Patience . . . new computer!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Lynn from Fargo, Jan 22, 2006.

  1. I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
    this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
    regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)

    Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
    how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
    software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.

    Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!

    Lynn in Fargo

    Tags:

  2. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
    > this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
    > regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
    >
    > Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
    > how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
    > software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
    >
    > Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
    >
    > Lynn in Fargo

    Apple says the iBook comes with the latest Appleworks. If it isn't on
    the machine already, then check the software disk that came with the
    computer. Depending on how old your machine is, the "latest" may of
    course not be the current latest.

    http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71306/wo/
    Lm4NS0R4BcLN2wS93OA2Zdc0NOl/0.SLID?nclm=iBook&mco=F8E860A

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  3. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Lynn from Fargo wrote:
    > I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
    > this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
    > regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
    >
    > Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
    > how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
    > software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
    >
    > Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
    >
    > Lynn in Fargo

    I had a little iBook a few years ago and loved it, now I have the little
    powerbook. It's so small and light and with all the travelling I do the size
    is a godsend!

    If you are running OSX just open up the System Preferences and go to Display
    settings and change it from there. Good luck.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  4. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Lynn from Fargo wrote:
    > I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
    > this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
    > regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
    >
    > Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
    > how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
    > software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
    >
    > Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
    >
    > Lynn in Fargo

    Oh, also, I use NeoOffice which is free and very feature-ful (if that's a
    word).

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  5. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 04:22:57 GMT, The Bubbo wrote:

    > Lynn from Fargo wrote:
    > > I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
    > > this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
    > > regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
    > >
    > > Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
    > > how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
    > > software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
    > >
    > > Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
    > >
    > > Lynn in Fargo
    > >

    > Oh, also, I use NeoOffice which is free and very feature-ful (if that's a
    > word).

    So there's an alternative to open office? Have you ever compared
    them?

  6. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sf wrote:
    > On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 04:22:57 GMT, The Bubbo wrote:
    >
    >> Lynn from Fargo wrote:
    >> > I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
    >> > this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
    >> > regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
    >> >
    >> > Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
    >> > how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
    >> > software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
    >> >
    >> > Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
    >> >
    >> > Lynn in Fargo
    >> >

    >> Oh, also, I use NeoOffice which is free and very feature-ful (if that's a
    >> word).

    > So there's an alternative to open office? Have you ever compared
    > them?
    > --
    >
    > Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

    I have both, Open Office requires an understanding of Unix to get it started
    and I just couldn't get it running. When I asked the advice of my other OSX
    friends I found that the geekier ones liked Open Office and the ones who were
    more like me used NeoOffice. I downloaded them both and found that Neo works
    from the moment you open it and that pretty much seals the deal with me. I
    want the stuff on my computer to work, I don't have the attention span to be
    futzing with things.

    --

  7. The Bubbo wrote:
    > sf wrote:

    >>> Oh, also, I use NeoOffice which is free and very feature-ful (if that's a
    >>> word).

    >>So there's an alternative to open office? Have you ever compared
    >>them?
    >>--
    >>
    >>Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

    > I have both, Open Office requires an understanding of Unix to get it started

    it does?

    > and I just couldn't get it running. When I asked the advice of my other OSX
    > friends I found that the geekier ones liked Open Office and the ones who were
    > more like me used NeoOffice. I downloaded them both and found that Neo works
    > from the moment you open it and that pretty much seals the deal with me. I
    > want the stuff on my computer to work, I don't have the attention span to be
    > futzing with things.

    hmm. maybe its just the mac version that's like that.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  8. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:

    >>>So there's an alternative to open office? Have you ever compared
    >>>them?
    >>>--
    >>>
    >>>Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

    >> I have both, Open Office requires an understanding of Unix to get it

    started

    > it does?
    >
    >> and I just couldn't get it running. When I asked the advice of my other OSX
    >> friends I found that the geekier ones liked Open Office and the ones who

    were
    >> more like me used NeoOffice. I downloaded them both and found that Neo

    works
    >> from the moment you open it and that pretty much seals the deal with me. I
    >> want the stuff on my computer to work, I don't have the attention span to

    be
    >> futzing with things.
    >>

    > hmm. maybe its just the mac version that's like that.

    I think that's right, somebody mentioned something like that. After I got
    NeoOffice up and running and found that I liked it and it did everything I
    needed it to do I abandoned Open Office so I never really followed up on it.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
    > this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
    > regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
    >
    > Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
    > how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
    > software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
    >
    > Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
    >
    > Lynn in Fargo

    Check the comp.sys.mac groups, Lynn. The folks are generally helpful.
    I always grovel a bit at the beginning of my questions. :)
    --
    http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-15-2006, RIP Connie Drew

  10. Stan Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Dan Abel <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > "Lynn from Fargo" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I have a new (to me) iBook. I am a small person with small hands but
    > > this keyboard is weird! ... and FLAT! The whole unit is smaller than a
    > > regular sized 3 ring binder. Weighs about 5 lbs (?)
    > >
    > > Also the screen is small - bright but small and I haven't figured out
    > > how to increase the font size. I also need to get new Apple Works
    > > software as all I have now is Claris 5 on the oooooooooold computer.
    > >
    > > Please be patient with me as I explore the new doohickeys!
    > >
    > > Lynn in Fargo

    > Apple says the iBook comes with the latest Appleworks. If it isn't on
    > the machine already, then check the software disk that came with the
    > computer. Depending on how old your machine is, the "latest" may of
    > course not be the current latest.

    AppleWorks should already be in the Applications folder, ready and
    waiting to be used.