Party food

The Bubbo

Guest
My grandfather's 80th birthday is saturday. We're throwing a big party for him
and I've been tasked to do the food. Luckily that's all I have to do. The
party is being hosted at my sister's place, she's dealing with liquor and the
cake, my mom is dealing with hotel reservations for the out of town guests.
This is truly the easiest party I'll ever have to deal with.

It's mostly going to be finger food, the only thing that wouldn't really be
eaten with the hands would be the salmon with lemon dill sauce and perhaps
that is why I am waffling on it.

Spiced ham with rollsSalmon with lemon dill sauce (this is tentative, we might
not need this,though I like to have an alternative to the ham. If I don't do
this I mightdo salmon crostini with lemon cream)Crostini with hazelnut pesto
and roasted butternut squashCroissants stuffed with feta/dill/spinach and/or
curried veggies Mini crabcakes with cilantro cream Veggie sushiStuffed
strawberriesVeggie platter with dipCheese plate with 2 kinds of homemade
bread, olives, spiced nuts, homemade cherry ginger jam

I start cooking friday afternoon and won't stop until the party starts.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Your menu sounds delicious!

I'd go with the salmon crostini to keep it all to finger foods. Good
call there.

What goes in your hazenut pesto? Is it a basil pesto with hazelnuts
instead of pinons, or do you use other flavors for the base?

AND, what do you stuff your strawberries with? (Persoally, I'd offer
them with dip. Stuffing small individual food items is a pain in the
ass. I will never forget helping my mom get ready for parties....she
like to stuff cherry tomatoes with cream cheese, and snow peas with
chicken salad. Do you KNOW how long it takes to stuff enough snow peas
for 40 guests???)

And last of all, where's my invitation? =) OK, family party, I'll let
you off the hook. You can fed-ex me a doggie bag instead.

Jude wrote:
> Your menu sounds delicious!
>
> I'd go with the salmon crostini to keep it all to finger foods. Good
> call there.
>
> What goes in your hazenut pesto? Is it a basil pesto with hazelnuts
> instead of pinons, or do you use other flavors for the base?
>
> AND, what do you stuff your strawberries with? (Persoally, I'd offer
> them with dip. Stuffing small individual food items is a pain in the
> ass. I will never forget helping my mom get ready for parties....she
> like to stuff cherry tomatoes with cream cheese, and snow peas with
> chicken salad. Do you KNOW how long it takes to stuff enough snow peas
> for 40 guests???)
>
> And last of all, where's my invitation? =) OK, family party, I'll let
> you off the hook. You can fed-ex me a doggie bag instead.

The salmon crostini that I did for my housewarming were a huge surprise hit,
I'd made them up on the fly. I roasted salmon with pecans, maple syrup,
cinnamon, cardamom and cloves, then I whipped up some marscapone with lemon
zest and a bit of salt. Spread the cheese on the little crostinis and added
the salmon and people really liked them. I know, I know, 'don't eat cheese
with fish meh meh meh meh', whatever.

I just use a basic pesto recipe but use ground, toasted hazelnuts. It's a nice
flavor.

I whip mascarpone with cardamom and ginger and then stuff that into
strawberries. I cut the tops off the berries to make the flat surface, then
flip them over and slice through the top 3 times to make sort of a * shape if
you look at it from above. Put the mascarpone in a pastry bag with a wide tip
and hand the whole deal to one of your minions.

Seriously, you do NOT want to be at this party. The amount of dysfunctional
infighting I've had to deal with already has been phenomenal. I'm going to set
up the food, grab the Maker's Mark and my smokes and sit out on the balcony
for most of the night.

--

The Bubbo wrote:

> I whip mascarpone with cardamom and ginger and then stuff that into
> strawberries. I cut the tops off the berries to make the flat surface, then
> flip them over and slice through the top 3 times to make sort of a * shape if
> you look at it from above. Put the mascarpone in a pastry bag with a wide tip
> and hand the whole deal to one of your minions.

Sounds good. I personally serve my strawberries with a very simple
dip......a dish of sour cream, topped with turbinado sugar crystals. If
I'm feeling fancy, I'll dice some candied ginger over the top. But I
adore mascarpone. I'll have to try it.

