Parlee Z5

hyperliterate

Apr 21, 2013
Does anyone have any familiarity with Parlee Z5 bikes? If so, what do you think? An LBS is having a clearance and I'd like to know more about it.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by hyperliterate .

Does anyone have any familiarity with Parlee Z5 bikes? If so, what do you think? An LBS is having a clearance and I'd like to know more about it.
Parlee is a VERY highly regarded frame builder ...

Apparently, the PARLEE Z5 is fabricated in Asia ... at this point, THAT is probably a good thing ... akin to having a pre-Quartz watch made in Switzerland.

Regardless, Parlee certainly spec'd the Z5 frame's materials & geometry ...

IMO, a Parlee frame is for the individual with deep pockets & who prefers a visually understated bike (vs. a Pinarello, for example ... not that there is anything wrong with a Pinarello OR any other bike which can be identified from a distance) which rides very well ...

• good enough to race ...
  • but, too nice to race for a non-sponsored rider

MY idea of a "clearance" would be the frame & fork selling for $2000, or slightly less, BTW.

If you buy a Z5, then do yourself a favor & have it built with Campagnolo components ...

The way they had it set up in the shop was full Ultegra, but they said they could change that, if I wanted. As equipped, they were asking $3700. And thanks for the insight. It may be just too much bike for me as it is, no matter how much I like it.

Originally Posted by hyperliterate .

The way they had it set up in the shop was full Ultegra, but they said they could change that, if I wanted. As equipped, they were asking $3700. And thanks for the insight. It may be just too much bike for me as it is, no matter how much I like it.
I love SHIMANO components, but 'I' think that $3700 is too much to pay for an old stock PARLEE Z5 with Ultegra components ...

• unless they are electronic Di2 Ultegra components (which are soon to be "obsolete" with the 11-speed Shimano drivetrains soon to become the new norm for Shimano Ultegra groups) ...
  • and then, I would be inclined to offering/paying only $3500 before tax IF the bike came with a fairly nice wheelset/etc.

If you want to spend $3700, I'll sell you one of my bikes.

How tall are you?

Are you a Flatlander ... or, do you ride on varying terrain?