Passing commuters

In article <[email protected]>,
MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:

> It is a bit unfair though, I+others got abused by a pedestrian crossing
> the road because we had stopped and other riders ran the red light.

Same thing here -- all riders were guilty by association. I actually
yelled out to him that he was right, the pair were idiots, but he
assumed I was calling him an idiot. Sigh.

--
Shane Stanley

"MikeyOz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Gags Wrote:
>> He was clearly buggered by the top of the hill and
>> I was having a bit of a chuckle to myself - I then let the gravity
>> turbo
>> kick in (steel bike + 102kg Gags + approx 8kg backpack + slicks pumped
>> to 65
>> psi + hubs only repacked and adjusted last week) and I went past both
>> of
>> them on the downhill without having to turn a pedal.
>>

> ok maybe I am being a bit over-sensative or something I don't know, but
> why did you find that you had to overtake him anyway, did it just make
> you feel better about yourself ?? Maybe the guy had just ridden 200km's
> ?? Maybe he had been off somewhere doing long hill sprints or something
> and was at the end of his tether and now he has some-one
> tail-gating/passing him when he is exhausted.

I felt I had to overtake him because I was buggered if I was going to apply
the brakes to stay behind the two guys!!! As I said in the OP, I didn't
turn a pedal on the downhill (nor did I draft the guys at any stage) - I
just let gravity take its course.

It had nothing to do with "feeling better about myself" - it was a Friday
night and after a few beers I was already feeling good about myself ;) As
for whether he had just ridden 200kms - probably unlikely given the time and
place........even if he had - so what - I didn't force him to try and drop
me up the hill!!! If either him or his mate had said "G'day" as they passed
I probably would have let them both go - as it was, both of them went past
without even letting me know they were coming and when the second guy was
clearly trying to smash past me I thought it was time to dispell his notions
about an "old" guy wearing a back pack and riding a crappy old steel
singlespeed being an "easy target" for overtaking. Bah Humbug.

Gags - getting older, getting grumpier

Duncan wrote:
> On Oct 15, 9:48 am, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > ... I was SOOOOOOO angry with the idiot but
> > didn't have the right words to drill him with. I'm open for some useful
> > input on the subject. I'm keen to speak to this guy. He's giving good
> > riders a bad name and putting his life in danger.

> I usually say something along the lines of.. "you know, that was a red
> light back there.. you make us all look like dickheads when you do
> that"..
>
> if there's any retort (there usually isn't), ask them why they think
> cars should give way to them if they dno't obey the road rules
> themselves.

I'm thinking nice speed differential, straight arm, open palm, connect
with the back of their helmet as I go past.

....of course, I'm too much of a big sissy to actually *do* it.

BTH

BT Humble said:
Duncan wrote:
> On Oct 15, 9:48 am, Bean Long <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > ... I was SOOOOOOO angry with the idiot but
> > didn't have the right words to drill him with. I'm open for some useful
> > input on the subject. I'm keen to speak to this guy. He's giving good
> > riders a bad name and putting his life in danger.

> I usually say something along the lines of.. "you know, that was a red
> light back there.. you make us all look like dickheads when you do
> that"..
>
> if there's any retort (there usually isn't), ask them why they think
> cars should give way to them if they dno't obey the road rules
> themselves.

I'm thinking nice speed differential, straight arm, open palm, connect
with the back of their helmet as I go past.

....of course, I'm too much of a big sissy to actually *do* it.

BTH
Human magpie?

SteveA

SteveA wrote:
> BTHumble Wrote:
> > Duncan wrote:
> > > if there's any retort (there usually isn't), ask them why they think
> > > cars should give way to them if they dno't obey the road rules
> > > themselves.

> > I'm thinking nice speed differential, straight arm, open palm, connect
> > with the back of their helmet as I go past.

> > ....of course, I'm too much of a big sissy to actually *do* it.

> Human magpie?

