Parts-Buying Rant

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Etaoin Shrdlu, May 16, 2003.

  1. All -

    This rant is directed solely at me. All mail-order service names have been changed to protect
    the innocent.

    So I decide to rehab one of my bikes, because I don't have a job, & it's better than sitting around
    picking my nose & looking at porn sites all day.

    Thus, I order a bunch of stuff, including a fancy-shmancy freewheel from MOBS (Mail Order Bike Shop)
    A. Everything is fine, except the freewheel is out of stock & it's not known exactly when it'll be
    in. The place doesn't want to split the shipment, to save on freight costs. And the freewheel is
    out. And the freewheel is still out. So I decide that the freewheel is less critical than the other
    items in that particular order, so I Google for the freewheel, find it at MOBS B. On Tuesday, I
    order the freewheel from MOBS B. On Wednesday, the order from MOBS A arrives, including the
    freewheel. Now I can't get a tracking number from MOBS B so I can know when to expect the
    (redundant) freewheel, plus I'll have to just return it and eat the shipping costs.

    In addition, I order a new handlebar from MOBS C, and some other thing. I get the handlebar, but
    decide that I really ought to try to save some money, as there is another doodad that only this
    place has (MOBS C) that I really want. So I send the handlebar back. I order, from MOBS D, a cheaper
    handlebar & new stem (because I need a longer stem). On Wednesday, the handlebar finally goes out
    (the UPS store was slow -- hint, hint), but then I find out that the stem I wanted (to fit the
    cheaper handlebar) is basically out of production. Thus, I need to order a different stem, which
    takes a different handlebar. The handlebars that fit are all for timetrialing which I'm not into.
    This new handlebar is only $2 less than the one I sent back, & it'll have to be ordered.

    <long exhale>

    Phil

    Tags:

  2. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    ><long exhale>
    >
    >Phil

    Now you know why some of us have a garage full of parts.. <g>

    Keep em and you'll use em sometime.

    jon isaacs

  3. Etaoin Shrdlu <[email protected]> writes:

    >All -

    >This rant is directed solely at me. All mail-order service names have been changed to protect the
    >innocent.

    > ... long painful story about mail order confusion with dealers (A),
    > (B), (C), and (D) elided ...

    Just one question. have you every heard a catchphrase to the tune of,

    "patronize your friendly neighborhood bicycle shop !!"

    - Don

  4. Jake Bellows

    Jake Bellows Guest

    but what do you do when the local bike shop is ALWAYS full retail and a penis with ears in addition!
    You go on the web! I don't blame the guy for trying, why are you?

    "Donald Gillies" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]... Etaoin
    Shrdlu <[email protected]> writes:

    >All -

    >This rant is directed solely at me. All mail-order service names have been changed to protect the
    >innocent.

    > ... long painful story about mail order confusion with dealers (A),
    > (B), (C), and (D) elided ...

    Just one question. have you every heard a catchphrase to the tune of,

    "patronize your friendly neighborhood bicycle shop !!"

    - Don

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "Etaoin Shrdlu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > All -
    >
    > This rant is directed solely at me. All mail-order service names have been changed to protect the
    > innocent.
    >
    > So I decide to rehab one of my bikes, because I don't have a job, & it's better than sitting
    > around picking my nose & looking at porn sites all day.
    >
    > Thus, I order a bunch of stuff, including a fancy-shmancy freewheel from MOBS (Mail Order Bike
    > Shop) A. Everything is fine, except the freewheel is out of stock & it's not known exactly when
    > it'll be in. The place doesn't want to split the shipment, to save on freight costs. And the
    > freewheel is out. And the freewheel is still out. So I decide that the freewheel is less critical
    > than the other items in that particular order, so I Google for the freewheel, find it at MOBS B.
    > On Tuesday, I order the freewheel from MOBS B. On Wednesday, the order from MOBS A arrives,
    > including the freewheel. Now I can't get a tracking number from MOBS B so I can know when to
    > expect the (redundant) freewheel, plus I'll have to just return it and eat the shipping costs.
    >
    > In addition, I order a new handlebar from MOBS C, and some other thing. I get the handlebar, but
    > decide that I really ought to try to save some money, as there is another doodad that only this
    > place has (MOBS C) that I really want. So I send the handlebar back. I order, from MOBS D, a
    > cheaper handlebar & new stem (because I need a longer stem). On Wednesday, the handlebar finally
    > goes out (the UPS store was slow -- hint, hint), but then I find out that the stem I wanted (to
    > fit the cheaper handlebar) is basically out of production. Thus, I need to order a different stem,
    > which takes a different handlebar. The handlebars that fit are all for timetrialing which I'm not
    > into. This new handlebar is only $2 less than the one I sent back, & it'll have to be ordered.
    >
    > <long exhale>
    >
    > Phil

    Thanks for another subtle ad for shopping at one's friendly neighborhood well-stocked competent LBS!

