patching old tubes

ranger39000

Jul 9, 2006
Here's a question to all my cycling brethren. How many of you patch your high pressure tubes for later use? I commute 18.5 miles from work every day and I'm startin to build up a surplus of "to be patched later" tubes. Also, does anybody out there have problems with the feel of a bump in their ride if they do so? And if so, is there a solution? :confused: ......the CyclingPsychOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :cool:

I always patch them. Why waste?

My butt isn't sensitive enough to feel the bump from the patch. I'd be surprised if anyone could feel it.

ranger39000 said:
Here's a question to all my cycling brethren. How many of you patch your high pressure tubes for later use? I commute 18.5 miles from work every day and I'm startin to build up a surplus of "to be patched later" tubes. Also, does anybody out there have problems with the feel of a bump in their ride if they do so? And if so, is there a solution? :confused: ......the CyclingPsychOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! :cool:
Patch 'em, it's not a problem. I patch training tires and for years patched my own racing sewups. Patches are pretty darn thin, if you don't want to mess with glue get some of the Park quick patches. They work fine are about as thin as a piece of saran wrap and the glue doesn't dry out so they keep longer in your saddle bag. In addition to two good tubes I always have a few of these quick patches in my kit for long rides.

A new one is less than 4 USD (5 for 100 DKK), so I can't be bothered with patching anymore. I always carry self adhesive patches with me, so I can patch up after the second flat on a ride, which, btw, has never happened. (always carry a spare tube with me). When I was younger and lived off my allowance and donations from grand parents, I would patch tubes 4-5 times before I swapped them for new ones.

Also I find like 1/10 times the patch doesn't hold air or there was a second hole or something, so I just bin old tubes or use them for bungee chords or whatever. :p Especially those self adhesive patches vary a lot in quality, but the ease of not having to fiddle with glue is so attractive to me.

Strid said:
A new one is less than 4 USD (5 for 100 DKK), so I can't be bothered with patching anymore. I always carry self adhesive patches with me, so I can patch up after the second flat on a ride, which, btw, has never happened. (always carry a spare tube with me). When I was younger and lived off my allowance and donations from grand parents, I would patch tubes 4-5 times before I swapped them for new ones.

Also I find like 1/10 times the patch doesn't hold air or there was a second hole or something, so I just bin old tubes or use them for bungee chords or whatever. :p Especially those self adhesive patches vary a lot in quality, but the ease of not having to fiddle with glue is so attractive to me.
============================================================
Do you have NO environmental concern? Like filling up rubbish dumps?:mad:

Patch them - do it properly and they'll be fine. :)

sogood said:
A big reason to patch is for the environment.
===========================================================
I agree - why create yet another 1 use item to be thrown away = rubbish. Patch 'em.
I can feel any difference between patched and un patched tubes to ride on - both as smooth. :)

Bigbananabike said:
============================================================
Do you have NO environmental concern? Like filling up rubbish dumps?:mad:

Patch them - do it properly and they'll be fine. :)

Actually throwing tubes away is good for the environment, you see, if the poor people in Indonesia didn't have the rubber industry, they would be chopping down the rainforest to clear the land for farming, and we all know what that does to the environment. So keep on tossing.

Xsmoker said:
Actually throwing tubes away is good for the environment, you see, if the poor people in Indonesia didn't have the rubber industry, they would chopping down the rainforest to clear the land for farming, and we all know what that does to the environment. So keep on tossing.
==========================================================
Wow, with your "logic" it's no wonder you have George W for president(with apologies to all the smart North American citizens out there).

If you just toss them away = you're the ******:eek:

Bigbananabike said:
==========================================================
Wow, with your "logic" it's no wonder you have George W for president(with apologies to all the smart North American citizens out there).

If you just toss them away = you're the ******:eek:

Actually, I really never just toss things out, I just place them at the curb once a week and, like magic, they just dissapear.

Xsmoker said:
Actually throwing tubes away is good for the environment, you see, if the poor people in Indonesia didn't have the rubber industry, they would be chopping down the rainforest to clear the land for farming, and we all know what that does to the environment. So keep on tossing.
Rubbish, tyres are now all synthetic, it all came out of those black stuff from the Middle East!

I patch the tubes in the training wheelset and always put new in the racing set...when the racing set gets a puncture, they get put on hold until I need them for the training set. The most patches I had on one tube was 12...I just didn't trust it much after the that:p

Thankyou 4 all your reply's. Decided to patch em all and see what happens. Frugal is now my middle name. I am VERY amused how a simple question can become a heated
mad.gif
debate. It's what seperates us from the chimps......we think about things. Don't know bout non-cyclists though
rolleyes.gif

graphixgeek said:
I patch the tubes in the training wheelset and always put new in the racing set...when the racing set gets a puncture, they get put on hold until I need them for the training set. The most patches I had on one tube was 12...I just didn't trust it much after the that:p
===========================================================
Yep, I'm with you on that one:) . New tubes for racing otherwise patches up to about 8 or so - by that stage they're a few years old and need to go.