Pasta: same day or leftovers?

Nexis

Guest
My husband and I were talking last night about pasta (we were discussing what to serve at my
daughters b-day party). I was mentioning that I wanted to make something I could make ahead and
reheat when it was time....with him, that's most pasta dishes! He really prefers spaghetti, shells,
etc the next day, reheated. He actually likes it when the parmesan gets all gooey in the sauce,
which makes it too thick for my tastes. So that got me wondering....do you prefer dishes like
spaghetti the day you prepare it? Or leftovers? I used to eat leftover spaghetti for breakfast all
through highschool, but I stored them separately and reheated them separately. I can do leftover
lasagna, but most things I don't like them stored with the sauce.

kimberly

>My husband and I were talking last night about pasta (we were discussing what to serve at my
>daughters b-day party). I was mentioning that I wanted to make something I could make ahead and
>reheat when it was time....with him, that's most pasta dishes! He really prefers spaghetti, shells,
>etc the next day, reheated. He actually likes it when the parmesan gets all gooey in the sauce,
>which makes it too thick for my tastes. So that got me wondering....do you prefer dishes like
>spaghetti the day you prepare it? Or leftovers? I used to eat leftover spaghetti for breakfast all
>through highschool, but I stored them separately and reheated them separately. I can do leftover
>lasagna, but most things I don't like them stored with the sauce.
>
>kimberly

I enjoy cold spaghetti, even mixed together, and I have to say LO pizza ia a favorite, but other
cold mixed pasta does very little for me. Rosie

In article <Om60c.3837$506.1259@fed1read05>, "Nexis" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> My husband and I were talking last night about pasta (we were discussing what to serve at my
> daughters b-day party). I was mentioning that I wanted to make something I could make ahead and
> reheat when it was time....with him, that's most pasta dishes! He really prefers spaghetti,
> shells, etc the next day, reheated. He actually likes it when the parmesan gets all gooey in the
> sauce, which makes it too thick for my tastes. So that got me wondering....do you prefer dishes
> like spaghetti the day you prepare it? Or leftovers? I used to eat leftover spaghetti for
> breakfast all through highschool, but I stored them separately and reheated them separately. I can
> do leftover lasagna, but most things I don't like them stored with the sauce.
>
> kimberly

Pasta seafood salad..... ;-d

Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

"Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <Om60c.3837$506.1259@fed1read05>, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > My husband and I were talking last night about pasta (we were discussing what to serve at my
> > daughters b-day party). I was mentioning that I
wanted
> > to make something I could make ahead and reheat when it was time....with him, that's most pasta
> > dishes! He really prefers spaghetti, shells, etc
the
> > next day, reheated. He actually likes it when the parmesan gets all
gooey in
> > the sauce, which makes it too thick for my tastes. So that got me wondering....do you prefer
> > dishes like spaghetti the day you prepare it?
Or
> > leftovers? I used to eat leftover spaghetti for breakfast all through highschool, but I stored
> > them separately and reheated them separately. I
can
> > do leftover lasagna, but most things I don't like them stored with the sauce.
> >
> > kimberly
> >

> Pasta seafood salad..... ;-d

Sounds like something hubby would love...care to post your recipe? :)

kimberly

wrote:

> My husband and I were talking last night about pasta (we were discussing what to serve at my
> daughters b-day party). I was mentioning that I wanted to make something I could make ahead and
> reheat when it was time....with him, that's most pasta dishes! He really prefers spaghetti,
> shells, etc the next day, reheated. He actually likes it when the parmesan gets all gooey in the
> sauce, which makes it too thick for my tastes. So that got me wondering....do you prefer dishes
> like spaghetti the day you prepare it? Or leftovers? I used to eat leftover spaghetti for
> breakfast all through highschool, but I stored them separately and reheated them separately. I can
> do leftover lasagna, but most things I don't like them stored with the sauce.
>
> kimberly

When the sauce and noodles come out even, I cheer. Depending on the leftover quantity of each, I put
the sauce on the pasta (if there's only a serving of each left) and reheat it together. If there's a
fair amount of either or both left over, I store them separately and combine on a dinner plate for
nuking to reheat. Cinchy.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

