passengers in vans

Doobrie

Guest
on my way home tonight as i was trundling up a 1.3 mile slow gradient a white van passed me and i
had the delightful surprise of some lad shouting something at me loudly and laughing, havent the
faintest idea what he shouted but it didnt sound like encouragment with the hand signals he was
using too ... certainly nothing from the highway code that i know of!!

what is it about passengers in vans, ive heard of this behavoir a few times and just cant
understand it

he's lucky we werent near any stopped traffic lights or he might have found himself dragged out of
the open window by me, espeically the mood i was in at the time going up that bloody hill!

.... in a few months time this hill will likely be just a minor slope i know, but right now its a
blinkin mountain, well ... one i can ascend ... slowly! ;) - the only good thing about it is i will
be travelling it in the opposite direction in the morning which will be nice but then there's its
little brother, a half mile slow ascent which i think is a little steeper, ce la vie!

In message <[email protected]>, doobrie
<[email protected]> writes
>on my way home tonight as i was trundling up a 1.3 mile slow gradient a white van passed me and i
>had the delightful surprise of some lad shouting something at me loudly and laughing, havent the
>faintest idea what he shouted but it didnt sound like encouragment with the hand signals he was
>using too ... certainly nothing from the highway code that i know of!!
>
>what is it about passengers in vans, ive heard of this behavoir a few times and just cant
>understand it

They are training to be a fully qualified White Van Man (WVM) :)

Rather get het up about this sort of stupidity, I find a smile and a wave a good response.

My favourite (when I was driving a car as it happens) was to be called a 'Speccy *******' by a chap
driving another car (who had cut me up and been an all round idiot). I was too busy laughing to
respond - last time I was called that was when I was at school :)
--
Chris French, Leeds

doobrie wrote:

> what is it about passengers in vans, ive heard of this behavoir a few times and just cant
> understand it

dunno, but I recently had the same and blew the geezer a kiss. Most confused he was too. <grin>

--
Dnc

Once upon a time, chris French <[email protected]> wrote:
>My favourite (when I was driving a car as it happens) was to be called a 'Speccy *******' by a chap
>driving another car (who had cut me up and been an all round idiot). I was too busy laughing to
>respond - last time I was called that was when I was at school :)

The correct response to this is of course "No, I know exactly who the father of my speccy was, he
was Clive Sinclair!". :)

--
- Pyromancer Stormshadow http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
http://www.littlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal! http://www.revival.stormshadow.com <-- The

> on my way home tonight as i was trundling up a 1.3 mile slow gradient a white van passed me and i
> had the delightful surprise of some lad shouting something at me loudly and laughing, havent the
> faintest idea what he shouted but it didnt sound like encouragment with the hand signals he was
> using too ... certainly nothing from the highway code that i know of!!
>
> what is it about passengers in vans, ive heard of this behavoir a few times and just cant
> understand it

If it is a van with any company name on, I've had a couple, then write to the company pointing out
that the actions of their trained monkey has lost them potential work---they don't know you're not a
resource executive at a major multinational.

Colin

"Doesnotcompute" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> doobrie wrote:
>
> > what is it about passengers in vans, ive heard of this behavoir a few times and just cant
> > understand it
>
> dunno, but I recently had the same and blew the geezer a kiss. Most confused he was too. <grin>
>
> --
> Dnc

yes, confused indeed - lol - good one

> If it is a van with any company name on, I've had a couple, then write to the company pointing out
> that the actions of their trained monkey has lost them potential work---they don't know you're not
> a resource executive at a major multinational.
>
> Colin

yes, all i caught was some meat something or other, didnt have time to get anything else - next time
i'll be better prepared - definately one of those times you could do with a helmet cam for later
analysis on the 'ole puter! a snap every couple seconds should capture enough ... or maybe just a
handlebar mounted button to trigger ... lol ... james bond here we come!!

Not just vans, Doobrie my old. The other day I was overtaking a V+lv+ in traffic at the top of
Stamford Hill, N16. Mrs V+lv+ is simultaneously yakking on the phone, fiddling with the stereo and
making an attempt at an unsignalled lane change which, if successful, would have resulted in her
sandwiching me between her Swedish Brick and some other tin box. Suddenly she notices a brightly
coloured object alongside...

I should have like to have snatched the telephone from her hand and stamped on it. The telephone,
that is, not the hand. Although now I come to think of it...

