Pasta

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by John Gaughan, Feb 28, 2004.

  1. John Gaughan

    John Gaughan Guest

    That last thread I started about pasta caused a stir... it seems that, of all horrors, people
    disagreed with me! Anyway, here is how I normally prepare pasta and my rationale for doing so.

    1. Cook pasta al dente in plenty of boiling water. Water has salt and a little olive oil added.

    2. Rinse pasta in hot water to get rid of excess starch. Normal pasta has plenty of starch, even
    after rinsing. Olive oil helps avoid sticking.

    3. Plate and add sauce. Sauce has EVOO added to replace water lost when cooking. Arguably, this
    helps bond to OO-coated pasta.

    When I did this working as a restaurant line cook, I shocked the pasta in cold water. I reheated in
    boiling water and added to sauce in a saute pan to reheat. At home I eat it right away, so I do not
    shock it, but I still want to get rid of some of the nasty yucky starch. The olive oil also helps
    avoid sticking when stored in the fridge.

    When I used whole wheat pasta, the sauce did not stick to the pasta nearly as well. I assume this is
    because it has less starch, or least less starch released into the water.

    --
    John Gaughan http://www.johngaughan.net/ [email protected]
     
    Tags:


  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    John Gaughan wrote:

    > That last thread I started about pasta caused a stir... it seems that, of all horrors, people
    > disagreed with me! Anyway, here is how I normally prepare pasta and my rationale for doing so.
    >
    > 1. Cook pasta al dente in plenty of boiling water. Water has salt and a little olive oil added.

    The general reason offered for putting oil in the water is to help the pasta not stick together.
    It's not true. Rapid boiling and occasional stirring are all that's necessary. One of my cooks
    insisted that the oil made life easier so we cooked 6 batches of spaghetti, 3 with oil and 3
    without. No difference.

    > 2. Rinse pasta in hot water to get rid of excess starch. Normal pasta has plenty of starch, even
    > after rinsing.

    Pasta essentially *is* starch. "Excess" is a value judgement. Mostly what rinsing does is cool
    the pasta and set the surface starch into a gel. It doesn't rinse off as much as intuition
    would suggest.

    > Olive oil helps avoid sticking.

    Oil added after cooking will.

    > 3. Plate and add sauce. Sauce has EVOO added to replace water lost when cooking. Arguably, this
    > helps bond to OO-coated pasta.

    Oil will only replace water in volume. No other characteristic will be available from both. If the
    sauces are water-based, as most pasta sauces are, the oil on the pasta will actually make the
    surface more slippery and less likely to accept the water-based coating.

    > When I did this working as a restaurant line cook, I shocked the pasta in cold water.

    There was no need to chill it this way. A butter glaze on it will keep it from sticking and from
    absorbing any more moisture. Drain, butter, toss and put into the walk-in to chill down. Restaurant
    pasta intended to be reheated (as it almost all is) is cooked less than it would be for home
    service. The reason is because of the reheating process that will add to how cooked it was to begin
    with. So slightly undercooked.

    > I reheated in boiling water and added to sauce in a saute pan to reheat.

    One of the standard restaurant techniques.

    > At home I eat it right away, so I do not shock it, but I still want to get rid of some of the
    > nasty yucky starch. The olive oil also helps avoid sticking when stored in the fridge.
    >
    > When I used whole wheat pasta, the sauce did not stick to the pasta nearly as well. I assume this
    > is because it has less starch, or least less starch released into the water.

    Partly. And partly because of that olive oil. Try it once with no oil in the cook water and butter
    (couple tablespoons after draining but not rinsing) and the sauce will coat better.

