"pass the 'beaters"

hippy said:
I gave you a pedal people mover and you want it to TURN as well!?!

Geez! There's just no pleasing some people..

It's only good for riding along the Calder Hwy :)

hippy ;-)

therer's your venue for the HPV speed attempt :)

flyingdutch said:

Aaaaaargh! When I owned a Mini with worn-out hydrolastic suspension (BTW did you know that Alex Moulton designed this? Another story) I almost used to go airborne over the B-Double instigated 'waves' worn in the tarmac at the top of the outbound Keilor hill section. Strange to go the full travel (admittedly not much) over a supposedly flat section of road.

M 'two wheels good, four wheels bad" H

flyingdutch said:

There's a couple of flat, straight sections but I'm not sure if they're long
enough and I've only driven them so they could be rough as guts. Wind
would be a problem (no natural valley) and so would traffic.
But I'll add it to the list :)

hippy

(radical - back on thread)

seems they're not suited to my maintenance habits, damn.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/crank_bros_candy

Long-term users of Crank Brothers' pedals report that you do have to make sure you maintain the bearings. A screw-in plastic grease port is included with the pedals and it's a simple matter to remove the dustcap, fit the grease port, pump in new grease then swap the dustcap back out. However, while this kind of maintenance isn't essential with many pedals, it is vital with Candies, as the pedal turns on a bushing at one end and a ball-bearing at the other and bushings really don't like being run dry. Crank Bros recommends fresh grease every 100-300 hours of riding, which isn't too arduous a schedule and fortunately, if you do neglect them, spares are available and the pedals can be rebuilt.

aeek said:
(radical - back on thread)

seems they're not suited to my maintenance habits, damn.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech.php?id=tech/2004/reviews/crank_bros_candy

Long-term users of Crank Brothers' pedals report that you do have to make sure you maintain the bearings. A screw-in plastic grease port is included with the pedals and it's a simple matter to remove the dustcap, fit the grease port, pump in new grease then swap the dustcap back out. However, while this kind of maintenance isn't essential with many pedals, it is vital with Candies, as the pedal turns on a bushing at one end and a ball-bearing at the other and bushings really don't like being run dry. Crank Bros recommends fresh grease every 100-300 hours of riding, which isn't too arduous a schedule and fortunately, if you do neglect them, spares are available and the pedals can be rebuilt.

mine are just the 'you-bewt' cromo versions, but yes the re-greasing does seem like one of them 'why-didnt-someone-think-of-this-before' type things...

flyingdutch said:
mine are just the 'you-bewt' cromo versions, but yes the re-greasing does seem like one of them 'why-didnt-someone-think-of-this-before' type things...
Tioga did some pretty nifty flatties with micro-lube nipples 10 years ago. No longer (sob).

Shimano Spuds (the better ones) are de facto easy to grease: take out spindle with dinky plastic Shimano tool, empty out water, dwarf newts, and any alien civilizations which have taken up residence, poke big lumps of grease into the pedal hole, screw spindle back in, and watch the satisfying ooze of old grease being chased out by the new. Teeheehee!

Oh, then you have to wipe up. Euuch! Crustier grease I never did see . . .

M "Little things please little minds" H