Participants wanted for cycling study in the North West

Rward

Jan 21, 2013
[COLOR= rgb(0, 0, 0)]I'm unsure what category this post would be best suited but I'll post it here and hopefully one of the admins will correct if necessary.

I am a third year student studying sport and exercise science and I'm looking for trained cyclists to partake in a research project. This project aims to investigate the effect taurine has on 4km time trial performance. Taurine is an amino acid that is present in the body (predominantly the heart and brain), meats and is quite a popular ingredients in typical energy drinks. [/COLOR]

Anybody participating would be asked to perform a laboratory based 4km time trial on three separate occasions. On one of the three they would drink 500ml of water containing 1000 mg of taurine. On the other two they would be consuming water alone. Participants would be required to be moderately trained cyclists (training 7 or more hours a week).

In return for partaking in this study; participants will have increased knowledge of the scientific process that affects developments of sporting performance, be informed about their current body composition (percentage body fat / lean tissue mass) and have access to practical physiological data on how they performed during the time trial that could be applied to improve their training.

The testing would be based in the laboratory at Edge Hill University, which is in the town of Ormskirk (approximately 25 minutes from Liverpool, 45 minutes from Manchester).

If you or anybody you know is interested in participating in this project or simply would like to know more, please feel free to ask me questions via a PM or email me at [email protected]
Thank you for your time and apologies to those who regularly view this frustrating spam on the forum.

if you want valid scientific results your participants need a powermeter on their bikes or use an ergometer in the lab or gym,

The methodology has already been written and scrutinised. This includes the use of equipment such as powermeters or cycle ergometers within the study. Thank you for the suggestion though.