Paul Saunders

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by David Gibbins, Sep 1, 2004.

  1. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    Ferlas Mor wrote on Sun, 5 Sep 2004 00:50:43 +0100....

    [Interesting variation on Tommy Jones story snipped]

    > It is firmly believed that young Tommy was abducted by the proverbial
    > "person or persons unknown" and his body eventually disposed of at the spot
    > where the obelisk was originally located, closer to the edge of the ridge
    > than where it is now.

    As I recall, some years ago the obelisk used to be located further
    away from the edge of the ridge, not closer. It was a few yards to
    the west of where it is now. Wasn't that the original position then?

    Not sure why it was moved closer to the ridge, but there was a lot of
    erosion around it so I assume it was related to that.

    --
    Tim Jackson
    [email protected]lid

  2. Ferlas Mor

    Ferlas Mor Guest

    "Tim Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Ferlas Mor wrote on Sun, 5 Sep 2004 00:50:43 +0100....
    >
    > [Interesting variation on Tommy Jones story snipped]
    >
    > > It is firmly believed that young Tommy was abducted by the proverbial
    > > "person or persons unknown" and his body eventually disposed of at the

    spot
    > > where the obelisk was originally located, closer to the edge of the

    ridge
    > > than where it is now.

    > As I recall, some years ago the obelisk used to be located further
    > away from the edge of the ridge, not closer. It was a few yards to
    > the west of where it is now. Wasn't that the original position then?
    >
    > Not sure why it was moved closer to the ridge, but there was a lot of
    > erosion around it so I assume it was related to that.
    >
    > --
    > Tim Jackson

    You are correct on both counts Tim, the obelisk was originally further away
    from the ridge than it is now, not closer ( aplogies for misplacing it) and
    it was moved out of the quagmire that had developed around it due to visitor
    erosion.

    Still, it's a good story though.

    --
    Gwyn
    Reply to:- urw(dot)mail(dot)gwyn(at)xoxy(dot)net

  3. Jim Ford

    Jim Ford Guest

    * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
    * of violets, as Ferlas Mor <[email protected]> descended on a shaft
    * of golden sunlight, and announced:

    > Still, it's a good story though.

    But does anyone agree with me that it ought to be marked on the map as
    'memorial', rather than 'obelisk'.

    Regards: Jim Ford

  4. Tim Jackson

    Tim Jackson Guest

    Jim Ford wrote on 5 Sep 2004 12:21:19 GMT....

    [Tommy Jones obelisk]
    > But does anyone agree with me that it ought to be marked on the map as
    > 'memorial', rather than 'obelisk'.

    I think both terms are correct.

    --
    Tim Jackson
    [email protected]lid
    (Change '.invalid' to '.co.uk' to reply direct)
    Absurd patents: visit http://www.patent.freeserve.co.uk

  5. David

    David Guest

    It should obviously be memorial - but are there any precedents for this? I
    cant remember seeing 'memorial' on OS's - I expect we'll now be flooded with
    hundreds of examples!

    "Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
    > * of violets, as Ferlas Mor <[email protected]> descended on a

    shaft
    > * of golden sunlight, and announced:
    >
    > > Still, it's a good story though.

    > But does anyone agree with me that it ought to be marked on the map as
    > 'memorial', rather than 'obelisk'.
    >
    > Regards: Jim Ford

  6. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Tim Jackson <[email protected]> wrote
    >Jim Ford wrote on 5 Sep 2004 12:21:19 GMT....
    >
    >[Tommy Jones obelisk]
    >> But does anyone agree with me that it ought to be marked on the map as
    >> 'memorial', rather than 'obelisk'.

    >I think both terms are correct.

    I thought that "obelisk" described the object physically, whilst
    "memorial" described it's purpose?
    --
    Gordon

  7. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Wed, 1 Sep 2004 23:37:19 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I think I did well to last a month without posting...

    Not for nothing is August commonly referred to as the silly season :)

    >Got a lot of stuff done too

    Did you actually get any walking done ?

    --
    She kept saying I didn't listen to her, or something.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  8. John Laird wrote:

    >> Got a lot of stuff done too

    > Did you actually get any walking done ?

    Very little, but I got loads of other stuff done, mainly sorting and
    organisation of various types, like finally backing up 17 gigabytes of
    digital images onto CD. Just as well I'd stored them in triplicate on
    three different hard drives, I found about a dozen corrupted RAW files
    (checked every one with Photoshop Album & the Photoshop browser before
    writing them to CD - checks the actual RAW file rather than just the
    ..thm thumbnail file). No corrupted jpegs though, I wonder why that was?
    Is there something about RAW files that makes them more prone to
    corruption?

    Anyway, the weather was mostly uninspiring and not particularly
    photogenic throughout August, and I've never cared for summer walking
    much, so there wasn't really much reason to go out. But now that summer
    is or isn't over, the best time of year is rapidly approaching,
    improving through Septmeber, and well, we all know what I think of
    October, don't we?

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  9. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Mon, 6 Sep 2004 02:55:27 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there something about RAW files that makes them more prone to
    >corruption?

    Other than being physically larger, I can't think why. I'm not aware of any
    on-disk file formats that have built-in redundancy for error correction from
    bit loss, although it is perfectly technically possible.

    A bit of a mystery.

    >Anyway, the weather was mostly uninspiring and not particularly
    >photogenic throughout August, and I've never cared for summer walking
    >much, so there wasn't really much reason to go out. But now that summer
    >is or isn't over, the best time of year is rapidly approaching,
    >improving through Septmeber, and well, we all know what I think of
    >October, don't we?

    Oh lordy is it nearly that time of year again ?! Yes, August was a bit
    poor, although I don't know about S Wales, but if you get out and about a
    bit it is normally a good time to top up the rugged, weatherbeaten look. No
    serious walker should be mistaken for a pasty-faced computer geek who never
    ventures outside during daylight hours. Imho :)

    --
    Talk is cheap, because supply exceeds demand.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  10. John Laird

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is there something about RAW files that makes them more prone to
    >corruption?

    Other than being physically larger, I can't think why. I'm not aware of any
    on-disk file formats that have built-in redundancy for error correction from
    bit loss, although it is perfectly technically possible.

    A bit of a mystery.

    >Anyway, the weather was mostly uninspiring and not particularly
    >photogenic throughout August, and I've never cared for summer walking
    >much, so there wasn't really much reason to go out. But now that summer
    >is or isn't over, the best time of year is rapidly approaching,
    >improving through Septmeber, and well, we all know what I think of
    >October, don't we?

    Oh lordy is it nearly that time of year again ?! Yes, August was a bit
    poor, although I don't know about S Wales, but if you get out and about a
    bit it is normally a good time to top up the rugged, weatherbeaten look. No
    serious walker should be mistaken for a pasty-faced computer geek who never
    ventures outside during daylight hours. Imho :)

    --
    Talk is cheap, because supply exceeds demand.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  11. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Paul Saunders <[email protected]> wrote

    >Anyway, the weather was mostly uninspiring and not particularly
    >photogenic throughout August, and I've never cared for summer walking
    >much, so there wasn't really much reason to go out. But now that summer
    >is or isn't over, the best time of year is rapidly approaching,
    >improving through Septmeber, and well, we all know what I think of
    >October, don't we?

    Aaah yes! Halloween - your Dark Side, and all that....
    --
    Gordon

  12. spongebob

    spongebob Guest

    "Jim Ford" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > * The air of uk.rec.walking was filled with the delicate perfume
    > * of violets, as Ferlas Mor <[email protected]> descended

    on a shaft
    > * of golden sunlight, and announced:
    >
    > > Still, it's a good story though.

    > But does anyone agree with me that it ought to be marked on the map

    as
    > 'memorial', rather than 'obelisk'.

    Depends, a memorial is an object or structure built in order to
    commemorate a famous person or event, An obelisk is a (tall) four
    sided pillar built in order to commemorate...etc,etc.

    Graham

  13. The Reids

    The Reids Guest

    Following up to Paul Saunders

    >> Welcome back; will you be stopping for long?

    >Not my intention. I broke the silence because there's one thing I
    >particularly want to mention, not to go back to my former ways.

    hmmm, they say addicts must stay away totally, so if you can post
    a bit then go off for a walk or something..............
    --
    Mike Reid
    If god wanted us to be vegetarians he wouldn't have made animals out of meat.

  14. John Laird

    John Laird Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 19:37:17 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Gordon wrote:
    >
    >> Aaah yes! Halloween - your Dark Side, and all that....

    >Indeed. Best time of year to go wild camping, on a bare mountain...

    Doesn't the Mussorgsky frighten the wildlife away ?

    --
    She kept saying I didn't listen to her, or something.

    Mail john rather than nospam...

  15. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    The Reids <[email protected]> wrote
    >Following up to Paul Saunders
    >
    >>> Welcome back; will you be stopping for long?

    >>Not my intention. I broke the silence because there's one thing I
    >>particularly want to mention, not to go back to my former ways.

    >hmmm, they say addicts must stay away totally, so if you can post
    >a bit then go off for a walk or something..............

    I'd say he is right back to his old style.
    Newsgroups Anonymous is Thataway >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    --
    Gordon

  16. The Reids wrote:

    > hmmm, they say addicts must stay away totally,

    I know. Right now I'm only posting in a few marked threads and not even
    looking at new threads. Hopefully once these fizzle out I'll be gone
    again...

    > so if you can post
    > a bit then go off for a walk or something..............

    That's the idea. Now that my favourite time of year is more or less
    here, I'll have plenty of incentive to bugger off camping more often.

    Paul
    --
    http://www.wilderness-wales.co.uk
    http://www.wildwales.fsnet.co.uk

  17. Judith

    Judith Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 22:57:16 +0100, "Paul Saunders"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Right now I'm only posting in a few marked threads and not even
    >looking at new threads.

    But what about that new thread "Digital Camera with built-in GPS".

    Surely you want to at least have a peek?

    :)

    Judith

  18. John Laird wrote:

    >> Indeed. Best time of year to go wild camping, on a bare mountain...

    > Doesn't the Mussorgsky frighten the wildlife away ?

    :)

    I was very pleased that the original version was performed at the Proms
    a few nights ago, specifically "St. John's Night on the Bare Mountain"
    rather than Rimsky's over played "Night on Bare Mountain" version. I
    prefer the original myself, maybe because we hear it so rarely. The
    Radio Times did not make this fact clear though, giving the incorrect
    title. Tut tut!

    Paul