Pashley U+2

chris French

Guest
I have the possibility of purchasing 2nd hand Pashley U+2, from friend.

<http://www.pashley.co.uk/brilliant/products/pages/uplus2_page.htm>

Interested in anyone's experiences good or bad.

Yes, I'd like to end up with a triplet, but that's a wodge more money,
and we are just about to blow a serious wodge of the mortgage companies
money on a new house. they do want to sell, and while not heavily used,
it's 5 years old and needs a bit of work apparently, so might be a
reasonable price
--
Chris French, Leeds

Have no first hand experience of these. However, I have been keeping an
eye out for one on ebay and spent a bit of time searching across the web
for reviews.

The general feeling was that they are the best (and possibly only) tag
along for two. Best towed by a tandom but OK with normal bike.

Lots of interest on ebay on these. Ebay prices around £250 - £300 + £30
postage & packing.

If you don't buy it and it is within 60 miles of Bath then would be
interested.

Hope that this helps,

Gordon

In article <[email protected]>, Gordon Taylor wrote:
>Have no first hand experience of these. However, I have been keeping an
>eye out for one on ebay and spent a bit of time searching across the web
>for reviews.
>
>The general feeling was that they are the best (and possibly only) tag
>along for two. Best towed by a tandom but OK with normal bike.

I've seen adverts for (I think) an Adams Trail-a-bike for two.
(http://www.trail-a-bike.com/tab.htm doesn't list it, but then
http://www.pashley.co.uk/products.html doesn't list the U+2)
That had a single rear wheel though, I think the U+2's tricycle style
rear makes it much easier to hold upright while loading and unloading.
(embarking? enridering?)

I have a U+2 and a single-wheel single rider Tag-a-long. Neither is for
sale just yet. Only the U+2 has ever got shouts of "Cool bike" when
turning up for school. I don't have a tandem. With two strongly pedalling
children I imagine you could get up enough speed that a single towing bike's
brakes couldn't cope with an emergency stop, so for hard riding or long
distances a triplet might be safer, but the U+2 is fine if you are happy
to keep your speed down.
(I haven't looked into whether you could fit (hub?) brakes onto the U+2.
Certainly not easily, even if you do trust your stoker to use them
appropriately.)

chris French wrote:
> I have the possibility of purchasing 2nd hand Pashley U+2, from friend.
>
> <http://www.pashley.co.uk/brilliant/products/pages/uplus2_page.htm>
>
> Interested in anyone's experiences good or bad.

I used to have one in the days when the were made by Cresswell. They're
good - I never had any problems with it. I towed it behind a solo (a
Kirk Precision, in fact). The main problem is hills - they become hard
work if the children don't pedal. Experience shows that children are
far more likely to pedal going down hill than up - but that'll be the
same problem whatever you use.

The U+2 isn't the best machine off-road - if you ride any of the sorts
of lanes with wheel ruts either side and grass up the middle you're
likely to hit the ground with the derailleur. It can be done if you
carefully pick your route so, f'rinstance, the trailer has one wheel on
the grass in the middle and one running in the rut or part way up the
verge. The children never seemed to worry if the thing was leaning at
weird angles.

--
Andrew