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:03:39 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

>If it is a van with any company name on, I've had a couple, then write to the company

Remembering to use a nice letterhead, even if it is just LaserJet PLC

"Andy Dingley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 09:03:39 +0100, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >If it is a van with any company name on, I've had a couple, then write to the company
>
> Remembering to use a nice letterhead, even if it is just LaserJet PLC

but also to not use your own address unless your not bothered with stalking ;) , i seem to remember
seeing a film where a woman reported a dodgy driver and he was fired from job, then went on to get
copy of paperwork with her details on and stalked her!

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

> If it is a van with any company name on, I've had a couple, then write to the company pointing
> out that the actions of their trained monkey has lost them potential work---they don't know
> you're not a resource executive at a major multinational.

It's even better when it is a company that you do specify for high-value work. I was once run off
the road by a lorry belonging to part of the same group of comnpanies as a crane-hire company I was
currently considering for a fairly major contract. They were actually in second place on teh
shortlist at the time of teh incident, but they didn't need to know that...

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:42:01 +0100, doobrie <[email protected]> wrote:

>what is it about passengers in vans, ive heard of this behavoir a few times and just cant
>understand it

They have all the aggression of the driver and none of the power. A "fast, flash passenger" is
infinitely more pathetic than the "fast, flash driver."

Top off, top on...

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com New!
Improved!! Now with added extra Demon!

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 21:57:17 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 21:42:01 +0100, doobrie <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>what is it about passengers in vans, ive heard of this behavoir a few times and just cant
>>understand it
>
>They have all the aggression of the driver and none of the power. A "fast, flash passenger" is
>infinitely more pathetic than the "fast, flash driver."

I had a corker tonight...

Was out for a bit of a thrash, pedaling along happily at 20-22mph when a car full of lads overtook
very closely. Nothing too alarming so far, but, then, as they passed the passenger leant out and
grabbed hold of my right forearm. I'm not sure if the "joke" was to try and hang on and accelerate
away or to actually turn me and the bike into and under the car, don't think he knew either.

Happily I broke his grip fairly easily and they sped off all laughing. What a hoot eh?

Bob

In news:[email protected], Call me Bob <[email protected]> typed:

> I had a corker tonight...
>
> Was out for a bit of a thrash, pedaling along happily at 20-22mph when a car full of lads overtook
> very closely. Nothing too alarming so far, but, then, as they passed the passenger leant out and
> grabbed hold of my right forearm. I'm not sure if the "joke" was to try and hang on and accelerate
> away or to actually turn me and the bike into and under the car, don't think he knew either.
>
> Happily I broke his grip fairly easily and they sped off all laughing. What a hoot eh?

Did you memorise the numberplate and report it?

Tony

--
"Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it. " Philip K. ****

> Did you memorise the numberplate and report it?

How does Bob :-

1. Break the prats grip

2. Correct his (possibly massive) wobble.

3. Cack his pants.

4. Recover his composure.

5. Read and memorise the numberplate of a van speeding away?

I've always found that the plates of those I would most like to see having their goolies removed
without anaesthetic are always far to far away to read by the time I've re-established control &
composure.

> Happily I broke his grip fairly easily and they sped off all laughing. What a hoot eh?
>

> Bob
> --

pity you didnt have just enough hold to break his bloody arm too, now that would have been justice!

It would certainly be nice under these circumstances to:

1. grab the oik firmly by the barnet, and
2. brake as hard as possible

but they usually haven't enough hair to make this a goer, chiz.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> It would certainly be nice under these circumstances to:
> 1. grab the oik firmly by the barnet, and
> 2. brake as hard as possible but they usually haven't enough hair to make this a goer, chiz. Dave
> Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/

making sure you pull the rear brake lever and not the front, one hand on the bar whilst pulling the
front brake doesnt do a lot for control .... ive found ;) !!

doobrie wrote:

> making sure you pull the rear brake lever and not the front, one hand on the bar whilst pulling
> the front brake doesnt do a lot for control .... ive found ;) !!

Ar, but assuming that one's brakes are set up conventionally (right = front) and that the oik and
his oiky mate at the wheel are passing conventionally
(i.e. on the right), then it would be difficult to hit the front brake instead of the rear. Unless,
or course, one were some variety of Indian goddess. In which case thunderbolts and various
other forms of Divine Smiting would be available as methods of Oik Re-Education :)

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> Ar, but assuming that one's brakes are set up conventionally (right =
front)
> and that the oik and his oiky mate at the wheel are passing conventionally
> (i.e. on the right), then it would be difficult to hit the front brake instead of the rear.
> Unless, or course, one were some variety of Indian goddess. In which case thunderbolts and
> various other forms of Divine Smiting would be available as methods of Oik Re-Education :)
> Dave Larrington - http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk/

had this very thought right after i posted ... well, without the indian goddess portion!!