Patched the inside of a tire

Ken

Guest
Using Michelin Pro Race tires while riding got a 1cm cut
right in the middle of the tread. The cut went clean through
to the tube. When I got home I tried using some super glue
to plug the cut. With the cut plugged went out riding again.
During this ride I developed a slow leak eminating from
where the cut in the tire is. Needless to say the super glue
plug didn't hold. Loathing to ditch this tire as it doesn't
yet have 1000k on it, I proceed to patch the cut with an
inner tube patch. It seems like it's going to work but was
wondering if anyone else has had any experience doing this.

> patch. It seems like it's going to work but was wondering
> if anyone else has had any experience doing this.

You don't feel any bumps at each revolution?

Phil

I have sucessfully patched up a Conti tyre, but that was
through the sidewall.

I just used an larger sized tube patch, reinforced
with duct tape

Paul

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Using Michelin Pro Race tires while riding got a 1cm cut
> right in the middle of the tread. The cut went clean
> through to the tube. When I got home I tried using some
> super glue to plug the cut. With the cut plugged went out
> riding again. During this ride I developed a slow leak
> eminating from where the cut in the tire is. Needless to
> say the super glue plug didn't hold. Loathing to ditch
> this tire as it doesn't yet have 1000k on it, I proceed to
> patch the cut with an inner tube patch. It seems like it's
> going to work but was wondering if anyone else has had any
> experience doing this.

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Using Michelin Pro Race tires while riding got a 1cm cut
> right in the middle of the tread. The cut went clean
> through to the tube. When I got home I tried using some
> super glue to plug the cut. With the cut plugged went out
> riding again. During this ride I developed a slow leak
> eminating from where the cut in the tire is. Needless to
> say the super glue plug didn't hold. Loathing to ditch
> this tire as it doesn't yet have 1000k on it, I proceed to
> patch the cut with an inner tube patch. It seems like it's
> going to work but was wondering if anyone else has had any
> experience doing this.

I have had a similar problem and was thinking of using the
patched tyre on the fluid trainer which will slowly wear the
tread down rather than just throw the tyre. I would not race
or train on it as my training involves fast descents.

Kevin

Phil, back at home wrote:
>>patch. It seems like it's going to work but was wondering
>>if anyone else has had any experience doing this.
>

> You don't feel any bumps at each revolution?
>
> Phil

Haven't ridden it yet. But if the bumps are too noticeable
then I guess I'll just have to chuck it or just use it as a
last resort spare on those long far away from the nearest
LBS rides.

Kenny Lee

Phil, back at home wrote:
>>patch. It seems like it's going to work but was wondering
>>if anyone else has had any experience doing this.
>

> You don't feel any bumps at each revolution?
>
> Phil

Haven't ridden it yet. But if the bumps are too noticeable
then I guess I'll just have to chuck it or just use it as a
last resort spare on those long far away from the nearest
LBS rides.

Kenny Lee

[email protected] (Ken) wrote in
news:[email protected]:
> Using Michelin Pro Race tires while riding got a 1cm cut
> right in the middle of the tread. The cut went clean
> through to the tube.

Some patch kits include a "boot" patch that is intended to
repair tires. It is thicker and larger than tire patches and
usually a different color (e.g., green instead of orange).
Many people consider boots to be temporary; just to get you
home. Sometimes they last a long time. Failure can be very
unpleasant, especially on the front tire. Personally, I
would replace a tire with a 1cm cut in the casing.

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:37:48 +0000, Ken <[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] (Ken) wrote in
>news:[email protected]:
>> Using Michelin Pro Race tires while riding got a 1cm cut
>> right in the middle of the tread. The cut went clean
>> through to the tube.
>
>Some patch kits include a "boot" patch that is intended
>to repair tires. It is thicker and larger than tire
>patches and usually a different color (e.g., green
>instead of orange). Many people consider boots to be
>temporary; just to get you home. Sometimes they last a
>long time. Failure can be very unpleasant, especially on
>the front tire. Personally, I would replace a tire with a
>1cm cut in the casing.

There was a time you could buy casing patches from Third
Hand/Loose Screws. These were large (about 1" diameter)
fabric reinforced patches. I patched a number of older
Michelin tires with these and rode them for many, many
miles. These disappeared from their catalog many years ago,
and a quick check of their web site didn't find any.

Does anyone know if these are still available anywhere?

