Partial commuting

e0richt

Jul 10, 2006
hi,

My commute is beyond me at this time... ~40 miles one way...
has anyone tried to do partial commuting?

I was thinking of bringing my bike into work with me (via car) and on the way
home stopping short and riding the bike the rest of the way...

has anyone tried this? any thoughts?

Where I live is 10k from town. We have a large lock up car park at the train station near here with free parking. Many bring the bike and ride to and from town and leave the car in the car park for the day. If its pissing rain then they leave the bikes at work catch the train back to the car, its an express stop! :D

e0richt said:
hi,

If time is your limiting factor consider driving bike to work and biking home. The next day, bike to work and drive home. I do this sometimes with my 26 mile commute. I wish I had time for riding both ways each day but sadly this is not the case.

If fitness is your limiting factor, check public transportation (or SO) to get you part of the way to work. The buses in my area (DC) have bike racks and Metro permits bikes non-rush hour. After some training you may find that time is your real limiting factor. See par. above.

In Sydney, theres a number of people who catch the train part way to work with their bike and ride the rest. A bloke I know rides to work, probably a similar distance to you and then catches the train home with his bike.

What about 1 way commuting. Ride into work Monday, train/bus home. Tuesday train/bus to work ride home. Or drive to work Monday with bike, ride home. Ride to work Tuesday and drive home.

e0richt said:
hi,

I frequently have meetings during the day at various facilities, and find it difficult to be without a car. So, I bring my bike to work on Monday, leave the car in the company lot and ride home Monday night, then ride to work on Tuesday morning. Repeat for Wednesday and Thursday. So sort of what you're talking about. This works well for me.

A full commute is 32 miles each way for me. I drive 20 and ride 12 twice a week and do the full ride on Friday to go around bumper-to-bumper traffic. I park the car in a car-pool lot on my partial days. I'm gradually increasing my mileage.

Tried the drive-to and ride-from work one day, then do the opposite the following day. You need to try different approaches and find what works best for you.

e0richt said:
hi,

My one-way commute is 27 miles - more than I want to do. So I drive the first 10 miles (avoiding the worst roads), park free in a public park and ride the last 17 miles.

Unfortunatly this is the only way for me. I drive to a park and then ride than to D.C. Reason being that if I ride there is no way of avoiding passing near 495 a huge road, which has alot of cars going in and out, and it seems like suicide to do it. So I just drive past it. If I ever buy a house, its going to be within a cycling distance to work. :D

varglesnarg said:
Unfortunatly this is the only way for me. I drive to a park and then ride than to D.C. Reason being that if I ride there is no way of avoiding passing near 495 a huge road, which has alot of cars going in and out, and it seems like suicide to do it. So I just drive past it. If I ever buy a house, its going to be within a cycling distance to work. :D
well, my wife put a kibosh on my original plan. so what I have just started to do is to drive the bike to a certain point on my commute. then bike the rest of the way in (about 7.5 miles).

My wife, didn't like not having my car at the house during the week.