In article <3l80c.3870$506.3614@fed1read05>, "Nexis" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KatraMungBean-
> [email protected]...
> > In article <Om60c.3837$506.1259@fed1read05>, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > My husband and I were talking last night about pasta (we were discussing what to serve at my
> > > daughters b-day party). I was mentioning that I
> wanted
> > > to make something I could make ahead and reheat when it was time....with him, that's most
> > > pasta dishes! He really prefers spaghetti, shells, etc
> the
> > > next day, reheated. He actually likes it when the parmesan gets all
> gooey in
> > > the sauce, which makes it too thick for my tastes. So that got me wondering....do you prefer
> > > dishes like spaghetti the day you prepare it?
> Or
> > > leftovers? I used to eat leftover spaghetti for breakfast all through highschool, but I stored
> > > them separately and reheated them separately. I
> can
> > > do leftover lasagna, but most things I don't like them stored with the sauce.
> > >
> > > kimberly
> > >

> > Pasta seafood salad..... ;-d

> Sounds like something hubby would love...care to post your recipe? :)
>
> kimberly

Oh I don't have a set recipe, I just play as the mood strikes. ;-)

But, here is the general idea:

Tri-color fusili <sp?> That white, green and red twisty pasta, cooked per usual in a little lightly
salted water.

Drain and chill.

To that, add some chopped fake crab meat and/or salad shrimp, a dash of garlic powder and salt
free lemon pepper, and dill relish to taste. Dress with Mayonaissa, the mayonaisse that is made
with lime.

Good flavor. :) I'll also often add a little sour cream to sweeten it a bit.

You can also add your choice of pickled veggies, like some chopped green olives, artichoke hearts,
maybe some asparagus...

It's very easy to get creative with pasta salad.

Hope this helps? :)

K.

--

On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:55:29 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:

>My husband and I were talking last night about pasta (we were discussing what to serve at my
>daughters b-day party). I was mentioning that I wanted to make something I could make ahead and
>reheat when it was time....with him, that's most pasta dishes! He really prefers spaghetti, shells,
>etc the next day, reheated. He actually likes it when the parmesan gets all gooey in the sauce,
>which makes it too thick for my tastes. So that got me wondering....do you prefer dishes like
>spaghetti the day you prepare it? Or leftovers? I used to eat leftover spaghetti for breakfast all
>through highschool, but I stored them separately and reheated them separately. I can do leftover
>lasagna, but most things I don't like them stored with the sauce.

Italians eat only pasta freshly made and are, of course, disgusted by things such as canned
spaghetti... Hovewer, one of the best dishes (and my favourite too) are the "frittata di
maccheroni": leftover spaghetti (or any kind pasta) mixed with eggs then fried omelette-style...
Also cold and, cutted in pieces, eated by hand (non fork nor plate) it's delicious... so delicious
that we made it even with pasta made expressely for the purpose, not necessarily with leftovers...
You can add a bit of cheese, mozzarella or whatever else too...

best,

Jiminy

In article <[email protected]>,
Jiminy <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 11:55:29 -0800, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >My husband and I were talking last night about pasta (we were discussing what to serve at my
> >daughters b-day party). I was mentioning that I wanted to make something I could make ahead and
> >reheat when it was time....with him, that's most pasta dishes! He really prefers spaghetti,
> >shells, etc the next day, reheated. He actually likes it when the parmesan gets all gooey in the
> >sauce, which makes it too thick for my tastes. So that got me wondering....do you prefer dishes
> >like spaghetti the day you prepare it? Or leftovers? I used to eat leftover spaghetti for
> >breakfast all through highschool, but I stored them separately and reheated them separately. I
> >can do leftover lasagna, but most things I don't like them stored with the sauce.
>
> Italians eat only pasta freshly made and are, of course, disgusted by things such as canned
> spaghetti... Hovewer, one of the best dishes (and my favourite too) are the "frittata di
> maccheroni": leftover spaghetti (or any kind pasta) mixed with eggs then fried omelette-style...

Oh man, I've actually done this. ;-)

> Also cold and, cutted in pieces, eated by hand (non fork nor plate) it's delicious... so delicious
> that we made it even with pasta made expressely for the purpose, not necessarily with leftovers...
> You can add a bit of cheese, mozzarella or whatever else too...
>

> best,
>
> Jiminy

"leftovers" omelette or frittata can be a beautiful thing...... :)

I do this a lot with stir fry. Heat up the leftovers in a skillet and add eggs and jack or mozarella
cheeze. Fold gently until the eggs are soft cooked. Simple, quick and yummy!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

"Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <3l80c.3870$506.3614@fed1read05>, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KatraMungBean-
> > [email protected]...

