Paula discusses her defeat

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Donovan Rebbechi, Sep 25, 2004.

  1. In a recent interview, the worlds fastest female marathoner, Paula Radcliffe,
    discussed her breakdown at the olympic marathon. Recently, there has been
    a public feud between members of her coaching staff, with data analyst Prof
    Wankel attributing the performance to "inadequate analysis". Wankel points
    to GPS readings that show that her second mile split on a 15 mile training run
    was 5 seconds slower than normal, pointing to overtraining, and the motion
    sensor on her head showing greater than normal bobbing. Wankel also argued
    that the failure of Radcliffe's coach to supply her with her GPS unit
    interfered with her pacing. Pressed for comment, Radcliffe expressed guarded
    support for Wankel's argument -- "yeah, it was weird running without a GPS--
    without a speedometer, I had no way to know how fast I was running, so I
    couldn't analyse my performance. Maybe the uncertainty was a factor in
    quitting, but deep down, my gut tells me that I just fucked up".

    Ambassadors of the (rec.)running community also shared their insights. Doug
    Freese, and elderly runner grumbled "damn kids, always redlining. I told 'em no
    good would come of it." An American of Scottish descent dressed in a kilt
    calling himself "TheBill" mumbled some obscenities in an incomprehensible
    Scottish dialect before tending to an overly affectionate Scotch Terrier that
    wrapped itself around his leg. And rec.running form guru Austin "Ozzie" Gontang
    pointed to form problems, making a case for the pose method and barefoot
    running. Then the interviews were rudely interrupted when a skinny old man in
    tights came speeding past, and yelled at the pundits in a high pitched English
    accent "shut up and run!". At that point, the rec.runners adjusted their
    camelbacks, GPS units and GPS antennas, SDMs, and took off, strung out behind
    the mysterious little englishman.

    Cheers,
    --
    Donovan Rebbechi
    http://pegasus.rutgers.edu/~elflord/

    Tags:

  2. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    Donovan Rebbechi <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In a recent interview, the worlds fastest female marathoner, Paula
    > Radcliffe, discussed her breakdown at the olympic marathon.

    <snip>

    Thanks for the laugh.

    Phil M.

  3. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >n a recent interview, the worlds fastest female marathoner, Paula Radcliffe,
    >discussed her breakdown at the olympic marathon. Recently, there has been
    >a public feud between members of her coaching staff, with data analyst Prof
    >Wankel

    WANKEL??? What a miserable childhood he mut've had.

    >attributing the performance to "inadequate analysis". Wankel points
    >to GPS readings that show that her second mile split on a 15 mile training
    >run
    >was 5 seconds slower than normal, pointing to overtraining, and the motion
    >sensor on her head showing greater than normal bobbing. Wankel also argued
    >that the failure of Radcliffe's coach to supply her with her GPS unit
    >interfered with her pacing. Pressed for comment, Radcliffe expressed guarded
    >support for Wankel's argument -- "yeah, it was weird running without a GPS--
    >without a speedometer, I had no way to know how fast I was running, so I
    >couldn't analyse my performance. Maybe the uncertainty was a factor in
    >quitting, but deep down, my gut tells me that I just fucked up".

    Isn't this a shame? Our great runners are reduced to running with a fucking
    machine, or they breakdown. She was 15 FUCKING SECONDS off her pace, and she
    "just knew she'd fuckedup" ??? What complete and utter BULLSHIT! She's a
    quitter bitch, period.

    >Ambassadors of the (rec.)running community also shared their insights. Doug
    >Freese, and elderly runner grumbled "damn kids, always redlining. I told 'em
    >no
    >good would come of it." An American of Scottish descent dressed in a kilt
    >calling himself "TheBill" mumbled some obscenities in an incomprehensible
    >Scottish dialect before tending to an overly affectionate Scotch Terrier that
    >wrapped itself around his leg.

    Thanks for bringing your dog/mate along Donovan, he was the best piece of ass I
    had in a long time.

  4. On 2004-09-26, Barf Bag <[email protected]> wrote:
    > WANKEL??? What a miserable childhood he mut've had.

    > Isn't this a shame? Our great runners are reduced to running with a fucking
    > machine, or they breakdown.

    I think you've been trolled, troll.

    Have a good one,
    --