The Bubbo wrote:
> My grandfather's 80th birthday is saturday. We're throwing a big party for

him
> and I've been tasked to do the food. Luckily that's all I have to do. The
> party is being hosted at my sister's place, she's dealing with liquor and

the
> cake, my mom is dealing with hotel reservations for the out of town guests.
> This is truly the easiest party I'll ever have to deal with.
>
> It's mostly going to be finger food, the only thing that wouldn't really be
> eaten with the hands would be the salmon with lemon dill sauce and perhaps
> that is why I am waffling on it.
>
> Spiced ham with rollsSalmon with lemon dill sauce (this is tentative, we

might
> not need this,though I like to have an alternative to the ham. If I don't do
> this I mightdo salmon crostini with lemon cream)Crostini with hazelnut pesto
> and roasted butternut squashCroissants stuffed with feta/dill/spinach and/or
> curried veggies Mini crabcakes with cilantro cream Veggie sushiStuffed
> strawberriesVeggie platter with dipCheese plate with 2 kinds of homemade
> bread, olives, spiced nuts, homemade cherry ginger jam
>
> I start cooking friday afternoon and won't stop until the party starts.

wow, I just noticed that the list got all scrunchified. weird. It was a nice
list.

Spiced ham with rolls
Salmon with lemon dill sauce (this is tentative, we might
not need this,though I like to have an alternative to the ham. If I don't do
this I mightdo salmon crostini with lemon cream)
Crostini with hazelnut pesto and roasted butternut squash
Croissants stuffed with feta/dill/spinach and/or
curried veggies
Mini crabcakes with cilantro cream
Veggie sushi
Stuffed strawberries
Veggie platter with dip
Cheese plate with 2 kinds of homemade bread, olives, spiced nuts, homemade
cherry ginger jam

Sorry about that. So weird.

--

The Bubbo wrote:

>The Bubbo wrote:
>

>>My grandfather's 80th birthday is saturday. We're throwing a big party for
>>

>him
>

>>and I've been tasked to do the food. Luckily that's all I have to do. The
>>party is being hosted at my sister's place, she's dealing with liquor and
>>

>the
>

>>cake, my mom is dealing with hotel reservations for the out of town guests.
>>This is truly the easiest party I'll ever have to deal with.
>>
>>It's mostly going to be finger food, the only thing that wouldn't really be
>>eaten with the hands would be the salmon with lemon dill sauce and perhaps
>>that is why I am waffling on it.
>>
>>Spiced ham with rollsSalmon with lemon dill sauce (this is tentative, we
>>

>might
>

>>not need this,though I like to have an alternative to the ham. If I don't do
>>this I mightdo salmon crostini with lemon cream)Crostini with hazelnut pesto
>>and roasted butternut squashCroissants stuffed with feta/dill/spinach and/or
>>curried veggies Mini crabcakes with cilantro cream Veggie sushiStuffed
>>strawberriesVeggie platter with dipCheese plate with 2 kinds of homemade
>>bread, olives, spiced nuts, homemade cherry ginger jam
>>
>>I start cooking friday afternoon and won't stop until the party starts.
>>

>wow, I just noticed that the list got all scrunchified. weird. It was a nice
>list.
>
>Spiced ham with rolls
>Salmon with lemon dill sauce (this is tentative, we might
>not need this,though I like to have an alternative to the ham. If I don't do
>this I mightdo salmon crostini with lemon cream)
>Crostini with hazelnut pesto and roasted butternut squash
>Croissants stuffed with feta/dill/spinach and/or
>curried veggies
>Mini crabcakes with cilantro cream
>Veggie sushi
>Stuffed strawberries
>Veggie platter with dip
>Cheese plate with 2 kinds of homemade bread, olives, spiced nuts, homemade
>cherry ginger jam
>
>Sorry about that. So weird.

You call that lot easy? I get exhausted just reading the list!

Christine

Old Mother Ashby wrote:
> The Bubbo wrote:

>>wow, I just noticed that the list got all scrunchified. weird. It was a nice
>>list.
>>
>>Spiced ham with rolls
>>Salmon with lemon dill sauce (this is tentative, we might
>>not need this,though I like to have an alternative to the ham. If I don't do
>>this I mightdo salmon crostini with lemon cream)
>>Crostini with hazelnut pesto and roasted butternut squash
>>Croissants stuffed with feta/dill/spinach and/or
>>curried veggies
>>Mini crabcakes with cilantro cream
>>Veggie sushi
>>Stuffed strawberries
>>Veggie platter with dip
>>Cheese plate with 2 kinds of homemade bread, olives, spiced nuts, homemade
>>cherry ginger jam
>>
>>Sorry about that. So weird.
>>

> You call that lot easy? I get exhausted just reading the list!
>
> Christine

yeah, I get in my groove, fire-up an audio book on iTunes and just go on
autopilot. One of my aunts will be in town early and she's offered to chop and
roll things, it'll be nice to spend time with her.

--

The Bubbo wrote:

> Spiced ham with rolls
> Salmon with lemon dill sauce (this is tentative, we might
> not need this,though I like to have an alternative to the ham. If I don't do
> this I mightdo salmon crostini with lemon cream)
> Crostini with hazelnut pesto and roasted butternut squash
> Croissants stuffed with feta/dill/spinach and/or
> curried veggies
> Mini crabcakes with cilantro cream
> Veggie sushi
> Stuffed strawberries
> Veggie platter with dip
> Cheese plate with 2 kinds of homemade bread, olives, spiced nuts, homemade
> cherry ginger jam
>
> Sorry about that. So weird.

