Patriot Act Renewal (II)?

limerickman said:
Just watching the Dow Jones lose nearly 10% of it's value since last Thursday,
actually.

The knock effect to the pensions will be interesting.
Not to mention the social security "fix" (I use that term "loosely"), Bush proposed, is DOA.

Oh my god, I just saw a guy on one of the local channels. One of those evangelical morons, who was saying god spoke to him & said he wanted him to be president. He said "the will of god over the will of the people". I don't want to go on, I almost kicked the TV into the wall!:mad: !!!

ryan_velo. said:
Oh my god, I just saw a guy on one of the local channels. One of those evangelical morons, who was saying god spoke to him & said he wanted him to be president. He said "the will of god over the will of the people". I don't want to go on, I almost kicked the TV into the wall!:mad: !!!
Nice to see that you recognize this unorthodox behavior by his...ahem...constituents. The "rich" know exactly what he is doing, it's the "working poor" that he has to convince that supporting Dubya' is supporting God :rolleyes:

limerickman said:
Just watching the Dow Jones lose nearly 10% of it's value since last Thursday,
actually.

The knock effect to the pensions will be interesting.
Can't argue w/ that :eek:

davidmc said:
Not to mention the social security "fix" (I use that term "loosely"), Bush proposed, is DOA.

Now you're talking.

The Dow was trading at 10,875 three weeks.
It now stands at 10,000.
Drop in value of 7.5%.

The Nasdaq was at 2,100 - it's now at 1,900.

Of course, Bush is prepared to gamble - and gamble is what just what he wants to do with your country's social service investments - and allow SS investments to be exposed to the vagueries of a market based on nothing but
hot air.

Imagine having your social welfare contributions invested in Bernie Ebbers and
Worldcom ?

davidmc said:
Spreading more poo are you?

“The Democrats once claimed "there is no crisis," then they decided that indeed, there was a problem with Social Security, but they didn't want to do anything about it, unless personal accounts were off the table. Now they're about to abandon that position.”

Of course more of your liberal trickery: Democrats have been using a web-based "calculator" to generate individualized answers to the question, "How much will you lose under Bush privatization plan?" For young, low-wage workers it projects cuts of up to 50% in benefits. And a $1-million TV advertising campaign is amplifying the claim, saying, "Look below the surface (of Bush's plan) and you'll find benefit checks cut almost in half."
In fact, the calculator is rigged. We find it is based on a number of false assumptions and deceptive comparisons. For one thing, it assumes that stocks will yield average returns of only 3 percent per year above inflation. The historical average is close to 7 percent.
The calculator's authors claim that they use the same assumption used by the Congressional Budget Office. Actually, CBO projects a 6.8 percent gain.

BTW what was clinton stumping for in town hall meetings in 98/99???

Nice try Fido. :rolleyes:

ryan_velo. said:
um, I see....and he just magically appeared in place of your normal programming and you kept watching him as he was saying this? Dude, don't destroy your TV...Oh, hey I don't know if you have this in Kentucky but there is this device called a "remote control" and in enables the user to change channels when he/she doesn't like the programming on a particular channel. I assume they have a Wal-mart there...check it out, you could probably obtain one there....Happy hunting!

zapper said:
Oh, hey I don't know if you have this in Kentucky but there is this device called a "remote control" and in enables the user to change channels when he/she doesn't like the programming on a particular channel. I assume they have a Wal-mart there...check it out, you could probably obtain one there....Happy hunting!
In Kentucky its called a "clicker".

davidmc said:
Nice to see that you recognize this unorthodox behavior by his...ahem...constituents. The "rich" know exactly what he is doing, it's the "working poor" that he has to convince that supporting Dubya' is supporting God :rolleyes:
I believe you are reaching here... Where on earth do you get that idea?

#1 Jimmy Carter was very open about being born-again, and often ridiculed in the media for it.

#2 Jimmy Carter did make it an issue of his campaign, and during the 1976 presidential campaign in the United States, Jimmy Carter's evangelical faith arose as one of the major issues.

#3 "Then there was the Bible-quoting Bill Clinton who did most of his campaigning in largely black churches throughout the South and made sure the cameras were rolling every Sunday to photograph him entering a church clutching his big, black Bible."

You probably don't remember cause you were still livin in a cardboard box???

zapper said:
Spreading more poo are you?

“The Democrats once claimed "there is no crisis," then they decided that indeed, there was a problem with Social Security, but they didn't want to do anything about it, unless personal accounts were off the table. Now they're about to abandon that position.”
Speaking of "poo," it would be fair to apply the same sort of scrutinization of diction to GOP talk as you do to the Dems. What's the logical bridge connecting crisis to problem? Anyone who's read up even a little would have to concede that the Dems' concern over the Bush plan is no more hyper-extended than the Bush rhetoric over social security. With minor adjustments, the system could sustain itself for decades upon decades. A fix is in order, but lets be clear about one thing: this isn't a crisis-management situation. Beneath all of the GOP/DNC bluster, this is a debate about the fundamentals of social service, government, economics; the works.

It's a line in the sand issue. There's just a lot of "poo" to tiptoe through while negotiating the sand.

zapper said:
#1 Jimmy Carter was very open about being born-again, and often ridiculed in the media for it.
This is a funny comparison, given that outspoken faith was a liability for Jimmy, and a powerful weapon for Bush.

zapper said:
#3 "Then there was the Bible-quoting Bill Clinton who did most of his campaigning in largely black churches throughout the South and made sure the cameras were rolling every Sunday to photograph him entering a church clutching his big, black Bible."
This one is analogous. Whichever is more sad or more funny--Clinton's soul-food gospel show, or Bush's hayseed come-to-Jesus persona--is a matter of opinion.

Colorado Ryder said:
Ma: Hey Pa, where is that thing a ma jig?
Pa: I ain't seen the clicker.
Ma: Well find it. I want to watch my stories.

Johnboy: Forget the dadblamed clicker...Ima gonna just kicker in real good...Thataway the big fat preacherman won't be talkin no more on my tv...

lokstah said:
It's a line in the sand issue. There's just a lot of "poo" to tiptoe through while negotiating the sand.
Yeah, I can see that but it doesn't negate the fact that... Democrats won a mid-term election by campaigning on issues like saving Social Security and as part of his legacy vision, Clinton wanted to go down in history as the president who rescued Social Security.

My point...One can't say that it was broken 6-8 years ago yet say it is all fine and dandy now...

zapper said:
Johnboy: Forget the dadblamed clicker...Ima gonna just kicker in real good...Thataway the big fat preacherman won't be talkin no more on my tv...
MA git my shotgun. That daggum preacher man is on the picture box again. Ima gonna git him reel good this time.

zapper said:
Yeah, I can see that but it doesn't negate the fact that... Democrats won a mid-term election by campaigning on issues like saving Social Security and as part of his legacy vision, Clinton wanted to go down in history as the president who rescued Social Security.

My point...One can't say that it was broken 6-8 years ago yet say it is all fine and dandy now...
"One" didn't say "it." Members of the Democratic Party pointed out the need for Soc.Sec reform at one point, and used it to political advantage. Members of that same party, six years later, object to a proposed opposition plan which 1) doesn't fix Soc.Sec, but rather presents a different solution, and 2) is based upon the premise of the system's imminent collapse. Beyond the usual political opportunism, I don't see a significant inconsistency.

zapper said:
Peabody, move out of the way so he can see.....
It's just a silly argument, Buzzy. You're reducing statements made on both sides over the course of a decade to the same problem (broken) and the same solution (fix). Both parties have identified different issues at different times, and advocated different solutions.