Patched the inside of a tire

Carl Fogel writes:

> Hmmm... I'm baffled. I checked my 2000-2001 Third Hand
> catalogue (the last) and found nothing else that sounds
> like a tire boot except the Park Tire Boot.

> There is, however, the Rema feather edge patch, sold 100
> in a box, and described as a 1" round patch versus the
> tire boot's 1.5" x 3" oblong. But this is just a tube
> patch and probably not what you have in mind.

That's the standard Rema tire patch that has no
structural fiber in
it. This thing requires a boot and not an emergency boot
either. Those things are supposed to get you home and
you throw the tire away. To get some mileage from a
slashed tire, you need a structural fabric boot, one
that has bias plies that match the tire so it wont be a
hard spot or for that matter, break up in use.

> Maybe they'd stopped selling what you're after?

You make your own boots. I always carry one or more just in
case and sometimes lose them to people on the road who have
neither patches nor boots.

Jobst Brandt [email protected]

On 10 Mar 2004 20:00:52 -0800, [email protected] (Carl Fogel)
wrote:

>John Everett <[email protected]>
>wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>> On 9 Mar 2004 22:18:14 -0800, [email protected] (Carl
>> Fogel) wrote:
>>
>> >John Everett <[email protected]>
>> >wrote in message
>> >news:<[email protected]>...

>> >Dear John,
>> >
>> >Perhaps you're thinking of Park Tire Boots, which Loose
>> >Screws no longer offers, as far as I can see. They're
>> >sold by BikeToolsEtc--just search for "boot":
>> >
>> >http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi
>>
>> Nope, just checked and these are the wrong size and are
>> self-adhesive. The ones I used to use were applied just
>> like a tube patch.
>>
>> >They may also be available from Peter Chisholm, Andrew
>> >Muzi, Sheldon Brown, John Dacey, and other worthy
>> >dealers on rec.bicycles.tech.
>>
>> Let's hope!
>>

>> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
>> http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
>
>Dear John,
>
>Hmmm . . . I'm baffled. I checked my 2000-2001 Third Hand
>catalogue (the last) and found nothing else that sounds
>like a tire boot except the Park Tire Boot.

Third Hand - Winter 1996-97 Catalog, page 71:

"TIRE BOOT PATCHES Unlike thin tube patches, these tough
boot patches are glued on the inside wall of a cut tire to
protect the tube and keep it from blowing out. Set of six
30mm round patches.

Item #RE-6159 $5.25"

>There is, however, the Rema feather edge patch, sold 100 in
>a box, and described as a 1" round patch versus the tire
>boot's 1.5" x 3" oblong. But this is just a tube patch and
>probably not what you have in mind.

Yep, Item #RE-22 in the same catalog.

>Maybe they'd stopped selling what you're after?

That's what I said in the above attribution.

BTW, the "RE" in the item number implies this is a Rema
product. If they're still making them they might still be
available from QBP.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

John Everett <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> On 10 Mar 2004 20:00:52 -0800, [email protected] (Carl
> Fogel) wrote:
>
> >John Everett <[email protected]>
> >wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...

> >> Nope, just checked and these are the wrong size and are
> >> self-adhesive. The ones I used to use were applied just
> >> like a tube patch.

> >> Let's hope!
> >>

> >> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
> >> http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3
> >
> >Dear John,
> >
> >Hmmm . . . I'm baffled. I checked my 2000-2001 Third Hand
> >catalogue (the last) and found nothing else that sounds
> >like a tire boot except the Park Tire Boot.
>
> Third Hand - Winter 1996-97 Catalog, page 71:
>
> "TIRE BOOT PATCHES Unlike thin tube patches, these tough
> boot patches are glued on the inside wall of a cut tire to
> protect the tube and keep it from blowing out. Set of six
> 30mm round patches.
>
> Item #RE-6159 $5.25"
>
> >There is, however, the Rema feather edge patch, sold 100
> >in a box, and described as a 1" round patch versus the
> >tire boot's 1.5" x 3" oblong. But this is just a tube
> >patch and probably not what you have in mind.
>
> Yep, Item #RE-22 in the same catalog.
>
> >Maybe they'd stopped selling what you're after?
>
> That's what I said in the above attribution.
>
> BTW, the "RE" in the item number implies this is a Rema
> product. If they're still making them they might still be
> available from QBP.
>

> jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net
> http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

Dear John,

Perhaps the "fabric casing patch" below is what you
have in mind?

Carl Fogel

Mountain Bike Tire Repair Kit Rema's popular Mountain Bike
Repair Kit is designed for on the trail repairs. Complete
with a carrying case. (Packaged in a convenient Point Of
Purchase display box)

Rema Part No. Description Units per Box 23 Kit includes 2
each large round, and small round patches, 12 g air
cartridges, tire levers, and emery papers 1 each fabric
casing patch, rapid inflation adapter valve cap, tube of CFC
free cement 10

Mountain Bike /All Terrain Tire Repair Kit This kit is for
use on the trail or at home. Each kit is packaged in a
plastic box and includes the folllowing: (Packaged in a
convenient Point Of Purchase display box)

Rema Part No. Description Units per Box 20 1 each large
round and oval tube patch, large woven fabric tire patch,
emery paper, tube of CFC free cement, 2 each small round
tube patches, tire leavers 16