Parts for right Ergo overhaul

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Apr 23, 2006.

  1. Took apart my right (rear derailleur) 1998 Chorus Ergo shifter. G
    spring carrier was broken. Post was OK, but the ring the post sticks
    up from was broken. Completely broken right beside the post. This
    break probably explains why the chain did not stay on the biggest rear
    cogs.

    I will replace the alloy G spring carrier EC-RE111 (or the new carbon
    spring carrier and washer EC-RE065 and EC-RE157) and the two G springs
    EC-RE209. Anything else needing replaced while I'm at it? The big
    coil spring EC-RE055? The finger lever/paddle spring EC-RE137? The
    thumb return spring EC-RE215?

    Cheapest place to get the replacement parts?

    Tags:

  2. bfd

    bfd Guest

    news:[email protected]

    Best advice is Peter Chisholm at www.vecchios.com

    > Cheapest place to get the replacement parts?

    The cheapest place for parts is probably AE Bike:

    http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=list&Category=553&Brand=60&type=

    Of course, AE Bikes provides no advice. Therefore, if you need advice and
    parts, contact Peter!

  3. Kenny

    Kenny Guest

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On 23 Apr 2006 17:53:02 -0700, [email protected] wrote:

    >I will replace the alloy G spring carrier EC-RE111 (or the new carbon
    >spring carrier and washer EC-RE065 and EC-RE157) and the two G springs
    >EC-RE209. Anything else needing replaced while I'm at it? The big
    >coil spring EC-RE055? The finger lever/paddle spring EC-RE137? The
    >thumb return spring EC-RE215?
    >
    >Cheapest place to get the replacement parts?

    Springs and carrier are enough. You may also need the large
    washer/spacer that goes over the spring carrier. The slot on the
    washer for the post is a wider on newer washers to accomodate the
    reinforced shoulder of the spring carrier post.

    The parts are inexpensive and you won't save much $ shopping hard.
    Buy from your local shop or people that support r.bt. like
    www.yellowjersey.org or http://www.vecchios.com/

  5. [email protected] wrote:
    > Took apart my right (rear derailleur) 1998 Chorus Ergo shifter. G
    > spring carrier was broken. Post was OK, but the ring the post sticks
    > up from was broken. Completely broken right beside the post. This
    > break probably explains why the chain did not stay on the biggest rear
    > cogs.
    >
    > I will replace the alloy G spring carrier EC-RE111 (or the new carbon
    > spring carrier and washer EC-RE065 and EC-RE157) and the two G springs
    > EC-RE209. Anything else needing replaced while I'm at it? The big
    > coil spring EC-RE055? The finger lever/paddle spring EC-RE137? The
    > thumb return spring EC-RE215?
    >
    > Cheapest place to get the replacement parts?

    Nothing else needed. Take the plate, EC-RE-057 and dremel/grind the
    notch flat and also dremel the space in the back cap, EC-RE-124, just
    above the post so it doesn't hit the end of the post. Doing these two
    things has eliminated broken EC-RE-111 in my experience.

    We sell all this stuff-carbon spring carrier is $12, springs are $5
    per. No need to change anything else.

  6. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    > > Took apart my right (rear derailleur) 1998 Chorus Ergo shifter. G
    > > spring carrier was broken. Post was OK, but the ring the post sticks
    > > up from was broken. Completely broken right beside the post. This
    > > break probably explains why the chain did not stay on the biggest rear
    > > cogs.
    > >
    > > I will replace the alloy G spring carrier EC-RE111 (or the new carbon
    > > spring carrier and washer EC-RE065 and EC-RE157) and the two G springs
    > > EC-RE209. Anything else needing replaced while I'm at it? The big
    > > coil spring EC-RE055? The finger lever/paddle spring EC-RE137? The
    > > thumb return spring EC-RE215?
    > >
    > > Cheapest place to get the replacement parts?

    > Nothing else needed. Take the plate, EC-RE-057 and dremel/grind the
    > notch flat and also dremel the space in the back cap, EC-RE-124, just
    > above the post so it doesn't hit the end of the post. Doing these two
    > things has eliminated broken EC-RE-111 in my experience.
    >
    > We sell all this stuff-carbon spring carrier is $12, springs are $5
    > per. No need to change anything else.

    Parts were just ordered from Sean. Pot metal spring carrier EC-RE111
    with the strengthened shoulders and two G springs EC-RE209. Sean also
    recommended grinding the EC-RE057 washer shoulder away so it did not
    contact the spring carrier at all.

