Parking in cycling lanes in Adelaide?

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Demosthenes, Oct 1, 2003.

  1. Demosthenes

    Demosthenes Guest

    Hi,

    I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal to
    drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen this
    enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!

    In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
    more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..

    Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing this
    law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems utterly bizarre
    - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so everyone is happy??

    Thoughts please?

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. Bluenose

    Bluenose Guest

    I think you'll be knocking your head against a brick wall because the State Government has just cut
    funding in the Dept of Transport for bicycle projects etc.

    It's amazing when you consider the Adelaide City Council were trying to encourage more people to
    cycle in and around Adelaide. I can remember some story in the press about them wanting to be more
    like Amsterdam or something, laughable isn't it?

    I won't even bother going into the hypocrisy of the State Government's backslapping where the
    highly successful and most enjoyable Jacobs Creek TDU is concerned. It generates huge interest for
    SA Tourism and the profile of the state in general, so why not invest some of the economical
    proceeds back into making Adelaide more cyclist friendly? No, instead they penny pinch and cut
    funds, go figure.

    But I do agree that the bicycle lanes in Adelaide are a joke. If there isn't a multitude of parked
    cars to dodge, then never fear, because you'll have more than your fair share of metal drain covers
    etc to keep you on your toes.

    Demosthenes wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal
    > to drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen
    > this enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!
    >
    > In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
    > more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..
    >
    > Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing
    > this law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems
    > utterly bizarre - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so
    > everyone is happy??
    >
    > Thoughts please?
    >
    > Thanks!

  3. Scotty

    Scotty Guest

    yes good luck, I've lost count of the number of cars parked in bike lanes or clearways on major
    roads. Some bike lanes though are time based eg.
    7:30-9am, 4:30-6pm and this causes confusion amongst everyone. Oh you mean I can't park here, sorry
    about that. Other cities tow cars that are in clearways....go figure!

    How many patrol cars do you see on the roads anyway?? Not enough to stop for something as trivial as
    a bike lane I'm sure (yes they do have other work). Maybe a word to Leon at 5AA who regularly talks
    to the Police about this type of stuff??

    Everyone happy on the roads in Adelaide?? you must be kidding...I've ridden and driven all around
    the world and Adelaide has the worst drivers I have come across, especially in relation to cyclists.
    Yes you get the odd person who gives you room or hangs back without trying to turn immediately in
    front of you, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule from my experiences.

    keep your eyes and ears open and happy cycling. Scotty

    "Demosthenes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal
    > to drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen
    > this enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!
    >
    > In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
    > more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..
    >
    > Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing
    > this law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems
    > utterly bizarre - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so
    > everyone is happy??
    >
    > Thoughts please?
    >
    > Thanks!

  4. Demosthenes

    Demosthenes Guest

    I think I will call the radio as you suggested...

    Scotty wrote:

    > yes good luck, I've lost count of the number of cars parked in bike lanes or clearways on major
    > roads. Some bike lanes though are time based eg.
    > 7:30-9am, 4:30-6pm and this causes confusion amongst everyone. Oh you mean I can't park here,
    > sorry about that. Other cities tow cars that are in clearways....go figure!
    >
    > How many patrol cars do you see on the roads anyway?? Not enough to stop for something as trivial
    > as a bike lane I'm sure (yes they do have other work). Maybe a word to Leon at 5AA who regularly
    > talks to the Police about this type of stuff??
    >
    > Everyone happy on the roads in Adelaide?? you must be kidding...I've ridden and driven all around
    > the world and Adelaide has the worst drivers I have come across, especially in relation to
    > cyclists. Yes you get the odd person who gives you room or hangs back without trying to turn
    > immediately in front of you, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule from my
    > experiences.
    >
    > keep your eyes and ears open and happy cycling. Scotty
    >
    > "Demosthenes" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal
    >>to drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen
    >>this enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!
    >>
    >>In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
    >>more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..
    >>
    >>Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing
    >>this law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems
    >>utterly bizarre - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so
    >>everyone is happy??
    >>
    >>Thoughts please?
    >>
    >>Thanks!

  5. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Critical Mass did have a word file suitable for printing on standard office labels which said:

    "I parked in the bike lane and all I got was this lousy sticker."

