
roads. Some bike lanes though are time based eg.
7:30-9am, 4:30-6pm and this causes confusion amongst everyone. Oh you mean I can't park here, sorry
about that. Other cities tow cars that are in clearways....go figure!

How many patrol cars do you see on the roads anyway?? Not enough to stop for something as trivial as
a bike lane I'm sure (yes they do have other work). Maybe a word to Leon at 5AA who regularly talks
to the Police about this type of stuff??

Everyone happy on the roads in Adelaide?? you must be kidding...I've ridden and driven all around
the world and Adelaide has the worst drivers I have come across, especially in relation to cyclists.
Yes you get the odd person who gives you room or hangs back without trying to turn immediately in
front of you, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule from my experiences.

keep your eyes and ears open and happy cycling. Scotty

"Demosthenes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal
> to drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen
> this enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!
>
> In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
> more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..
>
> Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing
> this law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems
> utterly bizarre - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so
> everyone is happy??
>
> Thoughts please?
>
> Thanks!

I think I will call the radio as you suggested...

Scotty wrote:

> yes good luck, I've lost count of the number of cars parked in bike lanes or clearways on major
> roads. Some bike lanes though are time based eg.
> 7:30-9am, 4:30-6pm and this causes confusion amongst everyone. Oh you mean I can't park here,
> sorry about that. Other cities tow cars that are in clearways....go figure!
>
> How many patrol cars do you see on the roads anyway?? Not enough to stop for something as trivial
> as a bike lane I'm sure (yes they do have other work). Maybe a word to Leon at 5AA who regularly
> talks to the Police about this type of stuff??
>
> Everyone happy on the roads in Adelaide?? you must be kidding...I've ridden and driven all around
> the world and Adelaide has the worst drivers I have come across, especially in relation to
> cyclists. Yes you get the odd person who gives you room or hangs back without trying to turn
> immediately in front of you, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule from my
> experiences.
>
> keep your eyes and ears open and happy cycling. Scotty
>
> "Demosthenes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal
>>to drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen
>>this enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!
>>
>>In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
>>more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..
>>
>>Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing
>>this law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems
>>utterly bizarre - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so
>>everyone is happy??
>>
>>Thoughts please?
>>
>>Thanks!

Critical Mass did have a word file suitable for printing on standard office labels which said:

"I parked in the bike lane and all I got was this lousy sticker."

Perhaps you should track some down....

Someone in Sydney has some with:

this sticker shouldn't be here nor should this vehicle please MOVE IT

just printed on those computer address labels - very simple and painful enough to remove from the
windscreen that they work.

"Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Critical Mass did have a word file suitable for printing on standard office labels which said:
>
> "I parked in the bike lane and all I got was this lousy sticker."
>
> Perhaps you should track some down....

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:58:37 +0930, Demosthenes
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal to
>drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen this
>enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!
>
>In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
>more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..
>
>Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing
>this law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems utterly
>bizarre - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so everyone is happy??
>
>Thoughts please?
>
>Thanks!

People park in the cycle lanes in sydney all the time, I don't really care, I just go onto the road
to pass the cars

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:59:57 +1000, Arpit <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:58:37 +0930, Demosthenes
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal
>>to drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen
>>this enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!
>>
>>In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
>>more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..
>>
>>Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing
>>this law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems
>>utterly bizarre - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so
>>everyone is happy??
>>
>>Thoughts please?
>>
>>Thanks!
>
>People park in the cycle lanes in sydney all the time, I don't really care, I just go onto the road
>to pass the cars

Ok, Im a new cyclist, and this week its come from not caring to being downnright annoying,
especially if its on a bike PATH, and theres nowhere to go. Garbage bins are bad too. SO this is
what im going to
do . Every ride, I'm gonna aim for 1 car/ bin removal. Ill yell at the driver, or carry the bin up
and leave it pressed agianst the house's front door or whatever.

at this rate, maybe next week ill be scratching and denting the cars <g

"Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:59:57 +1000, Arpit

<...>

> Ok, Im a new cyclist, and this week its come from not caring to being downnright annoying,
> especially if its on a bike PATH, and theres nowhere to go. Garbage bins are bad too. SO this is
> what im going to
> do . Every ride, I'm gonna aim for 1 car/ bin removal. Ill yell at the driver, or carry the bin up
> and leave it pressed agianst the house's front door or whatever.
>
> at this rate, maybe next week ill be scratching and denting the cars
> <g>

Yeah - I did that with a kind of perverse malitious glee today.

<vent> Park at the end of the street had the first cricket game of the season, and I was out with my
2 kids and 2 others for a ride - 4 kids between 3 and 6 years old.

Then, came across this guy who had parked his car (where there are no parking restriction on the
street). He had pulled his commodore up onto the (wide) nature strip, covered the footpath right up
to the fence.

So, first time going past (moving 50 meters backwards and forwards between the fast 6 YO and my slow
moving 3 YO on her push car) told the guy to get off the footpath.

Didn't move.

Came back again, set my stainless steel pedals in the right direction and dragged my bike through
between the fence and his car - dragging the cleats along his bumper, then asked him why he was
sitting in his car like that.

His response was so he could see the cricket! I swore at him and told him to park on the street and
sit on one of the ample benches around the park. He still didn't move, but finally did when I asked
him "are you drunk or stupid?"

</vent>

And, as from another thread, I was legally allowed to be on the footpath with the kids ;-)

Tim

A couple of years ago I pulled up to the motorbike parking at the back of UTS, to find some
****** had parked a car in the middle of it. I found a spot further down the road and wandered in
for my lecture.

Three hours later I came back out. The car was still there, but had some really impressive boot
sized dents in a couple of the doors.

Made my day, that one.

Regards,

Suzy