Pat's Obscene Dilemma

B. Lafferty

Guest
http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20051210_181711Dev.html

There is really little that the UCI can do if it doesn't control the races.
Can you see riders not doing Paris-Roubaix, LBL,Milano-San Remo, etc.
because the UCI tells them not to under pain of suspension? Money talks, as
the UCI knows very well. This will be ugly but fascinating to watch.

In article <[email protected]>,
"B. Lafferty" <[email protected]> wrote:

> http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20051210_181711Dev.html
>
> There is really little that the UCI can do if it doesn't control the races.
> Can you see riders not doing Paris-Roubaix, LBL,Milano-San Remo, etc.
> because the UCI tells them not to under pain of suspension? Money talks, as
> the UCI knows very well. This will be ugly but fascinating to watch.

It's even more than that, of course: P-R, LBL, MSR, and the three Grand
Tours constitute a vastly more prestigious schedule than anything you
can make out of the remaining pro races out there (apologies to our
Dutch friends).

Given the choice, every pro team would opt for the "outlaw" races rather
than the good graces of Pat and a trip to the Eneco Tour.