    Perhaps you should track some down....

  6. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    Someone in Sydney has some with:

    this sticker shouldn't be here nor should this vehicle please MOVE IT

    just printed on those computer address labels - very simple and painful enough to remove from the
    windscreen that they work.

    "Shabby" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Critical Mass did have a word file suitable for printing on standard office labels which said:
    >
    > "I parked in the bike lane and all I got was this lousy sticker."
    >
    > Perhaps you should track some down....

  7. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:58:37 +0930, Demosthenes
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal to
    >drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen this
    >enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!
    >
    >In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
    >more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..
    >
    >Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing
    >this law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems utterly
    >bizarre - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so everyone is happy??
    >
    >Thoughts please?
    >
    >Thanks!

    People park in the cycle lanes in sydney all the time, I don't really care, I just go onto the road
    to pass the cars

  8. Arpit

    Arpit Guest

    On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:59:57 +1000, Arpit <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 11:58:37 +0930, Demosthenes
    ><[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>I was reading a learning to drive booklet for South Australia and it mentions that it is illegal
    >>to drive or park in cycling lanes in South Australia?? Is this a JOKE???? I have NEVER EVER seen
    >>this enforced anywhere in Adelaide!!!!
    >>
    >>In fact it seems rather pointless to have cycling lanes along major roads when they appear to be
    >>more for the benefit of drivers looking for a convenient parking spot than anything else..
    >>
    >>Can't we launch a mass campaign on the Adelaide councils and police to actually start enforcing
    >>this law?? There seems to be NO respect for cyclists on the road in Adelaide which seems
    >>utterly bizarre - I would have thought that more cyclists means less road congestion so
    >>everyone is happy??
    >>
    >>Thoughts please?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >
    >People park in the cycle lanes in sydney all the time, I don't really care, I just go onto the road
    >to pass the cars

    Ok, Im a new cyclist, and this week its come from not caring to being downnright annoying,
    especially if its on a bike PATH, and theres nowhere to go. Garbage bins are bad too. SO this is
    what im going to
    do . Every ride, I'm gonna aim for 1 car/ bin removal. Ill yell at the driver, or carry the bin up
    and leave it pressed agianst the house's front door or whatever.

    at this rate, maybe next week ill be scratching and denting the cars <g

  9. Tim Jones

    Tim Jones Guest

    "Arpit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:59:57 +1000, Arpit

    <...>

    > Ok, Im a new cyclist, and this week its come from not caring to being downnright annoying,
    > especially if its on a bike PATH, and theres nowhere to go. Garbage bins are bad too. SO this is
    > what im going to
    > do . Every ride, I'm gonna aim for 1 car/ bin removal. Ill yell at the driver, or carry the bin up
    > and leave it pressed agianst the house's front door or whatever.
    >
    > at this rate, maybe next week ill be scratching and denting the cars
    > <g>

    Yeah - I did that with a kind of perverse malitious glee today.

    <vent> Park at the end of the street had the first cricket game of the season, and I was out with my
    2 kids and 2 others for a ride - 4 kids between 3 and 6 years old.

    Then, came across this guy who had parked his car (where there are no parking restriction on the
    street). He had pulled his commodore up onto the (wide) nature strip, covered the footpath right up
    to the fence.

    So, first time going past (moving 50 meters backwards and forwards between the fast 6 YO and my slow
    moving 3 YO on her push car) told the guy to get off the footpath.

    Didn't move.

    Came back again, set my stainless steel pedals in the right direction and dragged my bike through
    between the fence and his car - dragging the cleats along his bumper, then asked him why he was
    sitting in his car like that.

    His response was so he could see the cricket! I swore at him and told him to park on the street and
    sit on one of the ample benches around the park. He still didn't move, but finally did when I asked
    him "are you drunk or stupid?"

    </vent>

    And, as from another thread, I was legally allowed to be on the footpath with the kids ;-)

    Tim

  10. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    A couple of years ago I pulled up to the motorbike parking at the back of UTS, to find some
    wanker had parked a car in the middle of it. I found a spot further down the road and wandered in
    for my lecture.

    Three hours later I came back out. The car was still there, but had some really impressive boot
    sized dents in a couple of the doors.

    Made my day, that one.

    Regards,

    Suzy