> > wanted
> > the
> > gooey in
it?
> > Or
> > can

> > > Pasta seafood salad..... ;-d

> > Sounds like something hubby would love...care to post your recipe? :)
> >
> > kimberly
> >

> Oh I don't have a set recipe, I just play as the mood strikes. ;-)
>
> But, here is the general idea:
>
> Tri-color fusili <sp?> That white, green and red twisty pasta, cooked per usual in a little
> lightly salted water.
>
> Drain and chill.
>
> To that, add some chopped fake crab meat and/or salad shrimp, a dash of garlic powder and salt
> free lemon pepper, and dill relish to taste. Dress with Mayonaissa, the mayonaisse that is made
> with lime.
>
> Good flavor. :) I'll also often add a little sour cream to sweeten it a bit.
>
> You can also add your choice of pickled veggies, like some chopped green olives, artichoke hearts,
> maybe some asparagus...
>
> It's very easy to get creative with pasta salad.
>
> Hope this helps? :)
>
> K.

It does, thanks! :) I make pasta salad with grape tomatoes, cukes, broccoli, cheese, olives, and
whatever else suits me at the time. I am not a big cold seafood eater, so I've never made a seafood
version! Thanks kimberly

In article <smw0c.5580$506.3821@fed1read05>, "Nexis" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KatraMungBean-
> [email protected]...
> > In article <3l80c.3870$506.3614@fed1read05>, "Nexis" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > > "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KatraMungBean-
> > > [email protected]...

> discussing
> > > wanted
> time....with
> etc
> > > the
> > > gooey in
> it?
> > > Or
> through
> separately. I
> > > can
> the

> > > Sounds like something hubby would love...care to post your recipe? :)
> > >
> > > kimberly
> > >

> > Oh I don't have a set recipe, I just play as the mood strikes. ;-)
> >
> > But, here is the general idea:
> >
> > Tri-color fusili <sp?> That white, green and red twisty pasta, cooked per usual in a little
> > lightly salted water.
> >
> > Drain and chill.
> >
> > To that, add some chopped fake crab meat and/or salad shrimp, a dash of garlic powder and salt
> > free lemon pepper, and dill relish to taste. Dress with Mayonaissa, the mayonaisse that is made
> > with lime.
> >
> > Good flavor. :) I'll also often add a little sour cream to sweeten it a bit.
> >
> > You can also add your choice of pickled veggies, like some chopped green olives, artichoke
> > hearts, maybe some asparagus...
> >
> > It's very easy to get creative with pasta salad.
> >
> > Hope this helps? :)
> >
> > K.
> >

> It does, thanks! :) I make pasta salad with grape tomatoes, cukes, broccoli, cheese, olives, and
> whatever else suits me at the time. I am not a big cold seafood eater, so I've never made a
> seafood version! Thanks kimberly

You are most welcome! :) I really like the sweetness that the seafood meat adds...

Gotta be sea bugs tho', not fish. <G>

I like your vegetarian version above! I may have to try that, thanks!

K.

--

Nexis wrote:

> My husband and I were talking last night about pasta (we were discussing what to serve at my
> daughters b-day party). I was mentioning that I wanted to make something I could make ahead and
> reheat when it was time....with him, that's most pasta dishes! He really prefers spaghetti,
> shells, etc the next day, reheated. He actually likes it when the parmesan gets all gooey in the
> sauce, which makes it too thick for my tastes. So that got me wondering....do you prefer dishes
> like spaghetti the day you prepare it? Or leftovers? I used to eat leftover spaghetti for
> breakfast all through highschool, but I stored them separately and reheated them separately. I can
> do leftover lasagna, but most things I don't like them stored with the sauce.
>
> kimberly

Well, if it's a casserole (lasagna, macaroni and cheese, etc.) leftover is fine. I also eat leftover
spaghetti and other "sauced" pastas but I do as you do and store them separately. I don't like sauce
on my spaghetti until just when I'm ready to eat it. But I do like to cook the pasta ahead since
there's just me and I don't want to heat a pot of water every night to cook just one serving of
pasta. I cook it ahead and put the leftovers in a ziplock bag. Then I just heat enough pasta each
night in a ziplock bag in the microwave for one serving. Then I put the sauce over it and heat a
little longer on the plate to heat the sauce. That seems to work quite well and it tastes just like
freshly made pasta. I do the same if I have ravioli or tortellini, etc., with sauce.

Kate
--
Kate Connally “If I were as old as I feel, I’d be dead already.” Goldfish: “The wholesome snack that
smiles back, Until you bite their heads off.” What if the hokey pokey really *is* what it's all