"Pave Bicyclists"

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Thornhill, Apr 7, 2003.

  1. Thornhill

    Thornhill Guest

    From Asheville Citizen-Times, Monday, April 7, 2003, page B1:

    (quoting the entire article, since it's not on their website)

    Tired of hearing bicyclists push for more road space, money and rights, Roy Thomas of Leceister
    (sic) said he's willing to wage a one-man campaign against the nuisance. Sporting a bumper sticker
    on his truck that tells people to "pave bicyclists" Thomas said cyclists obstruct traffic and
    create hazards. "I try not to be hateful about it," Thomas said. "I try to talk to people when I
    read something about bicyclist rights and try to explain my views in a polite and courteous way."

    Here's a link to the "Letters to the Editor" section of the newspaper's website:
    http://www.citizen-times.com/contact/ltr_editor.shtml. Note that this was not in the "opinion" or
    "letters to the editor" section, but was labeled as a news article, despite the lack of "reporting"
    -- no effort to inform the readers of the laws of NC as related to bicycling (available at
    http://www.ncdot.org/transit/bicycle/laws/law_intro.html, in case you're interested), or to
    challenge Mr. Thomas on his bumper sticker's essential call to violence against cyclists.

    Mike Thornhill Alexander, NC

    ---

  2. Psycholist

    Psycholist Guest

    Here's the letter I sent to the editor:

    I was shocked that you published the anti-bicyclist views of Mr. Roy Thomas in such an unbalanced
    manner. By law, whether Mr. Thomas likes it or not, bicyclist have a right to the road and to be
    given the same right-of-way as any other vehicle on the road. You didn't bother to point that out.

    Also in today's news is the fact that the Centers for Disease Control now consider 40% of our kids
    to be obese. Here in the Southeast we have among the highest levels of stroke and heart attack
    because of lousy diet and exercise habits. Then we have the high cost of oil and, particularly in
    your area, the harmful impacts on the mountain environment from acid rain which results, in part,
    from vehicle emissions. Anyone with a reasonable intellect would see wisdom in encouraging more
    cycling instead of publishing ignorant, anti-bicyling trash.

    But worst of all, Mr. Thomas' bumper sticker promotes violence against cyclists. You've amplified
    that call to violence by publishing such a lopsided "news" item without any presentation of the
    opposing view.

    In October of 2002 I was run down by a car while cycling. Encouraging people to assault bicyclists
    with their automobiles and declaring cyclists a "nuisance" (your word, not Mr. Thomas')is a very
    serious and potentially life-threatening matter.

    Drivers and cyclists need to share the road. It's the law. You need to take your editorial
    responsibilities more seriously.

    Robert L. Chambers

    LET ME KNOW IF IT SEES THE LIGHT OF DAY. I HOPE WE DON'T TOUCH OFF A CAR/BICYCLE WAR IN THAT NECK OF
    THE WOODS. I GET UP THERE NOW AND THEN -- ESPECIALLY AROUND MT. MITCHELL TIME.

    "Thornhill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > From Asheville Citizen-Times, Monday, April 7, 2003, page B1:
    >
    > (quoting the entire article, since it's not on their website)
    >
    > Tired of hearing bicyclists push for more road space, money and rights, Roy Thomas of Leceister
    > (sic) said he's willing to wage a one-man campaign against the nuisance. Sporting a bumper
    > sticker on his truck that tells people to "pave bicyclists" Thomas said cyclists obstruct
    > traffic and create hazards. "I try not to be hateful about it," Thomas said. "I try to talk to
    people
    > when I read something about bicyclist rights and try to explain my views
    in
    > a polite and courteous way."

    > Here's a link to the "Letters to the Editor" section of the newspaper's website:
    > http://www.citizen-times.com/contact/ltr_editor.shtml. Note
    that
    > this was not in the "opinion" or "letters to the editor" section, but was labeled as a news
    > article, despite the lack of "reporting" -- no effort to inform the readers of the laws of NC as
    > related to bicycling (available at http://www.ncdot.org/transit/bicycle/laws/law_intro.html, in
    > case you're interested), or to challenge Mr. Thomas on his bumper sticker's essential call to
    > violence against cyclists.
    >
    > Mike Thornhill Alexander, NC
    >

    > ---

  3. Maybe Mr. Thomas should bone up on his history. Bicyclists were on the roads before cars were. About
    50 years, to be exact (69, if you consider the Draisienne (hobby horse) to be the first bicycle).

    The Ford Motorcar Company was started by an ex-bicycle mechanic. R.E. Olds and Henry M. Leyland
    (creator of Great Britain's largest automobile company) also started as bicycle manufacturers.

    One of the greater forces leading to the creation of better (read: paved) roads was the League Of
    American Wheelmen (now the League Of American Bicyclists).

    The Automobile Association Of America (AAA) was originally a bicycle club.

    The tires on his car were invented by a physician named James Dunlop, to smooth the ride for his
    son's bicycle. The tubeless tire was invented for bicycles in the late 1890's, again, fifty years
    before it was ever used on an automobile.

    His automatic transmission (assuming he has one) evolved from the internal hub gearing of a bicycle.

    Disc brakes are a direct evolution of the bicycle's rim brakes. Drum brakes from the back-pedalling
    "coaster-brake".

    James Starley (Rover safety bicycle) invented the differential that makes it possible for Mr. Thomas
    to drive in anything other than a straight line.

    It may interest you to know, Mr. Thomas, that although they are not all ridden at the same time,
    more bicycles are owned in this country than automobiles. In fact, if you take the entire world into
    account, that ratio is over 2:1.

    It is a simple a matter of fact, Mr Thomas, that WE were here first, it is YOU (cars) that have
    created a hazard for US!

    >Most of these facts were obtained from

    Scientific American, May, 1973

  4. Chris Zacho "The Wheelman" wrote:

    > It is a simple a matter of fact, Mr Thomas, that WE were here first, it is YOU (cars) that have
    > created a hazard for US!

    Those where very interesting facts and does put things in a different perspective doesn't
    it? Thanks.
    --
    Perre

    Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

  5. Ron Hardin

    Ron Hardin Guest

    It's Latin. It means ``Be frightened of bicyclists.''
    --
    Ron Hardin [email protected]

  6. Ron Hardin wrote:
    > It's Latin. It means ``Be frightened of bicyclists.''

    ;-) Don't we wish.
    --

  7. Ron Hardin <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > It's Latin. It means ``Be frightened of bicyclists.''

    Cave velocipedites!

    Nescio quomodo transferendum sit in Latinam "bicyclist" ex Anglice; conatus sum tantum haec verbum
    deducere quam optimum possit. Scio "pedites," id est dicere, milites qui ad proelium ambulant
    pedibus, derivatum esse de "pes," item "equites" de "equus,". Quaecumque ita sint, suppono
    "velocipedites" derivatum esse de "velocipes." Si quis meliorem solutionem vel neologismum
    adveniat--et bene scio aliquos in hoc foro linguam Latinam iam cognoscere-- in hoc foro publicatum
    sit ad augendam scientiam nostram communam.

    -Lodovicus Guzmannensis

    Lingua Latina non omnibus mortua est; Haud studui nequiquam...