Pashley U+2

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by chris French, Feb 20, 2005.

  1. chris French

    chris French Guest

    I have the possibility of purchasing 2nd hand Pashley U+2, from friend.

    <http://www.pashley.co.uk/brilliant/products/pages/uplus2_page.htm>

    Interested in anyone's experiences good or bad.

    Yes, I'd like to end up with a triplet, but that's a wodge more money,
    and we are just about to blow a serious wodge of the mortgage companies
    money on a new house. they do want to sell, and while not heavily used,
    it's 5 years old and needs a bit of work apparently, so might be a
    reasonable price
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

    Tags:

  2. Have no first hand experience of these. However, I have been keeping an
    eye out for one on ebay and spent a bit of time searching across the web
    for reviews.

    The general feeling was that they are the best (and possibly only) tag
    along for two. Best towed by a tandom but OK with normal bike.

    Lots of interest on ebay on these. Ebay prices around £250 - £300 + £30
    postage & packing.

    If you don't buy it and it is within 60 miles of Bath then would be
    interested.

    Hope that this helps,

    Gordon

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Gordon Taylor wrote:
    >Have no first hand experience of these. However, I have been keeping an
    >eye out for one on ebay and spent a bit of time searching across the web
    >for reviews.
    >
    >The general feeling was that they are the best (and possibly only) tag
    >along for two. Best towed by a tandom but OK with normal bike.

    I've seen adverts for (I think) an Adams Trail-a-bike for two.
    (http://www.trail-a-bike.com/tab.htm doesn't list it, but then
    http://www.pashley.co.uk/products.html doesn't list the U+2)
    That had a single rear wheel though, I think the U+2's tricycle style
    rear makes it much easier to hold upright while loading and unloading.
    (embarking? enridering?)

    I have a U+2 and a single-wheel single rider Tag-a-long. Neither is for
    sale just yet. Only the U+2 has ever got shouts of "Cool bike" when
    turning up for school. I don't have a tandem. With two strongly pedalling
    children I imagine you could get up enough speed that a single towing bike's
    brakes couldn't cope with an emergency stop, so for hard riding or long
    distances a triplet might be safer, but the U+2 is fine if you are happy
    to keep your speed down.
    (I haven't looked into whether you could fit (hub?) brakes onto the U+2.
    Certainly not easily, even if you do trust your stoker to use them
    appropriately.)

  4. Naqerj

    Naqerj Guest

    chris French wrote:
    > I have the possibility of purchasing 2nd hand Pashley U+2, from friend.
    >
    > <http://www.pashley.co.uk/brilliant/products/pages/uplus2_page.htm>
    >
    > Interested in anyone's experiences good or bad.

    I used to have one in the days when the were made by Cresswell. They're
    good - I never had any problems with it. I towed it behind a solo (a
    Kirk Precision, in fact). The main problem is hills - they become hard
    work if the children don't pedal. Experience shows that children are
    far more likely to pedal going down hill than up - but that'll be the
    same problem whatever you use.

    The U+2 isn't the best machine off-road - if you ride any of the sorts
    of lanes with wheel ruts either side and grass up the middle you're
    likely to hit the ground with the derailleur. It can be done if you
    carefully pick your route so, f'rinstance, the trailer has one wheel on
    the grass in the middle and one running in the rut or part way up the
    verge. The children never seemed to worry if the thing was leaning at
    weird angles.

    --
    Andrew