Pasadena Bike Rentals and ridng

ufatbastehd

Guest
I am going to be in Pasadena in early Nov. for a week. My wife will be
there on business and working all day so I get to stay for free for the
week. Want to spend my week days riding.
and exploring the area

So need help on the following

1/ Place to rent a decent bike for a week.

2/ Is Pasadena and surrounding areas bike friendly?

3/ Would like to ride to the beach but may be beyond my fitness level.
Does P Trans allow bikes?

Any input would be nice. Thanks in advance

ufatbastehd wrote:
> I am going to be in Pasadena in early Nov. for a week. My wife will be
> there on business and working all day so I get to stay for free for the
> week. Want to spend my week days riding.
> and exploring the area
>
> So need help on the following
>
> 1/ Place to rent a decent bike for a week.
>
> 2/ Is Pasadena and surrounding areas bike friendly?
>
> 3/ Would like to ride to the beach but may be beyond my fitness level.
> Does P Trans allow bikes?
>
> Any input would be nice. Thanks in advance

There are several good bike shops in Pasadena, but I don't know which,
if any, rent bikes. Call InCycle at 626-577-0440; they may be able to
direct you to the a rental place. There are excellent maps of bike
routes in Pasadena available free in any lbs. I consider Pasadena to
be quite bike-friendly.

The Foothill Cycle Club does several group rides during the week, on
which you'd certainly be welcome!

Cheers, Bernie

"ufatbastehd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I am going to be in Pasadena in early Nov. for a week. My wife will be
> there on business and working all day so I get to stay for free for the
> week. Want to spend my week days riding.
> and exploring the area

> 2/ Is Pasadena and surrounding areas bike friendly?

Twenty years ago I used to ride my bike to work, from my apartment down near
the CalTech campus up to northwest Pasadena. My husband (then boyfriend)
used to ride with me, and then on to JPL. This was a great commute, as we
rode uphill before the smog rose, and then downhill in the late afternoons.
By November smog won't be as much of an issue. Pasadena was fine for biking
back then. I did lots of rides around there, also in Eagle Rock, Highland
Park, Mt. Washington, etc.

I remember great mountain biking in the hills north of town, if that's your
sort of thing.

Links you might be interested in:
http://www.ci.pasadena.ca.us/trans/tpd/bikeway/bikemainpg.asp
http://www.pasadenatriclub.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=98
http://www.bicyclela.org/Transit.htm

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/

"ufatbastehd" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> I am going to be in Pasadena in early Nov. for a week. My wife will be
> there on business and working all day so I get to stay for free for
> the week. Want to spend my week days riding.
> and exploring the area
>
> So need help on the following
>
> 1/ Place to rent a decent bike for a week.
>
> 2/ Is Pasadena and surrounding areas bike friendly?
>
> 3/ Would like to ride to the beach but may be beyond my fitness level.
> Does P Trans allow bikes?
>
> Any input would be nice. Thanks in advance

1. Renting bikes... I do not know, try calling these shops; they are
knowledgeable and friendly.

Open Road Bicycle Shop
60 N Sierra Madre Blvd, Pasadena, CA
(626) 683-9986

or

Pasadena Cyclery
1670 E Walnut St, Pasadena, CA
(626) 795-2866

There is an REI in Arcadia but I don't know if they rent out bikes, they
do rent out other items for camping and climbing... might be worth a
try...

214 N Santa Anita Ave
Arcadia, CA 91006
(626) 447-1062

-------

2.Pasadena area info: here are a couple if links that should help.

http://www.labikepaths.com/bykinfo.html

and

http://www.bikemetro.com/home/home.asp
(this link is like a So Cal mapquest for bicycles)

-------

3. Metrolink train info:
http://www.metrolinktrains.com/

and from their FAO section...

Do you allow bicycles on trains?

Bicycles are allowed, but there's only room for two bicyles per train
car. The conductor may require a bicylist to relocate to a different car
or wait for a later train due to crowding.

If you board with your bike, please use the bicycle latches located on
the opposite end from the train's restroom in each car to secure your
bicycle.

Motorized or 3-wheel bikes are NOT allowed.
-------

Hope this helps
Rich

ufatbastehd wrote:
> I am going to be in Pasadena in early Nov. for a week. My wife will be
> there on business and working all day so I get to stay for free for the
> week. Want to spend my week days riding.
> and exploring the area
>
> So need help on the following
>
> 1/ Place to rent a decent bike for a week.

Instead of renting, is it possible for you to take your bicycle on the
trip or send it ahead to a Pasadena bike shop via UPS? I took my
bicycle to Salt Lake City (conference) via airplane. It was pretty
simple to take apart/put together the bicycle. I've always been more
comfortable on my own bike than on a rental.

> 2/ Is Pasadena and surrounding areas bike friendly?
>
> 3/ Would like to ride to the beach but may be beyond my fitness level.
> Does P Trans allow bikes?
>
> Any input would be nice. Thanks in advance

Thanks I'll look into that.

To all who replied thanks for all the information. The Pasadena to Long
Beach bike path was just what I was looking for!