Patching up of scratches

SniperX

Jan 29, 2003
Anyone know whats the best way to patch up scratches(carbon fibre frame) ? just had a crash ... sucks impact on the rear left fork.. is it ok to use car touch up paint ?

I used modelling paint (like what you use on those model plane kits etc.) to touch up my bike.

Rek: how bout car touch up paint? Is that similar to modelling paint too ?

Hi Sniper X

Hope you are ok after your crash. I had a friend of mine who owns a panelbeating shop make up some paint that matches my bike's colour to use as touch up paint. I then use fine art brushes to build up the paint in successive layers untill it stands proud of the original paint. I then use 1200 grit sandpaper and a lot of water to sand it down to the same level as the original paint. WARNING......BE VERY VERRRYYY VERRRRYYYY CAREFULL>>>>TOO MUCH SANDING WILL TAKE AWAY THE ORIGINAL PAINT!!!!!!!!! The whole area is now dull and I shine it up with LIGHT rubbing of something like Brasso, Silvo or a rubbing compound. Withs some due care you can completely get rid of these ugly marks on your baby.

Keep those wheels spinning!!!!!

Big H

Hi Sniper X
I did not read your post properly. The little I know about carbon fibre is that scratches are bad news. It causes a place where the material is weak and may fail. Rather have your fork inspected by someone who knows and maybe get a second opinion. You do not want a fork folding at high speed.

Big H