Paul Saunders

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 00:08:06 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Mark South wrote:
>
>>> Damn! I've been sussed!

>> Nah, nobody would believe a website that crappy would be yours.

>Well thanks for the vote of confidence.

wotcher therealpaulsaunders; t'was easy to spot that site wasn't
anything to do with you... the size of the jpeg on the index page for
starters, plus I reckon you don't do cheese as per that site's
content. Not sure how to classify "those shorts", but "cheese" isn't
it ;-)

SteveO

NE Climbers & walkers chat forum;
http://www.thenmc.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php

NMC website: http://www.thenmc.org.uk

Phil Cook wrote:

> Sod off Saunders! We don't want the same old argument about the
> seasons again.

Sorry Phil, it was a rhetorical question, not my intention to start that
one up again. It was just in my head because of the weather forecaster
calling it autumn yesterday.

> Haven't you though of anyting new to say while you have
> been away?

For the last month I've been trying very hard not to think of new things
to say.

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

David Gibbins wrote:

> If you're still communicating Paul, can you briefly suggest a Brecon
> Beacons walk?

What sort of distance do you want to do?

> I've worked out
> I need to do the Pen-y-Fan Horseshoe but will have time for one more.
> Staying near Libanus.

Which Pen y Fan horseshoe do you mean? From the north (Cwm Gwdi) or the
south (Neauadd Reservoirs)? I presume the north. The northern approach
is more dramatic scenically, but the southern approach involves a more
high ridge walking next to steep cliffs.

You are planning to include Cribyn aren't you? Give me some more
details on the walk you plan to do.

The Ultimate Beacons Walk

Although the northern approach is more dramatic, I'd say that the best
Beacons walk (if you want to take in all the main summits) is as
follows. Be warned that's it's 13 miles with around 1200 metres of
ascent, a bit too much for me at the moment, but if you feel up to it
I'd recommend it.

Park at the bridge over Caerfanell, SO 063170. Follow the river
northwest, then north, past the waterfalls. A nice scenic easy start.
(Alternatively, if you fancy an energetic start, head NNE straight up to
the summit of Allt Forgan, a lovely little hill and a great viewpoint.)

When you reach the end of the forest, turn east up out of the valley and
cross Waun y Gorlan (try to avoid the bogs if you can), then ascend NNE
up to the ridge. Follow the western edge of Cwar y Gigfran, passing
above the plane wreck memorial, then head north to Waun Rydd. This is
the first major summit, a Marilyn, but the least interesting since it's
just a high point on a flat grassy plateau. There was nothing marking
it last time I was there so you may have trouble determining exactly
where the top is. A GPS would be helpful here.

Head west past the insignificant Nuttall of Gwaun Cerrrig Llwydion
(which they incorrectly call Bwlch y Ddwywallt - that's the name of the
bwlch, i.e. the col, not the summit! Doh!) and then follow the
excellent Craig Cwareli ridge until you reach Fan y Big, a superb
viewpoint. Apart from the initial ascent, the walking has been very
easy up to this point.

Head west downhill to the col, then ascend Cribyn, which gives the best
view of Pen y Fan. You could take the Cribyn "bypass" to avoid this
summit but it's well worth climbing. After the descent you then climb
to Pen y Fan. This is the last steep ascent.

After quickly nipping over to Corn Du, you then head south, following
the edges of Craig Gwaun Taf and Graig Fan Ddu, crossing the "blunt"
knife-edge ridge of Rhiw yr Ysgyfarnog in the process. These ridges can
be very muddy and boggy after a lot of rain.

At SO 019182 (where the cairn is marked on the map), descend east. This
bit is quite steep, but well worn. Cross the southern reservoir and the
rest is easy.

After a short road walk, turn SE to follow the disused railway through
the Taf Fechan forest, then there's another short road walk up over the
col. Turn left into the car park then follow the stream ESE back down
to the river (there is a path of sorts, if you can find it), then follow
the river back to the car.

This walk can of course be done clockwise or anti-clockwise, your
preference, and can be started from a few different points, the Neuadd
Reservoirs for example.

Most of the route is pretty straightforward but there are a few possible
variations on the eastern edge of it, like the Allt Forgan ascent I
mentioned. Another variation is to contour east past Gwalciau'r Cwm
around Craig Pwllfa and the big cairn, instead of following Cwar y
Gigfran. Another possibility is to follow Caerfanell all the way to
it's source. I came down this way once in the winter and had great fun
scrambling down next to the small frozen waterfalls.

The best variation though, which cuts out some distance and ascent, yet
still gives great ridge walking, is to park at SO 056175, then head
north directly up to Craig y Fan Ddu, then follow Graig Fan Las NNE to
the col before turning west to follow the Craig Cwareli ridge. Don't be
tempted to take a shortcut across the moorland of Gwaun Cerrig Llwydion,
the ridge walking is much easier and the extra distance is more than
compensated for by the excellent views. At the col you have the option
of walking an extra kilometre to Waun Rydd and back if you really feel
the need to bag it.

If you think the distance is too much for one day, you could split that
walk up into two, east and west, so those would be your two walks.

Alternatively, for a second walk you could go to the obvious place and
bag the eastern Fforest Fawr summits just SW of Libanus, namely Fan
Frynych, Craig Cerrig Gleisiad, Fan Llia and Fan Fawr. Very little in
the way of cliff edge walking, but loads of bleak empty wilderness and
solitude. Very little in the way of paths either, this is mostly wild,
trackless land that few people visit, thus making a nice change to the
bustle of nearby Pen y Fan. The northern end of the Afon Dringarth is a
good area for wild camping if you like solitude.

It's not a huge area to get lost in, but without paths, you'll need
reasonable navigation skills and/or a GPS in the event of bad
visibility. I've had some fun night walking around this area.

If you want something more dramatic, then head west to Mynydd Du and do
Fan Brycheiniog and the escarpment. I'm sure I've written plenty about
this in the past. Check out my trip report from a few months ago if you
can find it.

> Oh, and great 'photos on the wedding site - way above your usual
> standard!

:)

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

Paul Saunders wrote on Thu, 2 Sep 2004 17:49:15 +0100....
> Park at the bridge over Caerfanell, SO 063170. Follow the river
> northwest, then north, past the waterfalls. A nice scenic easy start.
> (Alternatively, if you fancy an energetic start, head NNE straight up to
> the summit of Allt Forgan, a lovely little hill and a great viewpoint.)
>
> When you reach the end of the forest, turn east up out of the valley and
> cross Waun y Gorlan (try to avoid the bogs if you can), then ascend NNE
> up to the ridge. Follow the western edge of Cwar y Gigfran, passing
> above the plane wreck memorial, then head north to Waun Rydd.

Rather than parking at the lower car park at SO 063170, is it possible
to start this route from the upper car park at SO 056175? Or would
that entail dropping down and then climbing back up again by the
Caerfanell? There's a forestry track marked on the map which rises
gently NE from the upper car park, but it looks as if it stops before
it gets to the NE corner of the forest.

--
Tim Jackson
[email protected]lid

Thanks for that , Paul - excellent.

Your 'Ultimate walk' looks the one if the weather permits and my companions
are feeling up to it (and if I am)!

I was planning on walking from Libanus through Cwm Llwch, past the obelisk
heading SE to Corn Du, then over Pen y Fan to Cribyn and heading NE
to drop back down into the valley and head backW to Libanus. Is that not the
'horseshoe'/

Anyway, you've given me some great options - thanks again.

David

news:[email protected]...

Tim Jackson wrote:

> Rather than parking at the lower car park at SO 063170, is it possible
> to start this route from the upper car park at SO 056175?

You could.

> Or would
> that entail dropping down and then climbing back up again by the
> Caerfanell?

It would.

> There's a forestry track marked on the map which rises
> gently NE from the upper car park, but it looks as if it stops before
> it gets to the NE corner of the forest.

I've often wondered about that, but I haven't tried it. All scales of
map confirm that it stops, even Harveys.

I recall looking at it from Allt Forgan a few years back and I think the
forest had been recently cleared at the time, so it may have been
navigable, but I'm not sure what the current state is. I'm pretty sure
I took a photograph for later study but I've had a quick look and can't
find it without a longer search.

The reason I suggested starting from the lower car park is because the
walk up the river past the waterfalls is rather good. No need to be so
obsessed with the summit bagging to miss the waterfalls. I know it
means extra ascent but I think it's worth it. If summit bagging is more
important then I'd recommend the steep ascent to Allt Forgan right at
the beginning. You'd still pass many of the falls on the way back.

If you really want to minimise the ascent then the Craig y Fan Ddu
variation is better.

Paul
--

David wrote:

> Your 'Ultimate walk' looks the one if the weather permits and my
> companions are feeling up to it (and if I am)!

Start early and take your time over it. If it's a hot day don't forget
to carry plenty of water, I made that mistake when I did it.

> I was planning on walking from Libanus through Cwm Llwch, past the
> obelisk heading SE to Corn Du, then over Pen y Fan to Cribyn and
> heading NE
> to drop back down into the valley and head backW to Libanus. Is that
> not the 'horseshoe'/

I don't think I've ever seen an official description, but I thought it
started at Cwm Gwdi and followed the Cefn Cwm Llwch and Bryn Teg ridges,
but I may be wrong. There are a few different possible "horseshoe"
variations, it's not as clear cut as the Snowdon horseshoe for example.

My own personal horseshoe always started from the south at the Neuadd
Reservoirs, that's the route I've done most often, a shorter "western"
version of the ultimate walk.

> Anyway, you've given me some great options - thanks again.

No problem. Any thoughts on Fforest Fawr or Mynydd Du?

Paul
--

Paul wrote:

Any thoughts on Fforest Fawr or Mynydd Du?

-

Yes, I looked at the 'photos on your site. Spoilt for choice now!

Fan Brycheiniog looks a strong possibility. Might have to try to squeeze in
an extra day.