    Pastorio
     
  3. JimLane

    JimLane Guest

    Bob (this one) wrote:
    > John Gaughan wrote:
    >
    >> That last thread I started about pasta caused a stir... it seems that, of all horrors, people
    >> disagreed with me! Anyway, here is how I normally prepare pasta and my rationale for doing so.
    >>
    >> 1. Cook pasta al dente in plenty of boiling water. Water has salt and a little olive oil added.
    >
    >
    > The general reason offered for putting oil in the water is to help the pasta not stick together.
    > It's not true. Rapid boiling and occasional stirring are all that's necessary. One of my cooks
    > insisted that the oil made life easier so we cooked 6 batches of spaghetti, 3 with oil and 3
    > without. No difference.
    >
    >> 2. Rinse pasta in hot water to get rid of excess starch. Normal pasta has plenty of starch, even
    >> after rinsing.
    >
    >
    > Pasta essentially *is* starch. "Excess" is a value judgement. Mostly what rinsing does is cool the
    > pasta and set the surface starch into a gel. It doesn't rinse off as much as intuition would
    > suggest.
    >
    >> Olive oil helps avoid sticking.
    >
    >
    > Oil added after cooking will.
    >
    >> 3. Plate and add sauce. Sauce has EVOO added to replace water lost when cooking. Arguably, this
    >> helps bond to OO-coated pasta.
    >
    >
    > Oil will only replace water in volume. No other characteristic will be available from both. If the
    > sauces are water-based, as most pasta sauces are, the oil on the pasta will actually make the
    > surface more slippery and less likely to accept the water-based coating.
    >
    >> When I did this working as a restaurant line cook, I shocked the pasta in cold water.
    >
    >
    > There was no need to chill it this way. A butter glaze on it will keep it from sticking and from
    > absorbing any more moisture. Drain, butter, toss and put into the walk-in to chill down.
    > Restaurant pasta intended to be reheated (as it almost all is) is cooked less than it would be for
    > home service. The reason is because of the reheating process that will add to how cooked it was to
    > begin with. So slightly undercooked.
    >
    >> I reheated in boiling water and added to sauce in a saute pan to reheat.
    >
    >
    > One of the standard restaurant techniques.
    >
    >> At home I eat it right away, so I do not shock it, but I still want to get rid of some of the
    >> nasty yucky starch. The olive oil also helps avoid sticking when stored in the fridge.
    >>
    >> When I used whole wheat pasta, the sauce did not stick to the pasta nearly as well. I assume this
    >> is because it has less starch, or least less starch released into the water.
    >
    >
    > Partly. And partly because of that olive oil. Try it once with no oil in the cook water and butter
    > (couple tablespoons after draining but not rinsing) and the sauce will coat better.
    >
    > Pastorio
    >

    I always heard that the oil was to prevent sticking when the pasta gets cold, not when it is hot.
    Perhaps I got that wrong. did you refrigerate any of the batches and then compare?

    jim
     
  4. Cristina

    Cristina Guest

    John Gaughan wrote:
    > That last thread I started about pasta caused a stir... it seems that, of all horrors, people
    > disagreed with me! Anyway, here is how I normally prepare pasta and my rationale for doing so.
    >
    > 1. Cook pasta al dente in plenty of boiling water. Water has salt and a little olive oil added.

    No oil needed as it does nothing for the pasta.
    >
    > 2. Rinse pasta in hot water to get rid of excess starch. Normal pasta has plenty of starch, even
    > after rinsing. Olive oil helps avoid sticking.

    Won't stick if you use enough water and you cook it to al dente
    >
    > 3. Plate and add sauce. Sauce has EVOO added to replace water lost when cooking. Arguably, this
    > helps bond to OO-coated pasta.

    HUH? Don't get this at all.

    John, I think that you should do whatever works for you. If you want to make pasta the way you do
    then fine, if you want to do it like Italians (real Italians in Italy) then follow my way of doing
    it. BTW, If your pasta is starchy you are over cooking it.

    Cristina
    --
    Info on Moving to Italy and Driving in Italy http://www.cristinasweb.com
     
  5. "cristina" <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE SENDING)@libero.it> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > John, I think that you should do whatever works for you. If you want to make pasta the way you do
    > then fine, if you want to do it like Italians (real Italians in Italy)

    Now, now. Don't be a snob. Italians do travel and live outside Italy you know. I have Italian
    friends living in the U.S. and in the U.K. Yes! Real Italians! Italians do not need to be in Italy
    to be real.

    Other than that I agree with your post.

    Charlie

    > then follow my way of doing it. BTW, If your pasta is starchy you are over cooking it.
    >
    > Cristina
     
  6. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:56:46 -0600, John Gaughan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >That last thread I started about pasta caused a stir... it seems that, of all horrors, people
    >disagreed with me! Anyway, here is how I normally prepare pasta and my rationale for doing so.
    >
    >1. Cook pasta al dente in plenty of boiling water. Water has salt and a little olive oil added.
    >
    >2. Rinse pasta in hot water to get rid of excess starch. Normal pasta has plenty of starch, even
    > after rinsing.

    Not "normal" pasta. Lousy pasta has plenty of starch. Sit down John and listen to us. Get someone to
    shake yourself by the shoulders if necessary for the message to sink in!

    If you have excess starch in the water, you either have:
    - lousy quality pasta
    - not enough water
    - cooked too long (although probably not in your case as you say you cook it al dente)

    >3. Plate and add sauce. Sauce has EVOO added to replace water lost when cooking. Arguably, this
    > helps bond to OO-coated pasta.