Menu changes
the veggie platter is out, lettuce wraps with marinated beef are in.
the salmon with lemon dill sauce has become crostini with smoked salmon,
roasted sweet potato and curried mascarpone

I'm thinking of getting rid of the ham and rolls as such as I think it would
be too cumbersome to have people stopping to slice their own ham and make
sandwiches with it. am considering either ham stuffed croissants or puff
pastry crocque monsieur. Any suggestions?

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

"The Bubbo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...
> The Bubbo wrote:
>

> > Spiced ham with rolls
> > Salmon with lemon dill sauce (this is tentative, we might
> > not need this,though I like to have an alternative to the ham. If I

don't do
> > this I mightdo salmon crostini with lemon cream)
> > Crostini with hazelnut pesto and roasted butternut squash
> > Croissants stuffed with feta/dill/spinach and/or
> > curried veggies
> > Mini crabcakes with cilantro cream
> > Veggie sushi
> > Stuffed strawberries
> > Veggie platter with dip
> > Cheese plate with 2 kinds of homemade bread, olives, spiced nuts,

homemade
> > cherry ginger jam
> >
> > Sorry about that. So weird.
> >

> Menu changes
> the veggie platter is out, lettuce wraps with marinated beef are in.
> the salmon with lemon dill sauce has become crostini with smoked salmon,
> roasted sweet potato and curried mascarpone
>
> I'm thinking of getting rid of the ham and rolls as such as I think it

would
> be too cumbersome to have people stopping to slice their own ham and make
> sandwiches with it. am considering either ham stuffed croissants or puff
> pastry crocque monsieur. Any suggestions?
>
> --
> .:Heather:.
> www.velvet-c.com
> Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

Spiral sliced ham? For a big party, with lots of dishes, at the last minute
I added plain rolls, sliced turkey, sliced ham, sliced cheddar and swiss,
and four kinds of mustard... People still tell me how delicous the
sandwiches were, and every time they do, I think "Huh?". With all the
interesting things you have, a plain ham sandwich might be just the ticket.

Metra wrote:

>> Menu changes
>> the veggie platter is out, lettuce wraps with marinated beef are in.
>> the salmon with lemon dill sauce has become crostini with smoked salmon,
>> roasted sweet potato and curried mascarpone
>>
>> I'm thinking of getting rid of the ham and rolls as such as I think it

> would
>> be too cumbersome to have people stopping to slice their own ham and make
>> sandwiches with it. am considering either ham stuffed croissants or puff
>> pastry crocque monsieur. Any suggestions?

> Spiral sliced ham? For a big party, with lots of dishes, at the last minute
> I added plain rolls, sliced turkey, sliced ham, sliced cheddar and swiss,
> and four kinds of mustard... People still tell me how delicous the
> sandwiches were, and every time they do, I think "Huh?". With all the
> interesting things you have, a plain ham sandwich might be just the ticket.

and we're back to ham! I picked up a spiral sliced ham. It comes with some
sort of flavor goo packet, I've never seen that before, but I'll stick with my
own mix.

we accidentally dropped a goodly hunk of smoked salmon on the floor and
Ghengis ate like the clown prince that he is.

I also forgot to buy more nori.

And the girl working the cheese counter tonight sucked. She was nice enough
but she kept trying to get me to buy cheese I didn't like, like those cheese
spreads that come in the fake plastice ramekins.

I am completely exhausted. I spent the day shopping and cooking and cooking
and cooking. Most of tomorrow will involve assembly and transporting food to
my sister's place.

and let me have a little rant here. My mother is completely freaking ut abou
tthis party. Like nervous breakdown kind of freaking out. Normally I would be
sympathetic but my sister pointed out that the only thing she has done for
this is send the invitations. My sister is hosting it, I'm making food for 35
people. She even made my sister make hotel reservations and get the cakes from
the bakery because my mom suddenly can't deal with the internet anymore. We're
both immensely frustrated.

Luckily, my aunt came in to town today and she came over to help me cook. We
got to catch up on old times. She's 4 years older than I am so we spent my
college years partying together. We had a great time reminiscing.

