Parts Cleaners: ultrasonic, non-ultrasonic, and otherwise

alienator

Jun 10, 2004
Is anyone using an ultrasonic cleaner for parts? I'm thinking about that option with a small capacity, say 1L or so.

Anyone have a favorite cleaner, no matter the sort?

Never used one, always thought it would be cool for cleaning chains...until I read a thread about it recently on velocipedesalon.com forum where someone pointed out that ultrasonic cleaners remove too much of the lube that you want to stay deep within the chain links, and effectively re-lubing the chain after such a thorough cleaning would wind up being more trouble than the cleaner saves. Not sure that would stop me, but it did give me pause.

For other parts, still seems like a cool idea.

My local wrench has a soak tank for cleaning parts -- not sure if it's ultrasonic, might just be static -- but he swears by the new "aircraft-grade" Simple Green for filling it.

I kept this thread in mind and I ordered one today. When I worked in my grandfather's gunsmith shop long ago he used one quite a bit. I will probably use it in my shop for miscellaneous mechanical items that need to be cleaned, but I am looking forward to using to clean a few cassettes that I was reluctant to scrub / brush. I can't think of what else I can use it for on the bike because it will remove all the lubricants.

From what I have read a drop of dish detergent is all it takes for grease and grit.

alienator, I will keep you posted on how it works if you are still interested. I have a really nasty cassette that I may video as a review of the utra sonic tub. The one I purchased on Amazon was $80.

Here is my blog review using an ultrasonic cleaner on a very dirty cassette. I am not sure it is worth it, but for me I can use it around the shop for more than just cleaning a cassette. Doing a little research I ended up trying Simple Green Pro HD as it was listed safe for various metals. It was nice to just throw it in the tank and walk away. I had to empty and put clean water and solution in three times, but it beats sitting there scrubbing with a brush.

There is a short video that kind of shows the cleaning and sound that it makes.

http://thecyclingaddiction.blogspot.com/2012/01/ultrasonic-cleaning-worth-it.html