David

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:11:58 +0000 (UTC), "David Gibbins"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>If you're still communicating Paul, can you briefly

The answer would appear to be 'no' ;-)

Simon Caldwell <[email protected]> wrote
>On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 08:11:58 +0000 (UTC), "David Gibbins"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>If you're still communicating Paul, can you briefly

>The answer would appear to be 'no' ;-)

:)
--
Gordon

No, he replied - see below

---
news:[email protected]...

=====

=====

David wrote:

> Your 'Ultimate walk' looks the one if the weather permits and my
> companions are feeling up to it (and if I am)!

Start early and take your time over it. If it's a hot day don't forget
to carry plenty of water, I made that mistake when I did it.

> I was planning on walking from Libanus through Cwm Llwch, past the
> obelisk heading SE to Corn Du, then over Pen y Fan to Cribyn and
> heading NE
> to drop back down into the valley and head backW to Libanus. Is that
> not the 'horseshoe'/

I don't think I've ever seen an official description, but I thought it
started at Cwm Gwdi and followed the Cefn Cwm Llwch and Bryn Teg ridges,
but I may be wrong. There are a few different possible "horseshoe"
variations, it's not as clear cut as the Snowdon horseshoe for example.

My own personal horseshoe always started from the south at the Neuadd
Reservoirs, that's the route I've done most often, a shorter "western"
version of the ultimate walk.

> Anyway, you've given me some great options - thanks again.

No problem. Any thoughts on Fforest Fawr or Mynydd Du?

Paul
--
http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

* The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
* of violets, as David <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
* of golden sunlight, and announced:

>> I was planning on walking from Libanus through Cwm Llwch, past the
>> obelisk heading SE to Corn Du, then over Pen y Fan to Cribyn and
>> heading NE

The 'obelisk' is marked a such on the map, but it's much more than that.
When I went to investigate last year, it turned out to be a memorial to a
lad (IIRC 5 years old - David Jones?) that got lost and died there. The
memorial gives a moving account of the tradgedy.

Regards: Jim Ford

Jim Ford wrote on 4 Sep 2004 21:54:00 GMT....
> David <[email protected]>....
> >> I was planning on walking from Libanus through Cwm Llwch, past the
> >> obelisk heading SE to Corn Du, then over Pen y Fan to Cribyn and
> >> heading NE

> The 'obelisk' is marked a such on the map, but it's much more than that.
> When I went to investigate last year, it turned out to be a memorial to a
> lad (IIRC 5 years old - David Jones?) that got lost and died there. The
> memorial gives a moving account of the tradgedy.

Tommy Jones.

The inscription on the obelisk reads, "This obelisk marks the spot
where the body of Tommy Jones, aged 5, was found. He lost his way
between Cwm Llwch farm and the Login on the night of August 4th 1900.
After an anxious search of 29 days his remains were discovered on
September 1st. Erected by voluntary subscription."

[From http://www.walkscene.co.uk/Wales/Brecons/Penyfan3zz.htm
One of a number of references found by searching Google for "Tommy
Jones Obelisk"]

--
Tim Jackson
[email protected]lid
(Change '.invalid' to '.co.uk' to reply direct)
Absurd patents: visit http://www.patent.freeserve.co.uk

"Tim Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Tommy Jones.
>
> The inscription on the obelisk reads, "This obelisk marks the spot
> where the body of Tommy Jones, aged 5, was found. He lost his way
> between Cwm Llwch farm and the Login on the night of August 4th 1900.
> After an anxious search of 29 days his remains were discovered on
> September 1st. Erected by voluntary subscription."
>
> [From http://www.walkscene.co.uk/Wales/Brecons/Penyfan3zz.htm
> One of a number of references found by searching Google for "Tommy
> Jones Obelisk"]
>
> --
> Tim Jackson

Conjecture I know but it has been widely believed for many years now that
the story, as related on the obelisk, is a falsehood.

Tommy was visiting Cwm Llwch farm with his parents on a trip from the coal
mining valleys when he disappeared. The farm and the Login are just a
virtually level 400m apart. The spot where his body was eventually found is
some 3k away, entailing a stiffish climb of some 450m over rough ground.
Those that have climbed Pen y Fan from Cwm Llwch will appreciate what a pull
for a lost 5 year old it must have been.

He disappeared in good weather at the beginning of a relatively decent
August, weatherwise, not in the depths of mid winter, and the hills were
scoured by search parties before his body was eventually discovered at a
spot that had been passed by some of these parties on numerous occasions.

Wander away from the path leading to Llyn Cwm Llwch from the farm and at SO
000228 you come across the remains of a military rifle range which was
active from the Boer War until the end of WW1. There was a military
encampment set up here during the summer months, when it was constantly
manned, soldiers from the camp were actively involved in the search on a
more or less daily basis. Yet Tommy's body remained undiscovered for the
best part of a month.

It is firmly believed that young Tommy was abducted by the proverbial
"person or persons unknown" and his body eventually disposed of at the spot
where the obelisk was originally located, closer to the edge of the ridge
than where it is now.

Absolutely no proof of course but the shadow of suspicion falls firmly on
the occupants of the camp.

--
Gwyn
Reply to:- urw(dot)mail(dot)gwyn(at)xoxy(dot)net