--

The Bubbo wrote:

> and we're back to ham! I picked up a spiral sliced ham. It comes with some
> sort of flavor goo packet, I've never seen that before, but I'll stick with

my
> own mix.
>
> we accidentally dropped a goodly hunk of smoked salmon on the floor and
> Ghengis ate like the clown prince that he is.
>
> I also forgot to buy more nori.
>
> And the girl working the cheese counter tonight sucked. She was nice enough
> but she kept trying to get me to buy cheese I didn't like, like those cheese
> spreads that come in the fake plastice ramekins.
>
> I am completely exhausted. I spent the day shopping and cooking and cooking
> and cooking. Most of tomorrow will involve assembly and transporting food to
> my sister's place.
>
> and let me have a little rant here. My mother is completely freaking ut abou
> tthis party. Like nervous breakdown kind of freaking out. Normally I would

be
> sympathetic but my sister pointed out that the only thing she has done for
> this is send the invitations. My sister is hosting it, I'm making food for

35
> people. She even made my sister make hotel reservations and get the cakes

from
> the bakery because my mom suddenly can't deal with the internet anymore.

We're
> both immensely frustrated.
>
> Luckily, my aunt came in to town today and she came over to help me cook. We
> got to catch up on old times. She's 4 years older than I am so we spent my
> college years partying together. We had a great time reminiscing.

The party was a hit. The food was excellent if I do say so myself. My homemade
jam had god flavor but didn't really thicken up, but people seemed to like it.
The stuffed croissants weren't eaten up, but they were off to the side and not
as accessible.

I am glad we did the ham. It was really popular and now I have lots of
leftover ham for omelets and soup. Not many leftovers otherwise. The crostini
were a huge hit with everyone wanting recipes.

All in all a great party. I'm exhausted and i am going to spend the day
watchng movies and crocheting.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:43:09 GMT, The Bubbo <[email protected]>
wrote:

>All in all a great party. I'm exhausted and i am going to spend the day
>watchng movies and crocheting.

Good on you, as my mother would say.

serene

The Bubbo <[email protected]> hitched up their panties and posted
news:p[email protected]:

> The Bubbo wrote:
>

>> and we're back to ham! I picked up a spiral sliced ham. It comes with
>> some sort of flavor goo packet, I've never seen that before, but I'll
>> stick with

> my
>> own mix.
>>
>> we accidentally dropped a goodly hunk of smoked salmon on the floor
>> and Ghengis ate like the clown prince that he is.
>>
>> I also forgot to buy more nori.
>>
>> And the girl working the cheese counter tonight sucked. She was nice
>> enough but she kept trying to get me to buy cheese I didn't like,
>> like those cheese spreads that come in the fake plastice ramekins.
>>
>> I am completely exhausted. I spent the day shopping and cooking and
>> cooking and cooking. Most of tomorrow will involve assembly and
>> transporting food to my sister's place.
>>
>> and let me have a little rant here. My mother is completely freaking
>> ut abou tthis party. Like nervous breakdown kind of freaking out.
>> Normally I would

> be
>> sympathetic but my sister pointed out that the only thing she has
>> done for this is send the invitations. My sister is hosting it, I'm
>> making food for

> 35
>> people. She even made my sister make hotel reservations and get the
>> cakes

> from
>> the bakery because my mom suddenly can't deal with the internet
>> anymore.

> We're
>> both immensely frustrated.
>>
>> Luckily, my aunt came in to town today and she came over to help me
>> cook. We got to catch up on old times. She's 4 years older than I am
>> so we spent my college years partying together. We had a great time
>> reminiscing.
>>

> The party was a hit. The food was excellent if I do say so myself. My
> homemade jam had god flavor but didn't really thicken up, but people
> seemed to like it. The stuffed croissants weren't eaten up, but they
> were off to the side and not as accessible.
>
> I am glad we did the ham. It was really popular and now I have lots of
> leftover ham for omelets and soup. Not many leftovers otherwise. The
> crostini were a huge hit with everyone wanting recipes.
>
> All in all a great party. I'm exhausted and i am going to spend the
> day watchng movies and crocheting.

The party sounds fun. I'm laying around here doing nada. Wish I'd had a
party but didn't. Watching movies and crocheting souns good. I'll watch
movies.I might make chicken too :) Only if I'm in the mood. It will be
Chicken Paprikash If I decide to make it.

Michael

--
“It requires a certain kind of mind to see beauty in a hamburger bun.”
_Ray Kroc, creator of the McDonald's franchise

The Bubbo wrote:

>The party was a hit. The food was excellent if I do say so myself. My homemade
>jam had god flavor but didn't really thicken up, but people seemed to like it.
>The stuffed croissants weren't eaten up, but they were off to the side and not
>as accessible.
>
>I am glad we did the ham. It was really popular and now I have lots of
>leftover ham for omelets and soup. Not many leftovers otherwise. The crostini
>were a huge hit with everyone wanting recipes.
>
>All in all a great party. I'm exhausted and i am going to spend the day
>watchng movies and crocheting.

Good on you! I am filled with admiration.

Christine