    Probably does more for the flavor :>

    >When I did this working as a restaurant line cook, I shocked the pasta in cold water. I reheated in
    >boiling water and added to sauce in a saute pan to reheat. At home I eat it right away, so I do not
    >shock it, but I still want to get rid of some of the nasty yucky starch. The olive oil also helps
    >avoid sticking when stored in the fridge.

    John, John, John... good pasta does not have yucky starch. Whatever is there is part of the pasta.
    Sauce without oil will prevent sticking, but some sticking is inevitable. But don't get so hung up
    on whether it sticks when cold. It should loosen up when warmed.

    Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
     
  7. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:06:31 GMT, "Charles Gifford"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"cristina" <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE SENDING)@libero.it> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >berlin.de...
    >>
    >> John, I think that you should do whatever works for you. If you want to make pasta the way you do
    >> then fine, if you want to do it like Italians (real Italians in Italy)
    >
    >Now, now. Don't be a snob. Italians do travel and live outside Italy you know. I have Italian
    >friends living in the U.S. and in the U.K. Yes! Real Italians! Italians do not need to be in Italy
    >to be real.

    She seems rather testy this morning, over there in real Italy ;>

    Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it myself!
     
  8. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:

    > On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:06:31 GMT, "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >"cristina" <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE SENDING)@libero.it> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >berlin.de...
    > >>
    > >> John, I think that you should do whatever works for you. If you want to make pasta the way you
    > >> do then fine, if you want to do it like Italians (real Italians in Italy)
    > >
    > >Now, now. Don't be a snob. Italians do travel and live outside Italy you know. I have Italian
    > >friends living in the U.S. and in the U.K. Yes! Real Italians! Italians do not need to be in
    > >Italy to be real.
    >
    > She seems rather testy this morning, over there in real Italy ;>
    >
    > Sue(tm)

    She's just a pasta perfectionist... <grins> Wonder if she knows tho' that noodles did not
    originate in Italy?

    http://www.professionalpasta.it/dir_9/1_whoinv.htm

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra
     
  9. In article <[email protected]>, "cristina"
    <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE SENDING)@libero.it> wrote:

    > John Gaughan wrote:
    > > 1. Cook pasta al dente in plenty of boiling water. Water has salt and a little olive oil added.
    >
    > No oil needed as it does nothing for the pasta. Cristina

    It's not for the pasta, Cristina; it's to lessen the chance of boilover.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
     
  10. Cristina

    Cristina Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, "cristina" <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE
    > SENDING)@libero.it> wrote:
    >
    >> John Gaughan wrote:
    >>> 1. Cook pasta al dente in plenty of boiling water. Water has salt and a little olive oil added.
    >>
    >> No oil needed as it does nothing for the pasta. Cristina
    >
    > It's not for the pasta, Cristina; it's to lessen the chance of boilover.

    Yep but if you use a big enough pot you won't have boilover.

    Hey Barb, I now am making your brownies for my children's school on a weekly basis for birthday
    parties. I have also had to give the recipe (translated) to all of the teachers at the school. 120
    brownies get woofed down faster than you can say Tanti Auguri (Happy Birthday). Thanks again for
    giving up the recipe.

    Cristina
    --
    Info on Moving to Italy and Driving in Italy http://www.cristinasweb.com
     
  11. Cristina

    Cristina Guest

    Katra wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:06:31 GMT, "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>
    >>> "cristina" <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE SENDING)@libero.it> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >>> berlin.de...
    >>>>
    >>>> John, I think that you should do whatever works for you. If you want to make pasta the way you
    >>>> do then fine, if you want to do it like Italians (real Italians in Italy)
    >>>
    >>> Now, now. Don't be a snob. Italians do travel and live outside Italy you know. I have Italian
    >>> friends living in the U.S. and in the U.K. Yes! Real Italians! Italians do not need to be in
    >>> Italy to be real.
    >>
    >> She seems rather testy this morning, over there in real Italy ;>
    >>
    >> Sue(tm)
    >
    > She's just a pasta perfectionist... <grins> Wonder if she knows tho' that noodles did not
    > originate in Italy?

    My bad, I should have said Italians who were born and raised in Italy not Italian Americans who were
    born and raised in the US as there is a difference. I am not trying to be a snob but it probably
    comes across that way and for that I am sorry. It is just that I, as an Italian American who grew up
    in the US, had IA friends who would drop a plate of plain pasta with a glob of sauce on top and say
    this is the way it is done in Italy but then since my father lived in Italy I knew that wasn't the
    case. No matter though how much I tried to show the difference they would have nothing of
    it. These are the same people who I hear walking down the streets of towns here saying that the
    Italians don't know how to cook Italian food and that they should come to New York or Chicago
    and taste what it is really like.

