Party Time

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Just zis Guy, you know?, Apr 17, 2005.

  1. Michael's 11th is his last at the present school, and he wanted to
    invite lots of people, so we booked Reading Velodrome.

    We're thinking of a couple of normal races (maybe two heats and a
    race), a slow bicycle race, an obstacle course, a "devil take the
    hindmost", and a bicycle limbo. Any other ideas for quick
    bike-related fun & games?

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

    Tags:

  2. JBB

    JBB Guest

    > Michael's 11th is his last at the present school, and he wanted to
    > invite lots of people, so we booked Reading Velodrome.
    >
    > We're thinking of a couple of normal races (maybe two heats and a
    > race), a slow bicycle race, an obstacle course, a "devil take the
    > hindmost", and a bicycle limbo. Any other ideas for quick
    > bike-related fun & games?
    >

    > Guy
    > --
    > http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk
    >
    > "To every complex problem there is a solution which is
    > simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

    I.m not sure what the banking is like at the velodrome but how about start
    at the top and see how far you can go before you stop or have to pedal. -
    should suit those less athletic types.

    HTH
    Julia

  3. wafflycat

    wafflycat Guest

    > Any other ideas for quick
    > bike-related fun & games?

    A slalom? Any BMX jumps..

    Thwack the BMW wing mirror
    Bicycle archery with target painted on white van
    Fancy dress bike
    Pin the tail on the Clarkson

    Cheers, helen s ;-)

  4. davek

    davek Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > Any other ideas for quick
    > bike-related fun & games?

    Might not work on a velodrome, but the downhill coast is a good one - ie
    see who can travel furthest without using their pedals - if you can find
    a suitable hill nearby.

    d.

  5. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > Michael's 11th is his last at the present school, and he wanted to
    > invite lots of people, so we booked Reading Velodrome.
    >
    > We're thinking of a couple of normal races (maybe two heats and a
    > race), a slow bicycle race, an obstacle course, a "devil take the
    > hindmost", and a bicycle limbo. Any other ideas for quick
    > bike-related fun & games?

    50km relay sprint. Should have then nice & tired for bedtime... <eg>

    --
    jc

    Remove the -not from email

  6. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>, davek
    ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >> Any other ideas for quick
    >> bike-related fun & games?

    > Might not work on a velodrome, but the downhill coast is a good one -
    > ie see who can travel furthest without using their pedals - if you can
    > find a suitable hill nearby.

    Start at the top of the corner banking. Slightly problematic, though,
    that track bikes are fixies.

    'there are no solutions, only precipitates'

  7. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote:

    > Michael's 11th is his last at the present school, and he wanted to
    > invite lots of people, so we booked Reading Velodrome.
    >
    > We're thinking of a couple of normal races (maybe two heats and a
    > race), a slow bicycle race, an obstacle course, a "devil take the
    > hindmost", and a bicycle limbo. Any other ideas for quick
    > bike-related fun & games?

    Don't they have some derny's at Reading?
    Kids pacing parents should be fun ;-)

    More seriously - how many times can the kids circuit teh track in the
    time it takes parents to do one lap
    - or do I mean the other way around.

    John B

  8. Chris

    Chris Guest

    Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    Any other ideas for quick
    > bike-related fun & games?

    Try a lap on a unicycle?

  9. davek

    davek Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > Start at the top of the corner banking.

    Oh yeah... that's what Julia said, innit.

    >Slightly problematic, though,
    > that track bikes are fixies.

    You can tell I haven't really thought this one through.

    d.

  10. On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 20:27:54 +0000 (UTC), "JBB" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >I.m not sure what the banking is like at the velodrome but how about start
    >at the top and see how far you can go before you stop or have to pedal. -
    >should suit those less athletic types.

    That's a good idea :)

    Guy
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound

  11. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Michael's 11th is his last at the present school, and he wanted to
    > invite lots of people, so we booked Reading Velodrome.
    >
    > We're thinking of a couple of normal races (maybe two heats and a
    > race), a slow bicycle race, an obstacle course, a "devil take the
    > hindmost", and a bicycle limbo. Any other ideas for quick
    > bike-related fun & games?

    Set one rider clockwise and the other anticlockwise and do the Red
    Arrows' "Synchro Pair" thing. Or maybe not ;-)

  12. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:12:03 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Michael's 11th is his last at the present school, and he wanted to
    > invite lots of people, so we booked Reading Velodrome.

    Game of Quidditch on bikes?

    I've no idea of the rules, but it probably resembles polo.

  13. On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 21:38:53 +0100, John Hearns <[email protected]>
    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >Game of Quidditch on bikes?

    Strange to relate I thought of that the other day when looking at a
    picture of Danny's StreetMachine. A straight-tube 'bent could be
    handily done up as a broomstick, methinks.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  14. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    John Hearns suggested:
    > Game of Quidditch on bikes?
    >
    > I've no idea of the rules, but it probably resembles polo.

    Perhaps these rules could be modified to take account of the extra wheel:
    <URL:http://www.uk.unicyclist.com/quidditchrules/rules.html>

  15. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    John Hearns wrote:
    > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:12:03 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >
    > > Michael's 11th is his last at the present school, and he wanted to
    > > invite lots of people, so we booked Reading Velodrome.

    > Game of Quidditch on bikes?
    >
    > I've no idea of the rules, but it probably resembles polo.

    Given the general nature of the track Rollerball might be more
    suitable.

    --
    Dave...

  16. JohnB

    JohnB Guest

    dkahn400 wrote:

    > John Hearns wrote:
    > > On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:12:03 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > >
    > > > Michael's 11th is his last at the present school, and he wanted to
    > > > invite lots of people, so we booked Reading Velodrome.

    > > Game of Quidditch on bikes?
    > >
    > > I've no idea of the rules, but it probably resembles polo.

    > Given the general nature of the track Rollerball might be more
    > suitable.

    Reading is pretty 'flat' and bankings are only about 15 deg.
    Its also about quarter of a mile around :-(

    Calshot would be better.
    They even hold motor racing on it - albeit the remote control model kind
    ;-)

    John B

  17. John Hearns

    John Hearns Guest

    On Sun, 17 Apr 2005 21:12:03 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

    > Michael's 11th is his last at the present school, and he wanted to
    > invite lots of people, so we booked Reading Velodrome.

    Not using the velodrome specifically,
    but how about a game of Quidditch?

    ISTR reading a newspaper article on an school in England making
    rules for quidditch on bi