Patching tube with silicone

meb

New Member
Aug 21, 2003
1,219
Many years ago I had success mounting tubless tires and even patching them with rtv silicone, patching even worked better than with rubber cement. That is a less flexible and lower pressure application than bicycle tube. Does it work with bicycle tubes vs. the traditional rubber cement or are there problems there.

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 06:25:15 +1100, meb
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Many years ago I had success mounting tubless tires and even patching
>them with rtv silicone, patching even worked better than with rubber
>cement. That is a less flexible and lower pressure application than
>bicycle tube. Does it work with bicycle tubes vs. the traditional
>rubber cement or are there problems there.

I haven't tried it myself, but every atempt I've seen by others has
failed. Given that conventional patching methods work well, and that
the materials are readily available and inexpensive (and produce a
result that can be ridden in minutes, not hours), I have had no urge
to investigate whether it would work.

The tubeless tire patching methods I have seen recommended involved
the use of a special type of cyanoacrylate glue, not RTV.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

right! but special cyano need not be more than brand name quality super
glue best as the non flowing thickend variety
on going thru my pile of used tubes for repair
i came upon a nashbar bike specific oval patch with feathered edges
which stood out like a sore thumb
so much so that next time ima gonna buy more.
the feathered edges tapir off to zero thickness and glue-ed DOWN!!!
like this sucker is TIGHT to the tube.
on the shelf and as yet unused is a woolmort auto patch kit
holding several round feathered patchs!!!!
that's next to the Indy valve tool just down from the blue locktite.