Pasela vs. IRC Roadwinner II

landotter

Guest
In 27". Same price. Which one gets the votes? Not the TG or Duro
models, fwiw.

I'm leaning towards IRC as the tread is smoother, but if one is easier
to mount than the other, then I may be swayed.

In article
<[email protected]>,
"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In 27". Same price. Which one gets the votes? Not the TG or Duro
> models, fwiw.
>
> I'm leaning towards IRC as the tread is smoother, but if one is easier
> to mount than the other, then I may be swayed.

Just to confuse the matter, I use these $15 ISO 630 tires.
<http://www.serfas.com/tires/STK-27.shtm>

Nominal 32 mm width that measures out to 28 mm. Great
grip, smooth tread.

--
Michael Press

landotter wrote:
> In 27". Same price. Which one gets the votes? Not the TG or Duro
> models, fwiw.
>
> I'm leaning towards IRC as the tread is smoother, but if one is easier
> to mount than the other, then I may be swayed.

I don't know about the 27" version, but my 700x35 Paselas were always
very easy to mount and were a good performing tire with very few
punctures.

Smokey

Michael Press wrote:
> In article
> <[email protected]>,
> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > In 27". Same price. Which one gets the votes? Not the TG or Duro
> > models, fwiw.
> >
> > I'm leaning towards IRC as the tread is smoother, but if one is easier
> > to mount than the other, then I may be swayed.

> Just to confuse the matter, I use these $15 ISO 630 tires.
> <http://www.serfas.com/tires/STK-27.shtm>
>
> Nominal 32 mm width that measures out to 28 mm. Great
> grip, smooth tread.

broken link, it's: http://www.serfas.com/tires/STK-27.shtml damn "l" !

Look pretty nice, but I'm ordering from aebike.com and they don't carry
them. Did another search of the site and they have Vittoria Zaffiros in
27x 1 1/4! Don't know if they're better or worse than the Paselas, or
Roadwinners, but they do have black sidewalls. That's a dealbreaker for
me. I love the look of skinwalls, but they do get grubby. I've added
them to the cart, so ya'll warn me before I hit the "fire" button. I'll
launch the order tomorrow eve, after I've sold a guitar, as I like to
have motivation to unload before I aquire.

Thanks for the opine!

"landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In 27". Same price. Which one gets the votes? Not the TG or Duro
> models, fwiw.
>
> I'm leaning towards IRC as the tread is smoother, but if one is easier
> to mount than the other, then I may be swayed.

I have Panaracer Pasela TGs on 2 of my road bikes, 700c x 25 and 700c x
28 plus non TG 26" x 1.50 Paselas on a MTB. The 25s are about 26mm in
cross section and the 28s are about 30mm.

They are the best riding clinchers I've ever used. They have a springy,
bouncy feel like sewups. I haven't been riding them for very long so I
can't say anything about tread life or puncture resistance.

Chas.

* * Chas wrote:
> "landotter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > In 27". Same price. Which one gets the votes? Not the TG or Duro
> > models, fwiw.
> >
> > I'm leaning towards IRC as the tread is smoother, but if one is easier
> > to mount than the other, then I may be swayed.
> >

> I have Panaracer Pasela TGs on 2 of my road bikes, 700c x 25 and 700c x
> 28 plus non TG 26" x 1.50 Paselas on a MTB. The 25s are about 26mm in
> cross section and the 28s are about 30mm.
>
> They are the best riding clinchers I've ever used. They have a springy,
> bouncy feel like sewups. I haven't been riding them for very long so I
> can't say anything about tread life or puncture resistance.

I definitely need to try a set! Almost got some with an order from
aebike.com. First I was going to get some Contis to see if they were
still puncture prone pieces of ****. Email back said they were out, and
a look at roadbikereview confirmed my suspicions of that particular
Conti as being miserable. Anyway, I wanted a blackwall tire and the
only ones in my size were Vittoria Zaffiros. For $13/per and with great
reviews and recommendations over the years, I ordered them without
hesitation.

I'll try a 27" TG when I can see one in person, I've heard it's got a
wierd tread compared to the 700c size.

* * Chas wrote:
> [...]

springy,
> > bouncy feel like sewups. I haven't been riding them for very long so

> > can't say anything about tread life or puncture resistance.

> I definitely need to try a set! Almost got some with an order from
> aebike.com. First I was going to get some Contis to see if they were
> still puncture prone pieces of ****. Email back said they were out,

and
> a look at roadbikereview confirmed my suspicions of that particular
> Conti as being miserable. Anyway, I wanted a blackwall tire and the
> only ones in my size were Vittoria Zaffiros. For $13/per and with

great
> reviews and recommendations over the years, I ordered them without
> hesitation.
>
> I'll try a 27" TG when I can see one in person, I've heard it's got a

Older Paselas had a hard center ridge that some folks had problems with.
The new ones have a more or less all weather tread pattern. It doesn't
seem to affect the ride or handling. ASFAIK, all Paselas have tan
sidewalls. I prefer these over black or other colors since all of my
rides are retro.

Paselas have some of the most flexible sidewalls of any tires I've
checked. This makes for the sewup like ride but doesn't give much
protection against stones and so on.

Chas.
Retro Grouch