Pat McDonough

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Tritonrider, Mar 14, 2004.

  1. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    I don't follow much track racing, but was really impressed
    with the facility, and the riders down at T-Town. Seems to
    me that this is a good thing for our track program.
    Edumacate me. Bill C

    Tags:

  2. Andy Coggan

    Andy Coggan Guest

    > I don't follow much track racing, but was really impressed
    > with the
    facility,
    > and the riders down at T-Town. Seems to me that this is a
    > good thing for
    our
    > track program. Edumacate me.

    The people who train and race at T-town seem to think that
    McDonough is a good choice (although of course having
    practically *anybody* at USAC focussed on track cycling
    would have to be good for that branch of the sport...it's
    been almost completely ignored for many years now). A
    different question to contemplate, though, is what does this
    mean for T-town? First a new indoor track is going to open
    on the west coast, and now your long-time director is moving
    on...will T-town remain an international draw, or will it
    simply become just another US track (albeit a very well run
    one with excellent facilities at that)? Hopefully the powers-that-
    be at T-town are already asking themselves this question.

    Andy Coggan

  3. Warren

    Warren Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Andy Coggan <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > m23.aol.com...
    > > I don't follow much track racing, but was really
    > > impressed with the
    > facility,
    > > and the riders down at T-Town. Seems to me that this is
    > > a good thing for
    > our
    > > track program. Edumacate me.
    >
    > The people who train and race at T-town seem to think that
    > McDonough is a good choice (although of course having
    > practically *anybody* at USAC focussed on track cycling
    > would have to be good for that branch of the sport...it's
    > been almost completely ignored for many years now). A
    > different question to contemplate, though, is what does
    > this mean for T-town? First a new indoor track is going to
    > open on the west coast, and now your long-time director is
    > moving on...will T-town remain an international draw, or
    > will it simply become just another US track (albeit a very
    > well run one with excellent facilities at that)? Hopefully
    > the powers-that-be at T-town are already asking themselves
    > this question.

    Pat's done a great job but the factor(s) that are more
    important than him are the community and corporate support
    for T-town's programs and T-town's methods of encouraging
    that support. I doubt those will change.

    There have been discussions for years about the value of
    having a track on the West Coast for training when the
    weather is not so good in Eastern PA. I think the riders
    will still want to spend significant time near T-town as
    opposed to the LA area. Some of the factors that help T-town
    be successful probably won't happen in LA-at least not for
    several years or more.

    -WG

  4. Bob Schwartz

    Bob Schwartz Guest

    warren <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Pat's done a great job but the factor(s) that are more
    > important than him are the community and corporate support
    > for T-town's programs and T-town's methods of encouraging
    > that support. I doubt those will change.

    I see him as having two big challenges:

    - The perception that you can dedicate yourself to the
    track, succeed, and still get screwed. Which really hurts
    recruitment.

    - Recruiting sponsor support. Track has never really
    recovered from the loss of EDS as a sugar daddy. The USOC
    pays money for medals so whatever support they get there
    is probably a remnant of Marty's medals in Sydney. Last
    year's Worlds were a disaster so you would have to be
    pretty optimistic so see any progress there.

    So I hope he brings some $$$ connections with him.

    Bob Schwartz [email protected]

  5. Bill Laudien

    Bill Laudien Guest

    Everything therer will continue to go well, once they call
    me and ask me to run the thing...more later, I have to go
    sit by the phone and wait for the call.

    And in reply to the challenges facing track, they far
    exceed money or attention from the fed. The two main
    obstacles are the number of tracks that exist ( or lack
    thereof) and the fact that the fact that success on the
    track requires great specialization. For the most part, if
    you didn't learn how to race on hte track as a kid, you
    ain't going to be able to succeed at it as an adult. The
    pursuit might be one exception to that and they're doing
    awaay with that soon enough.