  7. bfd

    bfd Guest

    Branford is good about carrying Campy small parts. The problem I have
    with them is that they tend to recommend more parts than is needed. For
    example, to rebuild my ergo levers, Branford insisted I needed 2
    g-springs, a thumb spring, spring carrier and ergo cog.

    In contrast, after talking with Peter, all I needed was the 2
    g-springs. So, if you need parts AND advice, contact Peter at
    www.vecchios.com

  8. [email protected] wrote:
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > > > Took apart my right (rear derailleur) 1998 Chorus Ergo shifter. G
    > > > spring carrier was broken. Post was OK, but the ring the post sticks
    > > > up from was broken. Completely broken right beside the post. This
    > > > break probably explains why the chain did not stay on the biggest rear
    > > > cogs.
    > > >
    > > > I will replace the alloy G spring carrier EC-RE111 (or the new carbon
    > > > spring carrier and washer EC-RE065 and EC-RE157) and the two G springs
    > > > EC-RE209. Anything else needing replaced while I'm at it? The big
    > > > coil spring EC-RE055? The finger lever/paddle spring EC-RE137? The
    > > > thumb return spring EC-RE215?
    > > >
    > > > Cheapest place to get the replacement parts?

    > > Nothing else needed. Take the plate, EC-RE-057 and dremel/grind the
    > > notch flat and also dremel the space in the back cap, EC-RE-124, just
    > > above the post so it doesn't hit the end of the post. Doing these two
    > > things has eliminated broken EC-RE-111 in my experience.
    > >
    > > We sell all this stuff-carbon spring carrier is $12, springs are $5
    > > per. No need to change anything else.

    > Parts were just ordered from Sean. Pot metal spring carrier EC-RE111
    > with the strengthened shoulders and two G springs EC-RE209. Sean also
    > recommended grinding the EC-RE057 washer shoulder away so it did not
    > contact the spring carrier at all.

    Grazie mille for the order-appreciate it.

  9. [email protected] wrote:
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > > > Took apart my right (rear derailleur) 1998 Chorus Ergo shifter. G
    > > > spring carrier was broken. Post was OK, but the ring the post sticks
    > > > up from was broken. Completely broken right beside the post. This
    > > > break probably explains why the chain did not stay on the biggest rear
    > > > cogs.
    > > >
    > > > I will replace the alloy G spring carrier EC-RE111 (or the new carbon
    > > > spring carrier and washer EC-RE065 and EC-RE157) and the two G springs
    > > > EC-RE209. Anything else needing replaced while I'm at it? The big
    > > > coil spring EC-RE055? The finger lever/paddle spring EC-RE137? The
    > > > thumb return spring EC-RE215?
    > > >
    > > > Cheapest place to get the replacement parts?

    > > Nothing else needed. Take the plate, EC-RE-057 and dremel/grind the
    > > notch flat and also dremel the space in the back cap, EC-RE-124, just
    > > above the post so it doesn't hit the end of the post. Doing these two
    > > things has eliminated broken EC-RE-111 in my experience.
    > >
    > > We sell all this stuff-carbon spring carrier is $12, springs are $5
    > > per. No need to change anything else.

    > Parts were just ordered from Sean. Pot metal spring carrier EC-RE111
    > with the strengthened shoulders and two G springs EC-RE209. Sean also
    > recommended grinding the EC-RE057 washer shoulder away so it did not
    > contact the spring carrier at all.

    Parts were ordered Monday about Noon. Arrived in the mail box Thursday
    afternoon. Put them into the right Ergo lever Saturday. Pretty easy.
    Except for getting the levers even on the bars and retaping the bars.
    Rode the bike Monday evening.

    I'm almost 110% positive the Ergo is put back together correctly. But
    the shifts to a larger cog did not seem too definitive. With the
    broken spring carrier, there wasn't much of a click when shifting to a
    larger cog. But the rebuilt lever seems to have zero click when
    shifting to a larger cog. Could it be due to having too much grease on
    the insides of the Ergo? Easiest way to get excess grease out?
    Flush/spray with WD-40? Take the Ergo apart again and remove all
    grease? Not excited about taking the Ergo off the bars again and
    retaping the bars again.

    Shifts to larger cogs also seem to take less lever throw. Much less.
    This could be because the broken spring carrier required a longer than
    normal throw and I just became accustomed to this over years of use.