Parking When Commuting

I'm lucky my work has a dedicated bike storage room! I am in walking distance to some good stores so I do a lot of shopping on foot to avoid the bike parking logistics fiasco. In my teen years too many nice bikes were stolen from my friends and I that we really had to start taking it seriously. One (of many ;) ) reasons why I also abandoned quick-release.

I am in a weird site of this, because last time commuting every single day was when I was working in a big mall. I parked my bike every day before the mall and was every day afraid of someone stealing it.

I was new in the job ad one time my boss mentioned that I could bring my bike to the changing room (third floor in a mall) but her face said something very different.

So I am not the "better safe than sorry" more like the 'please don't steal my bike" kind of person.

I have a very interesting relationship.

Ya see, every couple weeks I purchase a dozen donuts for the smokers at work.

They are forced outside to smoke and they all go to this one designated spot.

And I park right there so they can keep an eye on it for me.

"Don't be touching that bike, thats George's bike and he just got us donuts"

Sorta a symbiotic relationship between the most healthy employees and the guys that are gonna croak soon.

Regards,
Cranky

CrankyThunder said:
Sorta a symbiotic relationship between the most healthy employees and the guys that are gonna croak soon.
Oh man, that is just pure cruelty. I'm lucky that the building I used to work in (I technically still work for that company, I just work remotely and sometimes go there for meeting or whatnots) has their own dedicated roofer parking lot and a security guard. The guy may be a hundred years old, but he always lets me leave my bike right next to his post so I always feel safe.

Parking needs to be made in a place where a lot of people go by so that no one steals or damages our bike. If we leave it somewhat hidden we have more chances to be in trouble.

bykster said:
Oh man, that is just pure cruelty. I'm lucky that the building I used to work in (I technically still work for that company, I just work remotely and sometimes go there for meeting or whatnots) has their own dedicated roofer parking lot and a security guard. The guy may be a hundred years old, but he always lets me leave my bike right next to his post so I always feel safe.
Whaddaya mean cruel?

Those people choose to smoke, I am not going to say they cannot.

Those people's favorite food is Donuts, You think I should bring them apples or sumting? They would think I am nuts!

They buy their own donuts every day I do not supply them, not like they are going to give up their sugar rush.

They harass me for being such a health nut, I harass them that their coffin nails gonna make em die soon. We all end up with a smile on our face.

How else am I going to show my appreciation for them looking out for my bike?

I am happy and gracious, they are happy and gracious, nobody touches my bike, all is well!

Regards,
Cranky

CrankyThunder said:
Whaddaya mean cruel?

Those people choose to smoke, I am not going to say they cannot.

Those people's favorite food is Donuts, You think I should bring them apples or sumting? They would think I am nuts!

They buy their own donuts every day I do not supply them, not like they are going to give up their sugar rush.

They harass me for being such a health nut, I harass them that their coffin nails gonna make em die soon. We all end up with a smile on our face.

How else am I going to show my appreciation for them looking out for my bike?

I am happy and gracious, they are happy and gracious, nobody touches my bike, all is well!

Regards,
Cranky
Well, alright, when you put it that way. I just thought your first comment sounded a little harsh, that's all.

I lock my bike up when I have to, and my gym and my doctor's office allow me to actually park my bike inside, which is a huge help since bikes tend to go missing around here.

I think locking it up is a pretty effective deterrent though because I've never had any problems. Probably more trouble than it's worth to wrestle with a lock just to lift my beat up, second hand junker :D

I'm in a lucky position, as the office I work at is located in an industrial area of my city, we have a security person and a bike rack that I can see from the windows in the hall. I have never locked up my bike.

Hi,
do you know the tracker WIMB? I read something about it and it is quite interesting. So, I try to find someone, who know more about it or have it in bike. It should protect bikes from stealing or something like this…

When I have to park my bike somewhere I make sure to put the chain around the rear wheel and chain so it's difficult for people to move if they decide to take, and that's if they can take it in the first place because the chain I have has a protective film over it which is meant to be resistant to cutting into.

Where I work, there are bike sheds; individual sheds with proper doors and locks, so I use those. I would probably feel okay about locking it up outside if this was not available, though I can understand that there are certain areas of the country where you would prefer not to do this. Always use a lock, and if I'm leaving my bike outside I will tie a plastic bag around my saddle as well so that if it rains it won't be wet for the ride home!

Parking can be annoying because I never feel 100% comfortable that no one is stealing or vandalizing my bike. So I always look for the safer places to put it, so far so good.