On a whim I just went down to the garage and checked, and
sure enough; I still have a patched Hi-Lite Supercomp. The
patch is actually 1.25" in diameter and is black with a thin
blue border.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

[email protected] (Ken) writes:

> Using Michelin Pro Race tires while riding got a 1cm cut
> right in the middle of the tread. The cut went clean
> through to the tube. When I got home I tried using some
> super glue to plug the cut. With the cut plugged went out
> riding again. During this ride I developed a slow leak
> eminating from where the cut in the tire
> is. Needless to say the super glue plug didn't hold.
> Loathing to ditch this tire as it doesn't yet have
> 1000k on it, I proceed to patch the cut with an inner
> tube patch. It seems like it's going to work but was
> wondering if anyone else has had any experience doing
> this.

There are instructions in the FAQ for applying a boot to
tires with damaged casings.

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:30:20 GMT, John Everett
<[email protected]> wrote:
>There was a time you could buy casing patches from Third
>Hand/Loose Screws. These were large (about 1" diameter)
>fabric reinforced patches. I patched a number of older
>Michelin tires with these and rode them for many, many
>miles. These disappeared from their catalog many years ago,
>and a quick check of their web site didn't find any.
>
>Does anyone know if these are still available anywhere?

Auto Zone. I bought this there: http://www.brandnametools.b-
iz/automotive/r/Repair_Kits/_1419457.htm

It's got some really thick, tough patches, intended
AFAIK for patching tubeless radial automotive tires from
the inside. Note that it's illegal in some/many/all
places to do so, and I bought it specifically for
bicycle tire boot purposes.

I promptly lost it, of course...
--
Rick Onanian

Kenny Lee wrote:
> Phil, back at home wrote:
>
>>> patch. It seems like it's going to work but was
>>> wondering if anyone else has had any experience
>>> doing this.
>>

>> You don't feel any bumps at each revolution?
>>
>> Phil
>>

> Haven't ridden it yet. But if the bumps are too noticeable
> then I guess I'll just have to chuck it or just use it as
> a last resort spare on those long far away from the
> nearest LBS rides.
>
> Kenny Lee

Went out for a ride. No lumps or bumps that I can detect.
Will keep riding it and see what kind of mileage I get.

Kenny Lee

Ken wrote:
> Using Michelin Pro Race tires while riding got a 1cm cut
> right in the middle of the tread. The cut went clean
> through to the tube. When I got home I tried using some
> super glue to plug the cut. With the cut plugged went out
> riding again. During this ride I developed a slow leak
> eminating from where the cut in the tire is. Needless to
> say the super glue plug didn't hold. Loathing to ditch
> this tire as it doesn't yet have 1000k on it, I proceed to
> patch the cut with an inner tube patch. It seems like it's
> going to work but was wondering if anyone else has had any
> experience doing this.

If the Pro Race has the woven casing like other
Michelins, try stitching the slit shut with dental floss
(from the inside).

Try to get your stitches to penetrate the casing but not the
tread (a bit tricky). Make the stitches wide enough that
they don't pull out of fraying casing. When done, clean the
outside of the cut well with soap and water, then super glue
shut. Put a garden-variety patch over the inside to keep the
stitches from chafing the inner tube.

I've gotten LOTS of miles out of badly cut Michelins this
way. In some cases, you have to know the cut is there or you
wouldn't notice. In other cases, you get a mild bulge (not
enough to feel while riding).

Mark Janeba

John Everett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:37:48 +0000, Ken <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >[email protected] (Ken) wrote in
> >news:[email protected]:
> >> Using Michelin Pro Race tires while riding got a 1cm
> >> cut right in the middle of the tread. The cut went
> >> clean through to the tube.
> >
> >Some patch kits include a "boot" patch that is intended
> >to repair tires. It is thicker and larger than tire
> >patches and usually a different color (e.g., green
> >instead of orange). Many people consider boots to be
> >temporary; just to get you home. Sometimes they last a
> >long time. Failure can be very unpleasant, especially on
> >the front tire. Personally, I would replace a tire with a
> >1cm cut in the casing.
>
> There was a time you could buy casing patches from Third
> Hand/Loose Screws. These were large (about 1" diameter)
> fabric reinforced patches. I patched a number of older
> Michelin tires with these and rode them for many, many
> miles. These disappeared from their catalog many years
> ago, and a quick check of their web site didn't find any.
>
> Does anyone know if these are still available anywhere?
>
> On a whim I just went down to the garage and checked, and
> sure enough; I still have a patched Hi-Lite Supercomp. The
> patch is actually 1.25" in diameter and is black with a
> thin blue border.
>

> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
> http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Dear John,

Perhaps you're thinking of Park Tire Boots, which Loose
Screws no longer offers, as far as I can see. They're sold
by BikeToolsEtc--just search for "boot":

http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi

They may also be available from Peter Chisholm, Andrew Muzi,
Sheldon Brown, John Dacey, and other worthy dealers on
rec.bicycles.tech.

