Patriot Act Renewal (II)?

Colorado Ryder said:
No. Just amused. I'm not the one that gets flustered by other opinions. Unlike some I can handle differing opinions.
More passive-aggressive poking, eh? You sound scarred. Hurt even.

davidmc said:
Patriot Act up for renewal :eek: There goes the Constitution :mad: (Bill of Rights) Great going Repub's.
Hey peabody...give it a rest..You've got the Netherlands the most liberal area on the planet talking about their own version of the PA...This over the killing of one individual not thousands... Now I know you like the Netherlands cause you can take your bong there but looks like times they are a changing!

"THE HAGUE — The Dutch government yesterday vowed tough measures against what a leading politician called "the arrival of jihad in the Netherlands" after a death threat to a Dutch lawmaker was found spiked with a knife to the body of a slain filmmaker by his radical Muslim attacker.

"We are not going to tolerate this. We are going to ratchet up the fight against this sort of terrorism," he said. "The increase in radicalization is worse than we had thought."

Among measures under consideration is an emergency law to enable authorities to revoke the Dutch nationality of dual citizens suspected of terrorist activity so that they can be deported.

"The jihad has come to the Netherlands and a small group of jihadist terrorists is attacking the principles of our country," he said. "I hope the Netherlands will now move beyond denial and do what is fitting in a democracy — take action.
"These people don't want to change our society, they want to destroy it," he said.

lokstah said:
We're not talking about physics, we're talking about law. If the Patriot Act is broadly powered enough to permit serious civil liberties abuses, it's a valid issue.
Didn't ever say it wasn't an issue. Its just amusing to see people position themselves politically.

zapper said:
Curious...How can one sound scarred? :confused:
Wounded, hurt. Like the girl at the prom supposedly ok with her friend Jackie taking Rick--but it became clear that she'd spend the evening avoiding her date Bobby in favor of revealing her ongoing bitterness out of the corner of her mouth: "oh, never seen you do that before. Is that a new trick?" Or perhaps, "Unlike some guys, Bobby knows how to talk politics--err, make out--without getting flustered."

Poor Sarah.

lokstah said:
Wounded, hurt. Like the girl at the prom supposedly ok with her friend Jackie taking Rick--but it became clear that she'd spend the evening avoiding her date Bobby in favor of revealing her ongoing bitterness out of the corner of her mouth: "oh, never seen you do that before. Is that a new trick?" Or perhaps, "Unlike some guys, Bobby knows how to talk politics--err, make out--without getting flustered."

Poor Sarah.
That's a bit of a reach I think..

lokstah said:

Poor Sarah.
Ok Lokstah. Lets have a discussion. Perhaps we can talk about the Iraq war or the Patriot act. I'm sure everyone has an opinion about them. But the first time you, MC, or Ryan utter that Bush is an idiot, Bush lied, Neocon conspiracy, Repubs are bads, Christian right, red state/blue state, Haliburton, rigged elections, etc etc, I and others check out. Because it becomes apparent that it is not a discussion on whether Iraq or the Patriot act are good or bad. It becomes an argument on whose politics are better. So when Ryan who from his previous posts is far-left gives us some essay from Chomsky that agrees with Ryan then I will call it for what it is....********.

Colorado Ryder said:
Ok Lokstah. Lets have a discussion. Perhaps we can talk about the Iraq war or the Patriot act. I'm sure everyone has an opinion about them. But the first time you, MC, or Ryan utter that Bush is an idiot, Bush lied, Neocon conspiracy, Repubs are bads, Christian right, red state/blue state, Haliburton, rigged elections, etc etc, I and others check out. Because it becomes apparent that it is not a discussion on whether Iraq or the Patriot act are good or bad. It becomes an argument on whose politics are better. So when Ryan who from his previous posts is far-left gives us some essay from Chomsky that agrees with Ryan then I will call it for what it is....********.
Let's make a tenuous deal. I'm unclear on the parameters, but we can play it by ear. Refrain from debate-halting statements about the political establishment (ie, Bush is an idiot), and refrain from defining other posters out of the discussion (ie, typical lib speak). Measured, fact-grounded criticisms of the political left or right (ie, Bush lied, or Kerry behaved traitorously) may be provocative, but so long as they remain debatable would seem fair ground. It's why we're here.

zapper said:
Hey peabody...give it a rest..You've got the Netherlands the most liberal area on the planet talking about their own version of the PA...This over the killing of one individual not thousands... Now I know you like the Netherlands cause you can take your bong there but looks like times they are a changing!

"THE HAGUE — The Dutch government yesterday vowed tough measures against what a leading politician called "the arrival of jihad in the Netherlands" after a death threat to a Dutch lawmaker was found spiked with a knife to the body of a slain filmmaker by his radical Muslim attacker.

"We are not going to tolerate this. We are going to ratchet up the fight against this sort of terrorism," he said. "The increase in radicalization is worse than we had thought."

