Parp Parp

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stephen Gower, Mar 3, 2003.

  1. Simon Hay

    Simon Hay Guest

    Danny Colyer wrote:
    > Geraint Jones wrote:
    >
    >>It sounds a bit weedy, though

    Indeed...

    > I think people ignored my instruction to turn their speakers right up. I gave myself a headache
    > recording it, anyway. Using an AirZound indoors is a really bad idea.

    Heh... I don't doubt the loudness, but I think what Geraint was referring to was the actual sound
    itself, which does kind of sound a bit tinny. I was expecting something more like the sort of
    compressed air hooters people have at football matches and so on - or is it really like that and
    just didn't come across well in the recording?

    Simon

  2. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Simon Hay wrote:
    > Heh... I don't doubt the loudness, but I think what Geraint was referring to was the actual sound
    > itself, which does kind of sound a bit tinny. I was expecting something more like the sort of
    > compressed air hooters people have at football matches and so on - or is it really like that and
    > just didn't come across well in the recording?

    It's not quite as tinny as it sounds through computer speakers, but it's a fair bit squeakier than a
    car horn, or the hooters people take to football matches.

    The AirZound would sound more serious if it was pitched slightly lower, but the main thing is the
    volume and I certainly can't fault it on that.

    Thomas Paine

  3. Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I think people ignored my instruction to turn their speakers right up. I gave myself a headache
    > recording it, anyway. Using an AirZound indoors is a really bad idea.

    I've finally had the drive-by demonstration of Stephen Gower's, and I must say still I wasn't as
    impressed as the hoo-hah made me expect to be. It sounded like the sort of rubber-bulb horn that
    ought to have a seal attached, and was a good deal quieter than this slightly damp weather makes
    my brakes.

  4. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Geraint Jones wrote:
    > I've finally had the drive-by demonstration of Stephen Gower's, and I must say still I wasn't as
    > impressed as the hoo-hah made me expect to be. It sounded like the sort of rubber-bulb horn that
    > ought to have a seal attached, and was a good deal quieter than this slightly damp weather makes
    > my brakes.

    Sounds to me like it needed pumping up. Either that or your ears are going ;-)

    Thomas Paine

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:20:11 +0100, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Sounds to me like it needed pumping up. Either that or your ears are going ;-)

    Or maybe the volume control was turned down. I was slightly disappointed by mine until I noticed the
    little tap on the side - and nearly jumped out of my skin after I'd adjusted it :-D

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  6. Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Or maybe the volume control was turned down. I was slightly disappointed by mine until I noticed
    >the little tap on the side - and nearly jumped out of my skin after I'd adjusted it :-D

    It could be that. I'm afraid I've mounted it too close to the combined brake-and-gear-lever thing
    on my bike, which means it only stays on if the little tap is vertical, rather than horizontal.
    So, yes, the volume was turned down when Geraint heard it.

    However, unmounted, I can't really tell the difference in volume between where it is, and "full".
    I'd rather it had a deeper, more car-horn like tone, but in the meantime, it does have a jolly
    good effect on pavement-lemming types, and moderate effect on car drivers if held down for a full
    second or more (Geraint only got a toot - toot, which does indeed make it sound like a
    rubber-bulb horn).
    --
    Selah