parts for shimano 600 shifter

newtotri

Nov 2, 2010
I have an Aegis road bike with 8 gear shimano 600. The right shifter is sporadic and two different mechs say cant be fixed. Any ideas on finding a replacement shifter?

Originally Posted by newtotri .

I have an Aegis road bike with 8 gear shimano 600. The right shifter is sporadic and two different mechs say cant be fixed. Any ideas on finding a replacement shifter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Shimano-600-Ultegra-8-Speed-STI-Shifters-ST-6400-/260685272409

ebay is your friend..BTW-STI cannot be fixed and all you need to convert to 9s(or 10s) is RH lever, cogset and chain.

A few comments: Sporadic shifter could possibly be cured by soaking in solvent (remove from bike and remove rubber hood) and then lubing. People used to just spray WD-40 into it like heck and let it sit overnight or longer. I actually wrote an article on disassembling and cleaning an STI shifter, could dig it out if anyone is interested; it's a pain to do. On upgrading to 9-speed: I just purchased a cassette for my 8-speed, and in the process, noticed pricing for the 9-speed cassettes: $30 (8) vs. $90 (9)? I don't understand it. Glad to keep my 8 speed for now.

I agree with Steve_A's recommendation of soaking the shifter with lubricant. I did not even remove the shifter from the bar, just peeled the hoods back, squeezed the brake trigger and squirted with a teflon based lubricant. No more sporadic shifting. I cannot claim originality for the solution, as I read about it in another forum. Sure beats taking the shifter apart. I understand that the basic problem is that the grease in the shifters has congealed, and the lubricant washes some of it out.

Originally Posted by Steve_A .

A few comments: Sporadic shifter could possibly be cured by soaking in solvent (remove from bike and remove rubber hood) and then lubing. People used to just spray WD-40 into it like heck and let it sit overnight or longer. I actually wrote an article on disassembling and cleaning an STI shifter, could dig it out if anyone is interested; it's a pain to do. On upgrading to 9-speed: I just purchased a cassette for my 8-speed, and in the process, noticed pricing for the 9-speed cassettes: $30 (8) vs. $90 (9)? I don't understand it. Glad to keep my 8 speed for now.
Just got a Tiagra 9s cogset amd sram and both are about $35...