Among measures under consideration is an emergency law to enable authorities to revoke the Dutch nationality of dual citizens suspected of terrorist activity so that they can be deported.

"The jihad has come to the Netherlands and a small group of jihadist terrorists is attacking the principles of our country," he said. "I hope the Netherlands will now move beyond denial and do what is fitting in a democracy — take action.
"These people don't want to change our society, they want to destroy it," he said.
Equating "Patriot II" w/ the Nederlands revoking dual citizenship :confused: Lets be serious here. Were talking about gov't over-reaching here, with I might add, real life consequences for an avg. citicen. This act is a Sham. It makes the gov't look like a modern day S.S. w/ Gonzales at the helm. One Senator remarked inre Gonzales' nomination-" I wouldn't have thought you guys could have found someone worse than his predecessor but you did. ;)

davidmc said:
Equating "Patriot II" w/ the Nederlands revoking dual citizenship :confused: Lets be serious here. Were talking about gov't over-reaching here, with I might add, real life consequences for an avg. citicen. This act is a Sham. It makes the gov't look like a modern day S.S. w/ Gonzales at the helm. One Senator remarked inre Gonzales' nomination-" I wouldn't have thought you guys could have found someone worse than his predecessor but you did. ;)
Why don't you just think about what you just said again after reading my post. America is a fairly conservative nation in your eyes...we created this patriot act after thousands died at the hands of terrorists. Now you take the Netherlands...very liberal when it comes to civil liberties etc.. After ONE person gets killed in the name of Allah, they are ready to wreak havoc on dual citizenry.. what ya think would happen if 3,000 were murdered on one day? I think you wouldn’t be flying over there to fire up you bong anymore that’s for sure...

zapper said:
Why don't you just think about what you just said again after reading my post. America is a fairly conservative nation in your eyes...we created this patriot act after thousands died at the hands of terrorists. Now you take the Netherlands...very liberal when it comes to civil liberties etc.. After ONE person gets killed in the name of Allah, they are ready to wreak havoc on dual citizenry.. what ya think would happen if 3,000 were murdered on one day? I think you wouldn’t be flying over there to fire up you bong anymore that’s for sure...
Its like comparing Huffy's to Serotta's. They have been a highly homogenous (white) country up until recently. The U.S. on the other hand has always had a wide variety of individuals. Since when did you start caring about the going's-on in Europe :confused: :rolleyes:

lokstah said:
Let's make a tenuous deal. I'm unclear on the parameters, but we can play it by ear. Refrain from debate-halting statements about the political establishment (ie, Bush is an idiot), and refrain from defining other posters out of the discussion (ie, typical lib speak). Measured, fact-grounded criticisms of the political left or right (ie, Bush lied, or Kerry behaved traitorously) may be provocative, but so long as they remain debatable would seem fair ground. It's why we're here.
I suppose so. But then again the discussion won't proceed very far.

I'm uncomfortable with the Patriot Act. I don't believe Bush did it to seize control of the country and rape the Constitution. I believe it was passed in order to give us the tools to be able to effectively track and catch terrorist. Could it be misused? Yes it could. Can we come up with something better? Yes.

davidmc said:
Its like comparing Huffy's to Serotta's. They have been a highly homogenous (white) country up until recently. The U.S. on the other hand has always had a wide variety of individuals. Since when did you start caring about the going's-on in Europe :confused: :rolleyes:
Oh, I care. I care when the spanairds let terrorists change the course of their elections, I care when I heard of van gogh. Why do I care you ask? Well I am interested in europeans opening their eyes before its too late. This brand of terroism must be stamped out, if it takes over Europe, just makes our job harder...So, yes I care.

zapper said:
Oh, I care. I care when the spanairds let terrorists change the course of their elections, I care when I heard of van gogh. Why do I care you ask? Well I am interested in europeans opening their eyes before its too late. This brand of terroism must be stamped out, if it takes over Europe, just makes our job harder...So, yes I care.
Very well then, you made your point. Don't rub my, proverbial canine-nose in it. :)

lokstah said:
Guys, I'm out for the day. Not in good shape. Play nice.
Go take care of yourself and live to fight another day...Hope you feel better. If you wish we can have peabody say a prayer for you...

zapper said:
Go take care of yourself and live to fight another day...Hope you feel better. If you wish we can have peabody say a prayer for you...
I don't use prayers see my sig. :rolleyes: On another note here's a fun question to ponder : Why does Bush want to destroy our country/military :confused: (military is complicit in its exclusion of Gay's) Recruitment #'s are down all the way around. The community college, I attend, has Army pamphlets @ every corner. The only equitable solution, apologies to ryan_velo, is the draft not to exclude evangelist's (they seem to be the most vicious anyway so they would make good fighter's :rolleyes: ) This solution would also bring in Bush's constituency (the financially "well -off", so they couldn't "weasel" out of it like Cheney/DeLay) into the ranks of the military. In the immortal words of the right-wing radio, administration sycophant (O'Reilly): "What say you" :confused: