Patriot Act Renewal (II)?

davidmc

Jun 23, 2004
Patriot Act up for renewal :eek: There goes the Constitution :mad: (Bill of Rights) Great going Repub's.

Must not have seen AG Gonzales on CSPAN. No bookstore or library records have been suponeaed nor have any firearms pruchases been used IAW Patriot Act.

Lay off the bong and the paranoria will eventually subside.

Weisse Luft said:
No bookstore or library records have been suponeaed nor have any firearms pruchases been used IAW Patriot Act.
That's not a justification for the presence of those provisions, nor will it be a suitable explanation in the event they're used in a manner not intended by the anti-terrorism establishment.

Weisse Luft said:
Must not have seen AG Gonzales on CSPAN. No bookstore or library records have been suponeaed nor have any firearms pruchases been used IAW Patriot Act.

I heard him & he also stated that there was a complaint made to a senator about abuses. You give your civil rights away so freely. Whats it called again :confused: - oh yeah- Fascism. All fun aside, just because a political apointee makes a statement does not make it "gospel" :rolleyes: unless; of course, you happen to be a Republican. :)

President Lincoln, another Republican, suspended writ of habeus corpus during the War Between the States. This was a far greater trampling of civil liberties than the whole of the Patriot Act. We survived just fine.

Weisse Luft said:
President Lincoln, another Republican, suspended writ of habeus corpus during the War Between the States. This was a far greater trampling of civil liberties than the whole of the Patriot Act. We survived just fine.
I've heard this one before. He was a "Whig" party member first & only became a Republican for convenience, at that time. The Republican party had only been @ for what, a year? As long as we are on the topic, The Republican party is FAR from where it used to be on social issues :mad: . I have read two biographies on Lincoln, thats how I know these things. Now all they want to do is tell someone to pull themselves up their "boot-straps" or more likely they just throw them a bible. Am I to infer that you are comparing Lincoln (who wrote his own speeches; some of the best ever written by ANY President) to Bush :confused: Incidentally, Lincoln was assassinated so, am I to infer... :confused:

I saw a cartoon in the courier journal yesterday. It showed **** & George driving a steam roller, & they had run over & trampled sings that said "the constitution, civil liberties, the environment" and a few other thing, & on the back of the steam roller there was a bumper sticker that read: How’s my driving? Call 1800 &*#$ OFF! I will try to post it if I can find the picture. It’s clever!

Weisse Luft said:
You've got to have a better defense for the nastier parts of the PA than "it could be worse," which is what you've said in two ways now.

lokstah said:
That's not a justification for the presence of those provisions, nor will it be a suitable explanation in the event they're used in a manner not intended by the anti-terrorism establishment.
Weisse, it would seem, will agree w/ whatever Hastert, DeLay & Cheney decide. What'd they do Weisse, promise you tickets to an NRA convention in exchange for your silence/acquiescence IRT-civil liberties. :confused:

ryan_velo. said:
I saw a cartoon in the courier journal yesterday. It showed **** & George driving a steam roller, & they had run over & trampled sings that said "the constitution, civil liberties, the environment" and a few other thing, & on the back of the steam roller there was a bumper sticker that read: How’s my driving? Call 1800 &*#$ OFF! I will try to post it if I can find the picture. It’s clever!
Here's a good three !!!

Weisse Luft said:

Right! And you certainly are taking his word for it aren't you. After all it's not like anyone in the Federal Government has ever lied to the American people before......"I did not have sex with that women", "there is no American presence in Cambodia".

I'm a registered Republican, but I've got my doubts, and I'm sure keeping my eyes open on this one.

lokstah said:
You've got to have a better defense for the nastier parts of the PA than "it could be worse," which is what you've said in two ways now.
Weiss saying 'it could be worse' is kind of like you and MC saying it could happen. Which is what you've said several ways now.

Colorado Ryder said:
Weiss saying 'it could be worse' is kind of like you and MC saying it could happen. Which is what you've said several ways now.
Those two are left handed...its to be expected!

zapper said:
Those two are left handed...its to be expected!
Now. Now. Don't be using any labels. Only those from the 'other side' are allowed to use labels. When we use labels we're mean-spirited. When they use labels then of course its in context of the discussion.

Colorado Ryder said:
Uh, yeah. Exactly. "It could happen." Thanks for reinforcing the theory.

Colorado Ryder said:
Now. Now. Don't be using any labels. Only those from the 'other side' are allowed to use labels. When we use labels we're mean-spirited. When they use labels then of course its in context of the discussion.
Are we bitter?

Colorado Ryder said:
Thats right. Its just a THEORY.
We're not talking about physics, we're talking about law. If the Patriot Act is broadly powered enough to permit serious civil liberties abuses, it's a valid issue.