Patient Pay: Cash or Insurance?

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by su-texas, Dec 25, 2003.

  1. su-texas

    su-texas Guest

    Cash Only?

    The doctors & hospitals seem to prefer those patients, who can pay in cash.

    Even though I have insurance that pays 100%, it's almost impossible to find any
    good/quality/legitimate medical care.

    ???

    ----------

    The Medical Industry: Bounty System?

    A retired doctor once told me, that some hospitals will (are forced to?) take a bounty/single-
    payment each year, from each insurance company, ... to treat all their clients who show up for
    treatment at that hospital.

    If the hospital refuses care (or gives the least care possible) to these patients, then they get to
    keep more of the money.

    If true, then this would be a huge incentive for the hospitals (& the doctors who use them), Not to
    do quality work.

    Also, hospitals have many charges not covered by insurance, for which the patients have to pay cash,
    ... such as paying for copies of films & reports (sometimes $35 a page or sheet), ... going to the
    cafeteria & paying for meals when the hospital forgets to serve you in your room, etc.

    -------------

    Most doctors want to sell their time only, which is worthless if they refuse to do quality testing &
    diagnosis up-front.

    Often the only difference between the clients with good insurance, & those who can't pay, ... is
    that the receptionist refuses the can't-pay patients all care, ... while the doctor refuses the
    insurance patients most (if not all) care.

    So far, seeking medical care has proved a No-WIn/Catch-22 sorta thing.

    ---------------

    If we don't do something (about the medical industry & govt corruption), then our health insurance
    may be completely worthless in the near future.

    Medical care will become a cash pay system only.

    Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

    Tags:

  2. su-texas

    su-texas Guest

    NOT Insurance?

    When the doctors knew I was paying with insurance (with Medicare primary, because I'm disability-
    retired due to injuries, & GEHA secondary), ... & that the insurance would pay 100% of any medical
    care ordered, ... then the doctors repeatedly did their best to refuse me all medical care for
    injuries, strokes, & cancer.

    This made no sense!

    Somehow the insurance companies have rigged things, so that we can't get any good medical care with
    even the best insurance. ???

    This happened to me repeatedly at LSU in Shreveport, at Parkland & Baylor in Dallas, etc.

    For some reason, the medical schools & hospitals (even the charity ones, such as Parkland & LSU) &
    the doctors, are Not interested in those patients who are paying with insurance.

    ???

    Susan, Su_Texas my opinions

    PS Years ago, my brother became ill at his child's birthday party, & was admitted to the hospital.

    It was very contagious, I got sick too, & was taken by ambulance to the hospital. I was dehydrated &
    delirious, was given some IVs in the ER, then was told to go home, ... even though I was very weak &
    severely injured, was alone & living in primitive conditions, could get no basic medical care, & was
    in much worse shape than my brother.

    My brother (who was otherwise healthy) was kept in the hospital for days, & given meals & care.

    I had the good insurance. He paid cash.

  3. Rich Andrews

    Rich Andrews Guest

    [email protected] wrote in news:[email protected]
    3191.bay.webtv.net:

    > NOT Insurance?
    >
    > When the doctors knew I was paying with insurance (with Medicare primary, because I'm disability-
    > retired due to injuries, & GEHA secondary), ... & that the insurance would pay 100% of any medical
    > care ordered, ... then the doctors repeatedly did their best to refuse me all medical care for
    > injuries, strokes, & cancer.
    >
    > This made no sense!
    >
    > Somehow the insurance companies have rigged things, so that we can't get any good medical care
    > with even the best insurance. ???
    >
    > This happened to me repeatedly at LSU in Shreveport, at Parkland & Baylor in Dallas, etc.
    >
    > For some reason, the medical schools & hospitals (even the charity ones, such as Parkland & LSU) &
    > the doctors, are Not interested in those patients who are paying with insurance.
    >
    > ???
    >
    > Susan, Su_Texas my opinions
    >
    > PS Years ago, my brother became ill at his child's birthday party, & was admitted to the
    > hospital.
    >
    > It was very contagious, I got sick too, & was taken by ambulance to the hospital. I was dehydrated
    > & delirious, was given some IVs in the ER, then was told to go home, ... even though I was very
    > weak & severely injured, was alone & living in primitive conditions, could get no basic medical
    > care, & was in much worse shape than my brother.
    >
    > My brother (who was otherwise healthy) was kept in the hospital for days, & given meals & care.
    >
    > I had the good insurance. He paid cash.

    Obviously you didn't have the "good insurance". There are a couple of companies that are notorious
    for not paying doctors and hospitals. As a matter of fact, many doctors will not take patients that
    have that health plan.

  4. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Cash Only?
    >
    > The doctors & hospitals seem to prefer those patients, who can pay in cash.
    >
    > Even though I have insurance that pays 100%, it's almost impossible to find any
    > good/quality/legitimate medical care.

    Su, this is exactly opposite of what the antimed liars so often utter, about how one needs insurance
    to pay for medical treatment.

  5. <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Rich Andrews wrote:

    snip

    > Mostly, the docs overly-push bad pills such an antidepressants & such, .. no matter what's wrong
    > (broken arm, concussion, dislocated or bulging discs in spine, cancer, abuse, whatever).

    Are you claiming that antidepressants are being prescribed for fractures, concussions, herniated
    discs, cancer, and the dreaed whatever?