  6. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    returning something you later realized you could use is like ... well, you know.

    "Etaoin Shrdlu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > All -
    >
    > This rant is directed solely at me. All mail-order service names have been changed to protect the
    > innocent.
    >
    > So I decide to rehab one of my bikes, because I don't have a job, & it's better than sitting
    > around picking my nose & looking at porn sites all day.
    >
    > Thus, I order a bunch of stuff, including a fancy-shmancy freewheel from MOBS (Mail Order Bike
    > Shop) A. Everything is fine, except the freewheel is out of stock & it's not known exactly when
    > it'll be in. The place doesn't want to split the shipment, to save on freight costs. And the
    > freewheel is out. And the freewheel is still out. So I decide that the freewheel is less critical
    > than the other items in that particular order, so I Google for the freewheel, find it at MOBS B.
    > On Tuesday, I order the freewheel from MOBS B. On Wednesday, the order from MOBS A arrives,
    > including the freewheel. Now I can't get a tracking number from MOBS B so I can know when to
    > expect the (redundant) freewheel, plus I'll have to just return it and eat the shipping costs.
    >
    > In addition, I order a new handlebar from MOBS C, and some other thing. I get the handlebar, but
    > decide that I really ought to try to save some money, as there is another doodad that only this
    > place has (MOBS C) that I really want. So I send the handlebar back. I order, from MOBS D, a
    > cheaper handlebar & new stem (because I need a longer stem). On Wednesday, the handlebar finally
    > goes out (the UPS store was slow -- hint, hint), but then I find out that the stem I wanted (to
    > fit the cheaper handlebar) is basically out of production. Thus, I need to order a different stem,
    > which takes a different handlebar. The handlebars that fit are all for timetrialing which I'm not
    > into. This new handlebar is only $2 less than the one I sent back, & it'll have to be ordered.
    >
    > <long exhale>
    >
    > Phil

  7. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Jake Bellows" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > but what do you do when the local bike shop is ALWAYS full retail and a penis with ears in
    > addition! You go on the web! I don't blame the guy for trying, why are you?

    I don't know of any qulaity LBS that would charge full retail on a build kit, grouppo, or even on a
    moderate parts order. I don't know of any quality LBS that charges full retail to repeat/friendly
    customers.

    Real shops know the money isn't in a stem and a freewheel, it's in the life-long bond riders make
    with that one particular shop. It's in that guy or gal coming in once a month for ten years, sending
    his friends in for $300 hybrids, telling his co-workers to get their 12-year-old Schwinns overhauled
    there, cuz they do good work.

    Maybe you get treated like a stranger because you're of the mentality to walk around calling people
    "penises with ears."

    Chris

  8. KBH wrote:

    > returning something you later realized you could use is like ... well, you know.

    Er, I confess I don't know. Could you please elaborate?

    > "Etaoin Shrdlu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > All -
    > >
    > > This rant is directed solely at me. All mail-order service names have been changed to protect
    > > the innocent.
    > >
    > > So I decide to rehab one of my bikes, because I don't have a job, & it's better than sitting
    > > around picking my nose & looking at porn sites all day.
    > >
    > > Thus, I order a bunch of stuff, including a fancy-shmancy freewheel from MOBS (Mail Order Bike
    > > Shop) A. Everything is fine, except the freewheel is out of stock & it's not known exactly when
    > > it'll be in. The place doesn't want to split the shipment, to save on freight costs. And the
    > > freewheel is out. And the freewheel is still out. So I decide that the freewheel is less
    > > critical than the other items in that particular order, so I Google for the freewheel, find it
    > > at MOBS B. On Tuesday, I order the freewheel from MOBS B. On Wednesday, the order from MOBS A
    > > arrives, including the freewheel. Now I can't get a tracking number from MOBS B so I can know
    > > when to expect the (redundant) freewheel, plus I'll have to just return it and eat the shipping
    > > costs.
    > >
    > > In addition, I order a new handlebar from MOBS C, and some other thing. I get the handlebar, but
    > > decide that I really ought to try to save some money, as there is another doodad that only this
    > > place has (MOBS C) that I really want. So I send the handlebar back. I order, from MOBS D, a
    > > cheaper handlebar & new stem (because I need a longer stem). On Wednesday, the handlebar finally
    > > goes out (the UPS store was slow -- hint, hint), but then I find out that the stem I wanted (to
    > > fit the cheaper handlebar) is basically out of production. Thus, I need to order a different
    > > stem, which takes a different handlebar. The handlebars that fit are all for timetrialing which
    > > I'm not into. This new handlebar is only $2 less than the one I sent back, & it'll have to be
    > > ordered.
    > >
    > > <long exhale>
    > >
    > > Phil

  9. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    kissing your sister or something...

    "Etaoin Shrdlu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > KBH wrote:
    >
    > > returning something you later realized you could use is like ... well,
    you
    > > know.
    >
    > Er, I confess I don't know. Could you please elaborate?
    >

    > > "Etaoin Shrdlu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > All -
    > > >
    > > > This rant is directed solely at me. All mail-order service names have been changed to protect
    > > > the innocent.
    > > >
    > > > So I decide to rehab one of my bikes, because I don't have a job, &
    it's
    > > > better than sitting around picking my nose & looking at porn sites all day.
    > > >
    > > > Thus, I order a bunch of stuff, including a fancy-shmancy freewheel
    from
    > > > MOBS (Mail Order Bike Shop) A. Everything is fine, except the
    freewheel
    > > > is out of stock & it's not known exactly when it'll be in. The place doesn't want to split the
    > > > shipment, to save on freight costs. And the freewheel is out. And the freewheel is still out.
    > > > So I decide that
    the
    > > > freewheel is less critical than the other items in that particular order, so I Google for the
    > > > freewheel, find it at MOBS B. On Tuesday,
    > > > order the freewheel from MOBS B. On Wednesday, the order from MOBS A arrives, including the
    > > > freewheel. Now I can't get a tracking number from MOBS B so I can know when to expect the
    > > > (redundant) freewheel,
    plus
    > > > I'll have to just return it and eat the shipping costs.
    > > >
    > > > In addition, I order a new handlebar from MOBS C, and some other
    thing.
    > > > I get the handlebar, but decide that I really ought to try to save
    some
    > > > money, as there is another doodad that only this place has (MOBS C)
    that
    > > > I really want. So I send the handlebar back. I order, from MOBS D, a cheaper handlebar & new
    > > > stem (because I need a longer stem). On Wednesday, the handlebar finally goes out (the UPS
    > > > store was slow -- hint, hint), but then I find out that the stem I wanted (to fit the cheaper
    > > > handlebar) is basically out of production. Thus, I need to order a different stem, which takes
    > > > a different handlebar. The handlebars that fit are all for timetrialing which I'm not into.
    > > > This new handlebar is only $2 less than the one I sent back, & it'll have
    > > > be ordered.
    > > >
    > > > <long exhale>
    > > >
    > > > Phil

  10. G.Daniels

    G.Daniels Guest

    knowing who packs what would be useful knowledge?? anyone know?? I mean if the phone voice packs the
    order that is mostly one deal but if the order passes through four cretinous layers of baboonnery in
    six states then that's another deal. Frankly,in one instance,i am amazed at getting anything for the
    $$$ let alone the right parts in the same year but what do I know? Yet they're reliable.I don't have
    enough money to give them.But sometimes,I wanna go out there and... People manufacture gizmos of
    incredible complexity made from parts fabricated in the planet's farthest reaches like people in
    China make stuff and sell it here so I hear. That's because if the people in China screw up the
    order they get dragged out back and shot.Not that i want you to think Ima nazi or anything you know
    but here the supers cower in fear that the wharehouse baboons won't show up on Tuesday.

  11. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (g.daniels) writes:

    > but here the supers cower in fear that the wharehouse baboons won't show up on Tuesday.

    Do you mean "warehouse", or "whorehouse"? :)
    ^^ ^^^

    Here, the warehouse baboons live in fear of being told to not bother coming in on Tuesday, until
    further notice.

    cheers from a warehouse baboon, Tom