Paul Smith

On 15 Mar, 19:36, Stimpy <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:18:16 +0000, Bruce Fletcher (Stronsay, Orkney) wrote
>
> > Sir Jeremy wrote:
> >> Never caused an accident in my life. Its the dickheads who think that
> >> driving at or below the speed limit makes them safe drivers who cause
> >> the accidents

> > As you would appear to be a potential leader writer for the "Feudal
> > Times & Reactionary Herald" perhaps you should have written "Never
> > _knowingly_ caused an accident in my life".

> ...but, no doubt, he's seen many accidents happen in his rear-view mirror

Wrong on both counts

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:15:34 GMT, "John Sullivan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>> If the place is that small what's the point of having a car?

>There are those who, while preferring to walk, are no longer able so to do.

Exactly I arthritic knees that is the only reason I have a car
compared to the mileage some people do in a week my mileage is
miniscule in comparison most weeks only around 35/40 miles .

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:41:08 -0700 (PDT), Sir Jeremy
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 15 Mar, 19:36, Stimpy <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > As you would appear to be a potential leader writer for the "Feudal
>> > Times & Reactionary Herald" perhaps you should have written "Never
>> > _knowingly_ caused an accident in my life".

>> ...but, no doubt, he's seen many accidents happen in his rear-view mirror

>Wrong on both counts

You don't use the mirrors ?

Ivor Jones wrote:

> "826" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> : On 15 Mar, 10:18, Sir Jeremy <[email protected]> wrote:
> : > On 14 Mar, 19:39, [email protected] wrote:
> : >
> : > > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:10:03 +0000 (UTC), C J Minton
> : > > <[email protected]> wrote:
> : >
> : > > >Drive at the speed limit.
> : >
> : > > From what I have seen there seems to be only one car
> : > > religiously sticking to the 30 mile an hour speed
> : > > limit in my area and that is the one I drive .
> : >
> : > Its dickheads like you who cause all the accidents
> :
> : Having read your profile I think pots, kettles and black
> : come to mind, it's dickheads like you that caused the
> : creation of the speed limit.
>
> None of which has anything to do with buses so please keep it out of
> uk.transport.buses if you please.

Judging by the speed some buses come down my street I beg to differ

--
Abo

Stimpy wrote:
> On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:57:54 +0000, 826 wrote
>> Having read your profile I think pots, kettles and black come to mind,
>> it's dickheads like you that caused the creation of the speed limit.

> Allegedly, it was 'Motor' testing an AC Cobra coupe on the M1 at a speed in
> excess of 180mph that was the last straw

The speed of the Cobra changes almost every time this is mentioned
somewhere, the highest being 196mph...

--
Abo

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 09:30:55 +0000, Abo wrote

>>> Having read your profile I think pots, kettles and black come to mind,
>>> it's dickheads like you that caused the creation of the speed limit.

>> Allegedly, it was 'Motor' testing an AC Cobra coupe on the M1 at a speed in
>> excess of 180mph that was the last straw

> The speed of the Cobra changes almost every time this is mentioned
> somewhere, the highest being 196mph...

Indeed... which is why I stated "in excess of 180mph". The actual speed is
irrelevant to the anecdote.

By the same token, I expected someone to pull me up on the fact that it
wasn't a Cobra. It was a prototype coupe based on the Cobra running gear.
This is, of course, also irrelevant to the anecdote :)

Stimpy <[email protected]> wrote:

> I expected someone to pull me up on the fact that it wasn't a Cobra

I was going to, then apathy took hold. It seems as if 196mph is the
currently accepted number but I can only find references to anecdote.

In message <[email protected]>, Stimpy
<[email protected]> writes
>On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 15:57:54 +0000, 826 wrote
>>
>> Having read your profile I think pots, kettles and black come to mind,
>> it's dickheads like you that caused the creation of the speed limit.

>Allegedly, it was 'Motor' testing an AC Cobra coupe on the M1 at a speed in
>excess of 180mph that was the last straw

The version I keep hearing of this story was that it was Aston Martin
testing their cars.

--
Ed Banger

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:37:38 +0000, Ed Banger wrote

>>> Having read your profile I think pots, kettles and black come to mind,
>>> it's dickheads like you that caused the creation of the speed limit.

>> Allegedly, it was 'Motor' testing an AC Cobra coupe on the M1 at a speed in
>> excess of 180mph that was the last straw

> The version I keep hearing of this story was that it was Aston Martin
> testing their cars.

No, it was definitely a Cobra prototype. An 1963 Aston would have struggled
to reach 150 :)

[email protected] wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 18:10:03 +0000 (UTC), C J Minton <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>> Drive at the speed limit.
>>

> From what I have seen there seems to be only one car religiously
> sticking to the 30 mile an hour speed limit in my area and that is the
> one I drive .

Don't know where you live, but I find it quite challenging to stick to
30mph round some of the tighter corners and narrower roads in places
I've driven.

-dan

While doing pass plus, I was told off for religiously keeping to the
speed limit enforced by average speed cameras while joining the A14
instead of speeding to get on safer then driving under the limit to
lower the average.

Just goes to show you that the government is willing to endanger lives
to get a few £s in revenue.

I generally drive within the prosecution tolerances (I'll get off the
gas if I go over but I'm relucant to brake when I don't need too) but
I'm not afraid to speed when it's safer too. 82 in a 70 is the worst
"offense".

Nick W wrote:
> While doing pass plus, I was told off for religiously keeping to the
> speed limit enforced by average speed cameras while joining the A14
> instead of speeding to get on safer then driving under the limit to
> lower the average.
>
> Just goes to show you that the government is willing to endanger lives
> to get a few £s in revenue.

I don't see what your problem is there - the average speed cameras used
do give you the leeway to do things like go above the limit slightly if
you need to. If the camera was an old-style fixed one, then you couldn't
do the manoeuvre your pass plus instructor recommended without being
ticketed. The average speed cameras sound like a fairer system to me.

I'd much rather have a well signed average speed camera controlled
section of roadworks than one with random gatsos; that way everybody
does a smoother speed rather than accelerating and standing on the brakes.

"Nick W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]

[snip]

: I generally drive within the prosecution tolerances (I'll
: get off the gas if I go over but I'm relucant to brake
: when I don't need too) but I'm not afraid to speed when
: it's safer too. 82 in a 70 is the worst "offense".

Or even offence. We're not Americans just yet.

Ivor