Patience . . . new computer!

Lynn from Fargo

Guest
I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)

Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.

Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!

Lynn in Fargo

In article <[email protected]>,
"Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
> this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
> regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
>
> Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
> how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
> software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
>
> Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
>
> Lynn in Fargo

Apple says the iBook comes with the latest Appleworks. If it isn't on
the machine already, then check the software disk that came with the
computer. Depending on how old your machine is, the "latest" may of
course not be the current latest.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71306/wo/
Lm4NS0R4BcLN2wS93OA2Zdc0NOl/0.SLID?nclm=iBook&mco=F8E860A

--
Dan Abel
[email protected]

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
> this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
> regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
>
> Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
> how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
> software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
>
> Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
>
> Lynn in Fargo

I had a little iBook a few years ago and loved it, now I have the little
powerbook. It's so small and light and with all the travelling I do the size
is a godsend!

If you are running OSX just open up the System Preferences and go to Display
settings and change it from there. Good luck.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com

Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
> this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
> regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
>
> Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
> how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
> software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
>
> Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
>
> Lynn in Fargo

Oh, also, I use NeoOffice which is free and very feature-ful (if that's a
word).

--

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 04:22:57 GMT, The Bubbo wrote:

> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
> > I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
> > this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
> > regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
> >
> > Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
> > how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
> > software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
> >
> > Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
> >
> > Lynn in Fargo
> >

> Oh, also, I use NeoOffice which is free and very feature-ful (if that's a
> word).

So there's an alternative to open office? Have you ever compared
them?

sf wrote:
> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 04:22:57 GMT, The Bubbo wrote:
>
>> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
>> > I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
>> > this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
>> > regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
>> >
>> > Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
>> > how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
>> > software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
>> >
>> > Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
>> >
>> > Lynn in Fargo
>> >

>> Oh, also, I use NeoOffice which is free and very feature-ful (if that's a
>> word).

> So there's an alternative to open office? Have you ever compared
> them?
> --
>
> Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

I have both, Open Office requires an understanding of Unix to get it started
and I just couldn't get it running. When I asked the advice of my other OSX
friends I found that the geekier ones liked Open Office and the ones who were
more like me used NeoOffice. I downloaded them both and found that Neo works
from the moment you open it and that pretty much seals the deal with me. I
want the stuff on my computer to work, I don't have the attention span to be
futzing with things.

--

The Bubbo wrote:
> sf wrote:

>>> Oh, also, I use NeoOffice which is free and very feature-ful (if that's a
>>> word).

>>So there's an alternative to open office? Have you ever compared
>>them?
>>--
>>
>>Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

> I have both, Open Office requires an understanding of Unix to get it started

it does?

> and I just couldn't get it running. When I asked the advice of my other OSX
> friends I found that the geekier ones liked Open Office and the ones who were
> more like me used NeoOffice. I downloaded them both and found that Neo works
> from the moment you open it and that pretty much seals the deal with me. I
> want the stuff on my computer to work, I don't have the attention span to be
> futzing with things.

hmm. maybe its just the mac version that's like that.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

sarah bennett wrote:

>>>So there's an alternative to open office? Have you ever compared
>>>them?
>>>--
>>>
>>>Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

>> I have both, Open Office requires an understanding of Unix to get it

started

> it does?
>
>> and I just couldn't get it running. When I asked the advice of my other OSX
>> friends I found that the geekier ones liked Open Office and the ones who

were
>> more like me used NeoOffice. I downloaded them both and found that Neo

works
>> from the moment you open it and that pretty much seals the deal with me. I
>> want the stuff on my computer to work, I don't have the attention span to

be
>> futzing with things.
>>

> hmm. maybe its just the mac version that's like that.

I think that's right, somebody mentioned something like that. After I got
NeoOffice up and running and found that I liked it and it did everything I
needed it to do I abandoned Open Office so I never really followed up on it.

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

In article <[email protected]>,
"Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
> this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
> regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
>
> Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
> how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
> software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
>
> Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
>
> Lynn in Fargo

Check the comp.sys.mac groups, Lynn. The folks are generally helpful.
I always grovel a bit at the beginning of my questions. :)
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

In article <[email protected]>,
Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
> > this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
> > regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
> >
> > Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
> > how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
> > software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
> >
> > Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
> >
> > Lynn in Fargo

> Apple says the iBook comes with the latest Appleworks. If it isn't on
> the machine already, then check the software disk that came with the
> computer. Depending on how old your machine is, the "latest" may of
> course not be the current latest.

AppleWorks should already be in the Applications folder, ready and
waiting to be used.