    Again, not to be a snob but I guess I am a pasta perfectionist <BG>

    Cristina
    --
    Info on Moving to Italy and Driving in Italy http://www.cristinasweb.com
     
  12. In article <[email protected]>, "cristina"
    <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE SENDING)@libero.it> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > > It's not for the pasta, Cristina; it's to lessen the chance of boilover.
    >
    > Yep but if you use a big enough pot you won't have boilover.
    >
    > Hey Barb, I now am making your brownies for my children's school on a weekly basis for birthday
    > parties. I have also had to give the recipe (translated) to all of the teachers at the school. 120
    > brownies get woofed down faster than you can say Tanti Auguri (Happy Birthday). Thanks again for
    > giving up the recipe.

    > Cristina

    Now that is just the cat's pajamas, Cristina!! Very cool! Would you like a few pickle hats with
    which to dazzle them, too? There are pictures of it on my webpage.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
     
  13. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "John Gaughan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > That last thread I started about pasta caused a stir... it seems that, of all horrors, people
    > disagreed with me! Anyway, here is how I normally prepare pasta and my rationale for doing so.
    >
    > 1. Cook pasta al dente in plenty of boiling water. Water has salt and a little olive oil added.
    >
    > 2. Rinse pasta in hot water to get rid of excess starch. Normal pasta has plenty of starch, even
    > after rinsing. Olive oil helps avoid sticking.
    >
    > 3. Plate and add sauce. Sauce has EVOO added to replace water lost when cooking. Arguably, this
    > helps bond to OO-coated pasta.
    >
    > When I did this working as a restaurant line cook, I shocked the pasta in cold water. I reheated
    > in boiling water and added to sauce in a saute pan to reheat. At home I eat it right away, so I do
    > not shock it, but I still want to get rid of some of the nasty yucky starch. The olive oil also
    > helps avoid sticking when stored in the fridge.
    >
    > When I used whole wheat pasta, the sauce did not stick to the pasta nearly as well. I assume this
    > is because it has less starch, or least less starch released into the water.
    >

    I you are getting so much "nasty yucky starch" you may want to try another brand of pasta. In my
    experience it is the bargain pastas that end up really starchy and sticky. I highly recommend
    deCecco, imported from Italy. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at the difference.

    Peter Aitken
     
  14. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Katra wrote:

    > She's just a pasta perfectionist... <grins> Wonder if she knows tho' that noodles did not
    > originate in Italy?

    Don't start up with that Marco Polo brought it back from China stuff. That's another conventional
    wisdom that's not wise. Been demolished by historical documentation.

    The greatest likelihood is that pasta (wheat flour and water) was "invented" independently in many
    places throughout history. Ancient Rome had a dish called "laganum" that appears to be a precursor
    to today's lasagna.

    Pastorio
     
  15. Bob

    Bob Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>, "cristina" <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE
    > SENDING)@libero.it> wrote:
    >
    >>John Gaughan wrote:
    >>
    >>>1. Cook pasta al dente in plenty of boiling water. Water has salt and a little olive oil added.
    >>
    >>No oil needed as it does nothing for the pasta. Cristina
    >
    > It's not for the pasta, Cristina; it's to lessen the chance of boilover.

    That's what the little dial thingy on the stove is for. <g>

    Enough water in a large enough pot and it won't boil over. A gallon per pound, salt and all the heat
    you can put to it. No boilover.

    The reason it might boil over is because the starch helps to make a stable foam if concentrated.
    Dilute it with enough water and no stability. No boilover.

    What time's dinner?

    Pastorio
     
  16. Ferrante

    Ferrante Guest

    On Sat, 28 Feb 2004 21:56:46 -0600, John Gaughan
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >2. Rinse pasta in hot water to get rid of excess starch. Normal pasta has plenty of starch, even
    > after rinsing. Olive oil helps avoid sticking.
    >
    John, Everything I ever seen or read says not to rinse as it removes the starch and the sauce will
    not stick to the noodles. I am a newbie cook, so you probably know more than I. Please clarify
    this for me.

