Passed the 1000 mile mark for this season...

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by 64Paramount, Jun 22, 2010.

1. 64Paramount

64Paramount Active Member

....on my ride this morning.

I only rode around 1300 miles total last year, so I hope my schedule will continue to allow me to ride more this year.

How's everyone else doing?

Tags:

2. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I set a target of 12,000 miles in one calendar year a 5 years ago and I managed to achieve it.

Never felt more fit since my racing days (back in the 1980's).
    Remarkable the difference in my physique between before and after.

1,000 miles is a very good achievement.
    Just keep pedalling away and remember it's supposed to be enjoyment!

3. bianchi10

bianchi10 New Member

Im at 902 total miles since I started 7 months ago. I am hoping to break 1000 by next week!

4. serra

serra New Member

I just started recording last week. Didn't really care much before, but I plan on touring someday, and it would be nice to know what I'm capable of. It also helps remind me when to start checking for chain wear and such. 82 miles since last Tuesday. I hope to find the time to get up to at least 100 a week.

5. 64Paramount

Wow, 12,000 miles! That's amazing to me, I don't think I ever rode much more than 2,500 per year even when I was in my twenties. That's awsome!

I've only been riding 14 weeks this year to reach the 1000 mile mark, but I don't think I'd be able to keep up with you. If I remember correctly you averaged around 15.7 mph on that century ride you did a couple of weeks ago. I rode 60 miles last Sunday with an average of 15.1 mph and I was really tired. I don't think I could have ridden another 40 miles that day.

Yeah, it's kind of fun to keep track your mileage. And as you mentioned, it's also useful for bike maintenance. I like to know how many miles are on my tires, etc. Bike computers are really inexpensive these days and are great for all of those uses.

6. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

I passed it last Sunday on an easy ride with a lady friend. Now I have 1062 on the comp's odo.

7. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

You should stop at 1301 miles, this year, so that you don't end up disappointed in last year's mileage.

8. 64Paramount

LOL.....that's a unique way to look at it. :cool:

9. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

Nice. You'll easily double or even triple?? last year's mileage if you keep it up!

I'm at 2488kms so far. 1555miles. KMS sounds much better!!

My goal by November is 6000kms. Gonna be tough!

10. GT Fanatic

GT Fanatic New Member

Good for you!

11. 64Paramount

KMS does sound better, Cdn! I think I may switch to that. :D

If I ride 2000 miles in a season, then I think I've had a pretty good year. Family and work have to come first you know.

Sounds like your getting in a lot of miles this year. Hope you make your goal! :cool:

12. CdnRider

CdnRider New Member

I'm trying to get out as much as I can. Usually 4-6x a week. Most of it is at night when the family's already asleep! Sometimes I'll sneak out for as little as a quick 40min spin. But all those little rides have been adding up surprisingly. I rarely get out for 60k + rides. Heaps of 30's and 40s though. I'm under the mindset that "nothing beats time in the saddle!".

I've gotten faster! And trimmer! Lost 25lbs since march break. Wooohooo.

13. alienator

To be sure you don't get a big head and think to much of your achievement, I'd think of the distance you've pedaled so far in terms of parsecs: 0.00000000067802 parsecs.

14. 64Paramount

So what is my average light speed? Or would that be warp speed?

15. alienator

Compared to the speed of light, your speed is officially called "depressing." Don't worry, though: compared to the speed of light, Fabian Cancellara is ever so barely faster than you. The difference is insignificant.

16. serra

serra New Member

Heh I lost mine when I moved :( Well, actually I just lost the back that holds the battery. I could fix it, but I've kind of grown to like not using it, not so focused on average speed (Is it just me or does it always seem depressingly low?). I just use mapmyride after the ride to record the miles.

17. Mister2pi

Mister2pi New Member

Awesome work! So, when does your season start and end? I teach high school so I hope to get 1,000 in this summer, and maybe total 2,500 - 3,200 for the year, if I'm lucky. I know my totals will slip once school starts back up again.

18. 64Paramount

Normally I would start sometime in April and be able to ride till around the end of September.

It really varies a lot...this year we had an early Spring and I did my first rides towards the end of March.

Most of the time we get 6 good months of riding weather and some people are willing to ride in more extreme weather than I am.

Good luck to you on your mileage goals, Mister2pi. Keep us posted.. :cool: