Paul Sherwin's Word of the Day

Mark Janeba

Guest
"Infernal"

Do you suppose it's some sort of secret code?

Mark

Mark Janeba wrote:
> "Infernal"
>
> Do you suppose it's some sort of secret code?
>
> Mark

Old fashioned word often used in Tom Swift books in the last century.

Jaybee wrote:
> Mark Janeba wrote:
>
>> "Infernal"
>>
>> Do you suppose it's some sort of secret code?
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Old fashioned word often used in Tom Swift books in the last century.

So why does Sherwin use it so much, so suddenly, today? Secret message
to Johan, maybe - "Time to attack"? :)

Mark

Mark Janeba wrote:
> Jaybee wrote:
>
>> Mark Janeba wrote:
>>
>>> "Infernal"
>>>
>>> Do you suppose it's some sort of secret code?
>>>
>>> Mark
>>>

>> Old fashioned word often used in Tom Swift books in the last century.

> So why does Sherwin use it so much, so suddenly, today? Secret message
> to Johan, maybe - "Time to attack"? :)
>
> Mark

Infernal
Of or pertaining to or suitable for the lower regions, inhabited, according to the
ancients, by the dead; pertaining to Pluto's realm of the dead, the Tartarus of the
ancients.
Of or pertaining to, resembling, or inhabiting, hell; suitable for hell, or to the
character of the inhabitants of hell; hellish; diabolical; as, infernal spirits, or
conduct.
An inhabitant of the infernal regions; also, the place itself.

Jaybee wrote:
> Mark Janeba wrote:
>> Jaybee wrote:

>>> Old fashioned word often used in Tom Swift books in the last
>>> century.

>> So why does Sherwin use it so much, so suddenly, today? Secret
>> message to Johan, maybe - "Time to attack"? :)
>>
>> Mark
>>

> Infernal
> Of or pertaining to or suitable for the lower regions, inhabited,
> according to the ancients, by the dead; pertaining to Pluto's realm
> of the dead, the Tartarus of the ancients.
> Of or pertaining to, resembling, or inhabiting, hell; suitable for
> hell, or to the character of the inhabitants of hell; hellish;
> diabolical; as, infernal spirits, or conduct.
> An inhabitant of the infernal regions; also, the place itself.

This of course comes via. inferno -> hell, inferno simply meaning fire,
though you'd expect to see the word in connection with a particularly
impressive or destructive fire. As a result you see 'infernal' without the
religious reference on occasion, mainly pre-Dante.

Peter

Peter Allen wrote:
> Jaybee wrote:
>
>>Mark Janeba wrote:

>>>So why does Sherwin use it so much, so suddenly, today? Secret
>>>message to Johan, maybe - "Time to attack"? :)
>>>
>>>Mark
>>>

>>Infernal
>>Of or pertaining to or suitable for the lower regions, inhabited,
>>according to the ancients, by the dead; pertaining to Pluto's realm
>>of the dead, the Tartarus of the ancients.
>>Of or pertaining to, resembling, or inhabiting, hell; suitable for
>>hell, or to the character of the inhabitants of hell; hellish;
>>diabolical; as, infernal spirits, or conduct.
>>An inhabitant of the infernal regions; also, the place itself.

> This of course comes via. inferno -> hell, inferno simply meaning fire,
> though you'd expect to see the word in connection with a particularly
> impressive or destructive fire. As a result you see 'infernal' without the
> religious reference on occasion, mainly pre-Dante.

Thanks, guys, I know what the word means. I was asking why it was
suddenly Sherwin's favorite word - he hasn't used it much before.
Usually he relies on the tried-and-true: "Absolutely remarkable" (or
"ABsoLUTEly" used with any other word) "suitcase of courage", "blow the
race apart", "mano a mano", "hanging on for grim life," and so on.

Then there's my favorite Sherwinism for this year, from stage 2,
speaking about sprinters: "When it comes down to the final fifty
meters, they shut off their brains."

Every sprint finish thereafter, somewhere in the last kilometer, my
teenager shouts "They've shut off their brains!"

Mark

Mark Janeba wrote:
> Peter Allen wrote:
>
>> Jaybee wrote:

>>> Infernal
>>> Of or pertaining to or suitable for the lower regions, inhabited,
>>> according to the ancients, by the dead; pertaining to Pluto's realm
>>> of the dead, the Tartarus of the ancients.
>>> Of or pertaining to, resembling, or inhabiting, hell; suitable for
>>> hell, or to the character of the inhabitants of hell; hellish;
>>> diabolical; as, infernal spirits, or conduct.
>>> An inhabitant of the infernal regions; also, the place itself.

>> This of course comes via. inferno -> hell, inferno simply meaning
>> fire, though you'd expect to see the word in connection with a
>> particularly impressive or destructive fire. As a result you see
>> 'infernal' without the religious reference on occasion, mainly pre-Dante.

> Thanks, guys, I know what the word means. I was asking why it was
> suddenly Sherwin's favorite word - he hasn't used it much before.
> Usually he relies on the tried-and-true: "Absolutely remarkable" (or
> "ABsoLUTEly" used with any other word) "suitcase of courage", "blow the
> race apart", "mano a mano", "hanging on for grim life," and so on.
>
> Then there's my favorite Sherwinism for this year, from stage 2,
> speaking about sprinters: "When it comes down to the final fifty
> meters, they shut off their brains."
>
> Every sprint finish thereafter, somewhere in the last kilometer, my
> teenager shouts "They've shut off their brains!"

I think he's just rotating for variety. His other catchphrases are "in
the red zone."

-e