I never thought of it like that - I'll be sure to clack my beak loudly
as I thwack them then! ;-)

BTH

SteveA wrote:
> BTHumble Wrote:
> > Duncan wrote:
> > > if there's any retort (there usually isn't), ask them why they think
> > > cars should give way to them if they dno't obey the road rules
> > > themselves.

> > I'm thinking nice speed differential, straight arm, open palm, connect
> > with the back of their helmet as I go past.

> > ....of course, I'm too much of a big sissy to actually *do* it.

> Human magpie?

I never thought of it like that - I'll be sure to clack my beak loudly
as I thwack them then! ;-)

BTH

OzCableguy said:
When you're doing intervals and come up behind a seasoned commuter and have
to pass, how do you do it without looking like a ****** trying to race?

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

you don't, you just calculate your score. Refer to this article:
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/humour-a-passing-score-12522

Adam

adam85 said:
you don't, you just calculate your score. Refer to this article:
http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/humour-a-passing-score-12522

Adam

That was very, very good.... :) I particularly likd the chain ring mark on his left leg and gut squashing....

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 18:41:19 +1000
MikeyOz <[email protected]> wrote:

> adam85 Wrote:
>> you don't, you just calculate your score. Refer to this article:
>> http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/humour-a-passing-score-12522
>>
>> Adam

> That was very, very good.... :) I particularly likd the chain ring mark
> on his left leg and gut squashing....

I liked the fact that it had to be at least 10kmh more than the 'bent.
Most people only manage a bit over 5 past me.

(Till they change up anyway....)

Zebee

MikeyOz wrote:
> OzCableguy Wrote:
>> but sometimes I
>> wonder what crosses their minds when a big fat bloke on a mountain
>> bike
>> whips by huffing and puffing for all I'm worth only to have them catch
>> me up
>> a bit further down the road once I've backed off again

> As you pass them shout out "come on lard ar$e" :)

A couple of years ago on the Sydney Spring cycle, I had ridden at (for
me) reasonable speed all the way to Olympic park. For the last 1K or so
I had ridden with another guy about half my age. As we turned into the
finishing straight I pulled out of his slipstream and said "so what have
you got left?". He couldn't sprint for laughing. A great new tactic.

Bean Long wrote:

> A few weeks ago there was a guy riding in front of me southward on
> Adelaide Ave.

<snip>
> I was SOOOOOOO angry with the idiot but didn't have the right words
> to drill him with. I'm open for some useful input on the subject. I'm
> keen to speak to this guy. He's giving good riders a bad name and
> putting his life in danger.

Why bother getting angry? Just ignore him, stay cool, Darwin will take care
of him eventually.

Theo

On Oct 17, 3:41 pm, adam85 <adam85.2yl...@no-
mx.forums.cyclingforums.com> wrote:

> you don't, you just calculate your score. Refer to this article:http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/humour-a-passing-score-12522

That's great!

When this thread came up I started wondering about this one:

"No-Pass: If it turns out that the other guy really was just spinning
along and is now happy to ride at your pace and chat, and seems
capable of riding at your pace and chatting even though you are at
your absolute upper limit, and continues doing so until you explode
and collapse in a quivering mass on the road, set your score back to
-25, for you have just been totally pwned."

Well I'm quite often overtaken by people during my commute to work and
then I find once I get into their slipstream keeping up with them is
almost effortless and after a few minutes of drafting I've rested
enough that I can overtake again and ride off.

How do I manage that without looking like a ******? :)

Travis wrote:

> How do I manage that without looking like a ******? :)

You're going to look like a ****** anyway, so don't bother doing anything
"right".

At my last ATBIAD, I had one ****** that slipstreamed me for a while, then
come up in front of me and said I could slip him for a while.

Why was I ******?

Being the eternal optimist that I am, I'm SURE it was purely coincidence,
but he did that at the exact moment a hill came up, and by that stage we were
moving too slow for slipstreaming to make any difference.
Just to put icing on the cake, he was nice and fresh after slipping me for
the past few Ks and took off up the hill ahead of me.

Had to have been a member of the Bastards Inc riding club...
--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org>