    Thanks, Mark Ferrante Bachelor Cook
     
  17. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "cristina" <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE SENDING)@libero.it> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    > > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (Curly Sue)
    > > wrote:
    > >
    > >> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 10:06:31 GMT, "Charles Gifford" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >>>
    > >>> "cristina" <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE SENDING)@libero.it> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > >>> berlin.de...
    > >>>>
    > >>>> John, I think that you should do whatever works for you. If you want to make pasta the way
    > >>>> you do then fine, if you want to do it like Italians (real Italians in Italy)
    > >>>
    > >>> Now, now. Don't be a snob. Italians do travel and live outside Italy you know. I have Italian
    > >>> friends living in the U.S. and in the U.K. Yes! Real Italians! Italians do not need to be in
    > >>> Italy to be real.
    > >>
    > >> She seems rather testy this morning, over there in real Italy ;>
    > >>
    > >> Sue(tm)
    > >
    > > She's just a pasta perfectionist... <grins> Wonder if she knows tho' that noodles did not
    > > originate in Italy?
    >
    > My bad, I should have said Italians who were born and raised in Italy not Italian Americans who
    > were born and raised in the US as there is a difference. I am not trying to be a snob but it
    > probably comes across that way and for that I am sorry.

    Just messing with you hon', don't take it seriously! Your posts are quite valued....

    > It is just that I, as an Italian American who grew up in the US, had IA friends who would drop a
    > plate of plain pasta with a glob of sauce on top and say this is the way it is done in Italy but
    > then since my father lived in Italy I knew that wasn't the case. No matter though how much I tried
    > to show the difference they would have nothing of
    > it. These are the same people who I hear walking down the streets of towns here saying that the
    > Italians don't know how to cook Italian food and that they should come to New York or Chicago
    > and taste what it is really like.
    >
    > Again, not to be a snob but I guess I am a pasta perfectionist <BG>
    >
    > Cristina

    Keep on posting....... ;-) I've enjoyed them very much!

    Now if anyone has hints on how to cook rice pasta and keep it from getting sticky......

    K.

    L.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra
     
  18. Katra

    Katra Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Katra wrote:
    >
    > > She's just a pasta perfectionist... <grins> Wonder if she knows tho' that noodles did not
    > > originate in Italy?
    >
    > Don't start up with that Marco Polo brought it back from China stuff. That's another conventional
    > wisdom that's not wise. Been demolished by historical documentation.

    I googled it, that's why I did not mention Marco Polo. <G> I see that it was a myth-conception
    and it was news to me. I'm trying very hard to do a bit of searching prior to posting some
    stuff anymmore!

    Helps to keep me out of trouble. ;-D

    >
    > The greatest likelihood is that pasta (wheat flour and water) was "invented" independently in many
    > places throughout history. Ancient Rome had a dish called "laganum" that appears to be a precursor
    > to today's lasagna.
    >
    > Pastorio

    Which would indeed be Italy..... :)

    http://www.professionalpasta.it/dir_9/1_whoinv.htm

    K.

    --
    Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

    >,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<
    http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=katra
     
  19. In article <[email protected]>, "Bob (this one)"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    (snip)
    > > It's not for the pasta, Cristina; it's to lessen the chance of boilover.
    >
    > That's what the little dial thingy on the stove is for. <g>

    Yeah, yeah, yeah. (snip)
    > What time's dinner?
    >
    > Pastorio

    Dear heart, dinner was 3-1/2 hours ago: I pulled some frozen spaghetti sauce from the freezer, some
    frozen meat-a-balls from the freezer (yeah, they were homemade and pretty good), and boiled up a
    mess of angel hair. It'll be lunch for a couple days. Or supper tomorrow night, too; we're not
    fussy. I picked up a hoagy loaf at Brianno's on my way home and we had that with the spaghetti. And
    some olives from Brianno's, too. Not as good as the olives from Zabar's, but I'm here, not there.
    Dessert was two GS peanut butter sandwich cookies.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!
     
  20. "cristina" <siena_us(REMOVE BEFORE SENDING)@libero.it> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > My bad, I should have said Italians who were born and raised in Italy not Italian Americans who
    > were born and raised in the US as there is a difference.

    Actually that is what I was refering to. There are Italians (not Italian-Americans) living in the
    U.S. and other places besides Italy.

    > I am not trying to be a snob but it probably comes across that way and for that I am sorry.

    Not to worry. My use of "snob" was a little strong perhaps. It wasn't a huge sin. ;-)

    > It is just that I, as an Italian American who grew up in the US, had IA friends who would drop a
    > plate of plain pasta
    with
    > a glob of sauce on top and say this is the way it is done in Italy but
    then
    > since my father lived in Italy I knew that wasn't the case. No matter though how much I tried to
    > show the difference they would have nothing of
    > it. These are the same people who I hear walking down the streets of
    towns
    > here saying that the Italians don't know how to cook Italian food and that they should come to New
    > York or Chicago and taste what it is really like.
    >
    > Again, not to be a snob but I guess I am a pasta perfectionist <BG>

    Certainly nothing wrong with that!

    Charlie

    > Cristina
    > --
    > Info on Moving to Italy and Driving in Italy http://www.cristinasweb.com
     
Loading...