Parp Parp

Danny Colyer wrote:
> Geraint Jones wrote:
>
>>It sounds a bit weedy, though

Indeed...

> I think people ignored my instruction to turn their speakers right up. I gave myself a headache
> recording it, anyway. Using an AirZound indoors is a really bad idea.

Heh... I don't doubt the loudness, but I think what Geraint was referring to was the actual sound
itself, which does kind of sound a bit tinny. I was expecting something more like the sort of
compressed air hooters people have at football matches and so on - or is it really like that and
just didn't come across well in the recording?

Simon

Simon Hay wrote:
> Heh... I don't doubt the loudness, but I think what Geraint was referring to was the actual sound
> itself, which does kind of sound a bit tinny. I was expecting something more like the sort of
> compressed air hooters people have at football matches and so on - or is it really like that and
> just didn't come across well in the recording?

It's not quite as tinny as it sounds through computer speakers, but it's a fair bit squeakier than a
car horn, or the hooters people take to football matches.

The AirZound would sound more serious if it was pitched slightly lower, but the main thing is the
volume and I certainly can't fault it on that.

Thomas Paine

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> I think people ignored my instruction to turn their speakers right up. I gave myself a headache
> recording it, anyway. Using an AirZound indoors is a really bad idea.

I've finally had the drive-by demonstration of Stephen Gower's, and I must say still I wasn't as
impressed as the hoo-hah made me expect to be. It sounded like the sort of rubber-bulb horn that
ought to have a seal attached, and was a good deal quieter than this slightly damp weather makes
my brakes.

Geraint Jones wrote:
> I've finally had the drive-by demonstration of Stephen Gower's, and I must say still I wasn't as
> impressed as the hoo-hah made me expect to be. It sounded like the sort of rubber-bulb horn that
> ought to have a seal attached, and was a good deal quieter than this slightly damp weather makes
> my brakes.

Sounds to me like it needed pumping up. Either that or your ears are going ;-)

Thomas Paine

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003 13:20:11 +0100, "Danny Colyer" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Sounds to me like it needed pumping up. Either that or your ears are going ;-)

Or maybe the volume control was turned down. I was slightly disappointed by mine until I noticed the
little tap on the side - and nearly jumped out of my skin after I'd adjusted it :-D

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:

>Or maybe the volume control was turned down. I was slightly disappointed by mine until I noticed
>the little tap on the side - and nearly jumped out of my skin after I'd adjusted it :-D

It could be that. I'm afraid I've mounted it too close to the combined brake-and-gear-lever thing
on my bike, which means it only stays on if the little tap is vertical, rather than horizontal.
So, yes, the volume was turned down when Geraint heard it.

However, unmounted, I can't really tell the difference in volume between where it is, and "full".
I'd rather it had a deeper, more car-horn like tone, but in the meantime, it does have a jolly
good effect on pavement-lemming types, and moderate effect on car drivers if held down for a full
second or more (Geraint only got a toot - toot, which does indeed make it sound like a
rubber-bulb horn).
--
Selah