Patellar?(knee) tendonitis

Happyt

Apr 7, 2004
I have just been diagnosed with knee tendonitis (right knee). I will take Ibuprofen as recommended but cant find any other information that relates to cycling (specific exercises etc).

Any experiences with this? Its been around on and off for a while but recently has become much more painful.

Any experience of suppliments helping(glucosamine, cod liver oil) or knee straps/bands would be great.

All help advice greatfully received.

Ta.

:confused:

I am in P.T. for this condition now. First, stop riding. Maybe some light spinning around, but no hills. Second, do not overstretch the tendon. Many people will tell you to stretch alot. True, you do want to gain flexibility, but very slowly. What you do want to stretch aggressively is your hamstrings. If your hamstrings are tight, then your quad and patellar tendon must work that much harder to extend your leg. This injury takes a long time to heal because there is not many blood vessels in tendons and that particular tendon is used very often. This condition is very frustrating, but you must be patient and conservative. Also. make sure your saddle height is correct. If you have any questions just ask.

Dean:)

dsdelis said:
I am in P.T. for this condition now. First, stop riding. Maybe some light spinning around, but no hills. Second, do not overstretch the tendon. Many people will tell you to stretch alot. True, you do want to gain flexibility, but very slowly. What you do want to stretch aggressively is your hamstrings. If your hamstrings are tight, then your quad and patellar tendon must work that much harder to extend your leg. This injury takes a long time to heal because there is not many blood vessels in tendons and that particular tendon is used very often. This condition is very frustrating, but you must be patient and conservative. Also. make sure your saddle height is correct. If you have any questions just ask.

Dean:)
when it recovers, ensure that the foot wear that you are wearing isn't worn on one side. i know that i overpronate slightly when i walk, and when my trainers are worn. I tend to get a ache and pain\ discomfort in my left knee this is when i know that i need to try and use a new pair of trainers. not only that have you tryed raising your seat slightly, so you are using more of your glutes and hamstrings opposed to your quads.

Hi
Can you tell me the symptomes of this patellar tendonitis?
Cheers,Paul

Paul70 said:
Hi
Can you tell me the symptomes of this patellar tendonitis?
Cheers,Paul
Hi Paul,
Pain and tenderness usually just below the kneecap. The problem is that while exercising it may feel better, but afterward the pain sets in. Usually the following day. If you think you may be getting tendinitis, I would drastically scale back the intensity level. Because it is very difficult to cure.
Take Care,
Dean