Parts Question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Whykickamoocow, Mar 1, 2004.

  1. I need to replace my chain and cassette on my Giant Atx860 MTB, 9 speed.

    What price should I pay for a decent chain, and cassette.

    I have been given diffrent prices. Thanks, WK

    Tags:

  2. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Whykickamoocow wrote:
    > I need to replace my chain and cassette on my Giant Atx860 MTB, 9 speed.
    >
    > What price should I pay for a decent chain, and cassette.
    >
    > I have been given diffrent prices.

    Depends on quality level of components you buy. Decent price for both might be $40-45, up to $70-
    80 or more.

    Bill "SRAM PC 59 w/LX cassette should work fine for long time" S.

  3. wkmoo-<< I need to replace my chain and cassette on my Giant Atx860 MTB, 9 speed.

    What price should I pay for a decent chain, and cassette. >><BR><BR>

    Sram-PC-59 is $20 and a decent cogset is about $40...

  4. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 16:08:37 +1000, "Whykickamoocow"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I need to replace my chain and cassette on my Giant Atx860 MTB, 9 speed.
    >
    >What price should I pay for a decent chain, and cassette.
    >
    >I have been given diffrent prices. Thanks, WK

    <$75, Sram 59 and XT 750 cassette

  5. Carl Fogel

    Carl Fogel Guest

    "Whykickamoocow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I need to replace my chain and cassette on my Giant Atx860 MTB, 9 speed.
    >
    > What price should I pay for a decent chain, and cassette.
    >
    > I have been given diffrent prices. Thanks, WK

    Dear CowDefender,

    You can browse 9-speed cassettes, chains, and combination offers at:

    www.performancebike.com www.nashbar.com

    They offer SRAM, Shimano, and house brands. Nashbar ranges from $33 to $70 for cassettes.
    Performance ranges from $35 to $155 for cassette and chain combination offers. Their prices are
    likely to be lower than a local bike shop, but there's shipping and handling versus local taxes.

    Your local bike shop offers the same things shipped from the same manufacturers, along with advice
    of varying quality.

    You can get even more advice and often mailorder service from the bicycle dealers who ladle out gobs
    of good advice in this newsgroup.

    Their posts usually include their web sites and phone numbers. In reverse alphabetical order, (I'm
    feeling silly this morning) here are a few of the usual suspects:

    Andrew Muzi John Dacey Peter Chisholm Sheldon Brown

    The good news is that most riders can't tell much difference between the cheap and the costly
    versions when blindfolded, so you can probably pedal whatever you buy.

    The bad news is that you aren't blindfolded and have far too many choices to make a sensible
    decision. If you liked your old cassette, at least get the same range of teeth. If not, have fun
    experimenting.

    Good luck,

    Carl Fogel