I'm pretty sure that one is lurking in my seat bag, probably
under the rolled-up Kevlar bead tire.

Carl Fogel

be

http://www.loosescrews.com/

John Everett <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 15:37:48 +0000, Ken <[email protected]>
> wrote:

> >Some patch kits include a "boot" patch that is intended
> >to repair tires. It is thicker and larger than tire
> >patches and usually a different color (e.g., green
> >instead of orange). Many people consider boots to be
> >temporary; just to get you home. Sometimes they last a
> >long time. Failure can be very unpleasant, especially on
> >the front tire. Personally, I would replace a tire with a
> >1cm cut in the casing.

> There was a time you could buy casing patches from Third
> Hand/Loose Screws. These were large (about 1" diameter)
> fabric reinforced patches. ...

Tyvek fabric, from mailing envelopes, works. An energy bar
wrapper will work for onroad repair (I just carry some Tyvek
with my patch kit). Agree that tires with large cuts should
be replaced or relegated to non-critical use.

Do your users want the best web-email gateway? Don't let
your customers drift off to free webmail services install
your own web gateway! -- See
http://netwinsite.com/sponsor/sponsor_webmail.htm ----

On 9 Mar 2004 22:18:14 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel)
wrote:

>John Everett <[email protected]>
>wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>>
>> There was a time you could buy casing patches from Third
>> Hand/Loose Screws. These were large (about 1" diameter)
>> fabric reinforced patches. I patched a number of older
>> Michelin tires with these and rode them for many, many
>> miles. These disappeared from their catalog many years
>> ago, and a quick check of their web site didn't find any.
>>
>> Does anyone know if these are still available anywhere?
>>
>Dear John,
>
>Perhaps you're thinking of Park Tire Boots, which Loose
>Screws no longer offers, as far as I can see. They're sold
>by BikeToolsEtc--just search for "boot":
>
>http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi

Nope, just checked and these are the wrong size and are self-
adhesive. The ones I used to use were applied just like a
tube patch.

>They may also be available from Peter Chisholm, Andrew
>Muzi, Sheldon Brown, John Dacey, and other worthy dealers
>on rec.bicycles.tech.

Let's hope!

"Mark Janeba" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Ken wrote:
> > Using Michelin Pro Race tires while riding got a 1cm
> > cut right in the middle of the tread. The cut went
> > clean through to the tube. When I got home I tried
> > using some super glue to plug the cut. With the cut
> > plugged went out riding again. During this ride I
> > developed a slow leak eminating from where the cut in
> > the tire is. Needless to say the super glue plug didn't
> > hold. Loathing to ditch this tire as it doesn't yet
> > have 1000k on it, I proceed to patch the cut with an
> > inner tube patch. It seems like it's going to work but
> > was wondering if anyone else has had any experience
> > doing this.
>
> If the Pro Race has the woven casing like other Michelins,
> try stitching the slit shut with dental floss (from the
> inside).
>
> Try to get your stitches to penetrate the casing but not
> the tread (a bit tricky). Make the stitches wide enough
> that they don't pull out of fraying casing. When done,
> clean the outside of the cut well with soap and water,
> then super glue shut. Put a garden-variety patch over the
> inside to keep the stitches from chafing the inner tube.
>
> I've gotten LOTS of miles out of badly cut Michelins this
> way. In some cases, you have to know the cut is there or
> you wouldn't notice. In other cases, you get a mild bulge
> (not enough to feel while riding).
>
> Mark Janeba

I back that up with a section of velox tape. On smaller cuts
a strip of velox makes a boot that lasts until the tire
wears out. Use on rear tire only. Front tires are no place
to get creative. Bill Brannon

I have found that a product called "Shoe-Goo" works pretty
good for cuts in tires: http://www.shoegoo.co.jp/en/ -tom

"> >
> > Mark Janeba
> >
> I back that up with a section of velox tape. On smaller
> cuts a strip of velox makes a boot that lasts until the
> tire wears out. Use on rear tire only. Front tires are no
> place to get creative. Bill Brannon

The correct link to "Shoe-Goo"
http://www.shoegoo.co.jp/lineup.html -tom

news:[email protected]...

