patching plural proximate punctures

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by meb, Oct 25, 2003.

  1. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    If plural punctures are apart by less than 1/2 inch, is it better to use one patch covering both, or seperate patches?

    Tags:

  2. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On 26 Oct 2003 11:11:17 +1050, meb <[email protected]> may have said:

    >If plural punctures are apart by less than 1/2 inch, is it better to use one patch covering both,
    >or seperate patches?

    In my experience, if the available patches are not large enough to cover both punctures and leave an
    adequate margin around them, then swap tubes or count on having to redo the patch job later. At 15mm
    of puncture separation or less, I have found that two patches are likely to leak. the same is true
    for the dreaded New Puncture Just Next To The Patch Over An Old One.

  3. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    "meb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If plural punctures are apart by less than 1/2 inch, is it better to use one patch covering both,
    > or seperate patches?

    Yes.

    Bill "what's with these Cycling Forum posters, anyway?" S.

  4. The perplexing problem of plentiful or plural proximate punctures pertains to patch persintence.

    One big patch is what I do and it works. You can even use an old tube as a patch, but you have to
    get all the shine off it with a grinder or similar. It's tedious to do this and I've only done it to
    be able to in case the need arose

  5. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > "meb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > If plural punctures are apart by less than 1/2 inch, is it better to use one patch covering
    > > both, or seperate patches?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    > Bill "what's with these Cycling Forum posters, anyway?" S.

    Cyclingforums.com has passthru into Usenet and it looks like you are participating in a website
    forum and not a news reader. Wouldn't JD have a time if MTBR started the same thing?!

    Mike

  6. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    > "Sorni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "meb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > If plural punctures are apart by less than 1/2 inch, is it better to
    use
    > > > one patch covering both, or seperate patches?
    > >
    > > Yes.
    > >
    > > Bill "what's with these Cycling Forum posters, anyway?" S.
    > >

    > Cyclingforums.com has passthru into Usenet and it looks like you are participating in a website
    > forum and not a news reader. Wouldn't JD have
    > time if MTBR started the same thing?!

    Who?

    :)