Patch Kits for Small Road Bike Tubes

stevecoh1

Dec 12, 2004
Does anyone make a patch kit with small patches? What I have found is that if the patch is too wide, it's much harder to get a good seal. I apply the patch to an uninflated tube. If the width of the patch is wider than half the circumference of the tube (i.e. the width of the tube flattened) the patch is less likely to hold.

Yes, I do let the rubber cement dry before applying the patch.

In my most recent patch job, I actually cut away about a mm of the orange portion on each side of the patch. This seems to have worked out fine. But it would be much nicer to have the patches made this size to begin with. I have never seen one sold this way. The patch kits are generally all the same no matter who manufactures. They're fine for fat and even middle of the road tires, but not so good for 700x25 and smaller.

Anyone know of a source for this type of patch?

stevecoh1 said:
Does anyone make a patch kit with small patches? What I have found is that if the patch is too wide, it's much harder to get a good seal. I apply the patch to an uninflated tube. If the width of the patch is wider than half the circumference of the tube (i.e. the width of the tube flattened) the patch is less likely to hold.

In my most recent patch job, I actually cut away about a mm of the orange portion on each side of the patch. This seems to have worked out fine. But it would be much nicer to have the patches made this size to begin with. I have never seen one sold this way. The patch kits are generally all the same no matter who manufactures. They're fine for fat and even middle of the road tires, but not so good for 700x25 and smaller.

Just before applying the patch I always enflate the tube to about the size it will be in tire or a little more. This recuces the stress on the patch. You do not need smaller patches.

stevecoh1 said:

I have been trimming patches for years. While it may look a bit unaesthetic to have a cut edge on the patch, it is, of course, not visible once the tube is installed and they work just as well.

I got some in a weldtite puncture repair kit that were small enough for narrow tubes.

Feather edge ones seem to be best

shannons dad said:
I've been using these on 23's for years and they've never let me down.

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=11157
Found lots of links to these (after your post, thanks very much) but alas, none of them appear to be from my side of the Atlantic. And I imagine shipping on such an item would be prohibitive. Also the Weldtites recommended by another poster also seem to be a UK thing only as well.

Why cant we Americans be as smart as the Brits about this kind of thing?

Finally I found the Rema TipTop Sport Bike tire repair kit with some American dealers, and competitively priced too. At least their advertising seems to be directed at me and my concerns, will give them a try.

I think the pre-glued patches are great. They work well on road tubes, are small enough to keep in your wallet, and are quick and easy.

spacelord said:
I think the pre-glued patches are great. They work well on road tubes, are small enough to keep in your wallet, and are quick and easy.
Haven't tried those yet. Most folks I talk to, including a couple of bike-shop mechanics don't trust them, but I suppose I should give them a try too.

stevecoh1 said:
Haven't tried those yet. Most folks I talk to, including a couple of bike-shop mechanics don't trust them, but I suppose I should give them a try too.
I've never used them on any road bikes I had, but they worked OK for mega emergencies on a mountain bike. They lasted about half an hour, long enough to get me home. With the high pressure roadie tyres need, I wouldn't touch'em with a barge pole. Just my personal opinion of course.:)

stevecoh1 said:
I too have found the pre-glued patches to be less reliable than the Rema TipTop. Quick yes, but if you are bothering to patch at the roadside, what is a couple of extra minutes. In general, I carry a spare tube to switch on the road, and do the patching at home when time is not an issue.

John M said:
I too have found the pre-glued patches to be less reliable than the Rema TipTop. Quick yes, but if you are bothering to patch at the roadside, what is a couple of extra minutes. In general, I carry a spare tube to switch on the road, and do the patching at home when time is not an issue.
I also like to carry a spare tube. But you never know. I had two flats recently on a single ride (ouch). And in general, with my increased riding of late, I must be averaging between one and two flats a month. Just throwing the tubes out begins to look like real money. When I've done that it's often from exasperation at the poor patches I have available.

stevecoh1 said:
If you are going to use these I highly recommend getting some alcohol wipes from your local pharmacy. They are cheap (a couple of bucks for 100 and they are all individually packaged). By wiping down the punctured area with alcohol you will greatly increase the likelihood that the patch will not fail. I would also recommend these for regular glue patches as well. Clean with alcohol and rough up first.

stevecoh1 said:
I also like to carry a spare tube. But you never know. I had two flats recently on a single ride (ouch). And in general, with my increased riding of late, I must be averaging between one and two flats a month. Just throwing the tubes out begins to look like real money. When I've done that it's often from exasperation at the poor patches I have available.

You need to worry about better tires then tubes and patching.

shokhead said:
You need to worry about better tires then tubes and patching.
What would you suggest? The tires I use have a kevlar belt. They're not the ultra-skinny race tires, but still, they're road tires. I keep them inflated to the proper pressure. When I do have a flat, I always check the tire for the sharp edges that might be lodged there. But I still get flats.

There's just a lot of glass on the road. You can't always avoid it. I don't know what else to do.

stevecoh1 said:
What would you suggest? The tires I use have a kevlar belt. They're not the ultra-skinny race tires, but still, they're road tires. I keep them inflated to the proper pressure. When I do have a flat, I always check the tire for the sharp edges that might be lodged there. But I still get flats.

There's just a lot of glass on the road. You can't always avoid it. I don't know what else to do.

I've used conti's 4 season 23's and with the one's i've used for almost 8000 miles{not the same tire lol},i've had i think 2 flats,maybe only 1 and i'm going through lots of glass,stickers,basic road trash **** and i run around 95-100psi.

shokhead said:
I've used conti's 4 season 23's and with the one's i've used for almost 8000 miles{not the same tire lol},i've had i think 2 flats,maybe only 1 and i'm going through lots of glass,stickers,basic road trash **** and i run around 95-100psi.
I don't know that I've used that particular tire but I've used tires in a similar size, kevlar belt and price range. Hasn't helped me. I do inflate a little more than you
(more like 110) but that it supposed to help, not hurt.

What's left, bad luck?

stevecoh1 said:
I don't know that I've used that particular tire but I've used tires in a similar size, kevlar belt and price range. Hasn't helped me. I do inflate a little more than you
(more like 110) but that it supposed to help, not hurt.

What's left, bad luck?

430 tpi. Thats a lot of protection.