Ken W? writes:

> Using Michelin Pro Race tires while riding got a 1cm cut
> right in the middle of the tread. The cut went clean
> through to the tube. When I got home I tried using some
> super glue to plug the cut. With the cut plugged went out
> riding again. During this ride I developed a slow leak
> emanating from where the cut in the tire is. Needless to
> say the super glue plug didn't hold. Loathing to ditch
> this tire as it doesn't yet have 1000k on it, I proceed to
> patch the cut with an inner tube patch. It seems like it's
> going to work but was wondering if anyone else has had any
> experience doing this.

With a casing cut, even if it isn't large enough to let the
tube burst out, will nibble at the tube at the cut and
cause a leak. Such a cut as you describe needs structural
help and that requires a fabric inlay commonly known as a
boot. These used to be offered for car tires tubeless tires
were not yet invented. The feature of a boot is that it
must flex with the casing and have enough strength to not
slip out of place.

The following item from the FAQ explains how to do this for
a tubular tire (one with the tube sewn into the hose-like
casing) but the method is the same. I carry a rectangular
piece of thin tire casing for that purpose. Because I don't
consider this a long term repair for a clincher, I don't
glue it in and finish the ride.
----------

Casing Repair

Repairing tubular tires requires latex emulsion. You can get
it from carpet layers, who usually have it in bulk. You must
have a container and beg for a serving. If you are repairing
a tubular you probably ride them, and therefore, will have
dead ones lying around. The best tubulars generally furnish
the best repair material.

Most cuts of more than a few cords, like a glass cut,
require a structural boot. With thin latex tubes, uncovered
casing cuts will soon nibble through the tube and cause
another flat. For boot material, pull the tread off a silk
sprint tire, unstitch it and cut off the bead at the edge of
the fold. Now you have a long ribbon of fine boot material.
Cut off a 10cm long piece and trim it to a width that just
fits inside the casing of the tire to be booted from inside
edge of the bead (the folded part) to the other edge.

The boot must be trimmed using a razor blade to a thin
feathered edge so that the tube is not exposed to a step at
the boot's edge, otherwise this will wear pinholes in a thin
latex tube. Apply latex to the cleaner side of the boot and
the area inside the tire, preferably so the boot cords are
90 degrees from the facing tire cords.

Insert the boot and press it into place, preferably in the
natural curve of the tire. This makes the the boot the
principal structural support when the tire is again
inflated, after the boot cures. If the casing is flat when
the boot is glued, it will stretch the casing more than the
boot upon inflation. After the boot dries, and this goes
rapidly, sew the tire.
----------

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

John Everett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 9 Mar 2004 22:18:14 -0800, [email protected] (Carl
> Fogel) wrote:
>
> >John Everett <[email protected]>
> >wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...
> >>
> >> There was a time you could buy casing patches from
> >> Third Hand/Loose Screws. These were large (about 1"
> >> diameter) fabric reinforced patches. I patched a number
> >> of older Michelin tires with these and rode them for
> >> many, many miles. These disappeared from their catalog
> >> many years ago, and a quick check of their web site
> >> didn't find any.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know if these are still available anywhere?
> >>
> >Dear John,
> >
> >Perhaps you're thinking of Park Tire Boots, which Loose
> >Screws no longer offers, as far as I can see. They're
> >sold by BikeToolsEtc--just search for "boot":
> >
> >http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi
>
> Nope, just checked and these are the wrong size and are
> self-adhesive. The ones I used to use were applied just
> like a tube patch.
>
> >They may also be available from Peter Chisholm, Andrew
> >Muzi, Sheldon Brown, John Dacey, and other worthy dealers
> >on rec.bicycles.tech.
>
> Let's hope!
>

> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
> http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Dear John,

Hmmm . . . I'm baffled. I checked my 2000-2001 Third Hand
catalogue (the last) and found nothing else that sounds like
a tire boot except the Park Tire Boot.

There is, however, the Rema feather edge patch, sold 100 in
a box, and described as a 1" round patch versus the tire
boot's 1.5" x 3" oblong. But this is just a tube patch and
probably not what you have in mind.

Maybe they'd stopped selling what you're after?

Sorry,

Carl Fogel