Paved roads in Wales

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stephan Schaefe, Apr 30, 2003.

  1. I'm planning a trip to South Wales with my racing bike. I'm not sure if the small roads printed on
    my maps are paved or not.

    Examples:
    1) LLanwrtd Wells (15 miles NW of Brecon) to Tragaron (another 20 miles NW)
    2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon) to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)

    Or, in case someone uses the same maps: Can I expect the following roads to be paved, or at least in
    a condition good enough for a racing bike?

    A) Small white roads in Ordnance Survey, Map 6 "Wales/West Midlands",
    1:250000 scale.
    B)Small red roads in Collins Road Atlas Britain, 1:200000 scale.

    Thanks,

    Stephan

    Tags:

  2. Chris French

    Chris French Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Stephan Schaefer
    <[email protected]> writes
    >I'm planning a trip to South Wales with my racing bike. I'm not sure if the small roads printed on
    >my maps are paved or not.
    >
    >Examples:
    >1) LLanwrtd Wells (15 miles NW of Brecon) to Tragaron (another 20 miles NW)
    >2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon) to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)
    >

    >Or, in case someone uses the same maps: Can I expect the following roads to be paved, or at least
    >in a condition good enough for a racing bike?
    >
    >A)Small white roads in Ordnance Survey, Map 6 "Wales/West Midlands",
    >1:250000 scale.

    Haven't got direct experience of those roads, but AIUI, and IME the 'white roads' on the 1:250000
    maps are paved roads, basically the unclassified roads. It's more likely to be the case that you'll
    find roads on the ground that aren't shown on these maps.

    This isn't the case on larger scale maps, on the 1:50,000 scale landranger maps then white roads on
    those may indeed be rough tracks, if they are paved unclassified roads then they are marked in
    yellow. (you can compare these on the OS website for example if you want - look for the 'Getta-map'
    service to view sections of the maps, or somewhere like Streetmap or multimap.

    >B)Small red roads in Collins Road Atlas Britain, 1:200000 scale.

    Don't use those
    --
    Chris French, Leeds

  3. Marc

    Marc Guest

    Stephan Schaefer <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm planning a trip to South Wales with my racing bike. I'm not sure if the small roads printed on
    > my maps are paved or not.
    >
    > Examples:
    > 1) LLanwrtd Wells (15 miles NW of Brecon) to Tragaron (another 20 miles NW)

    Llanwrtd Wells to Tregaron, via Abergwesyn ? It's tarmac all the way but I wouldn't fancy going up (
    or down ) the Devil's staircase.

    >2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon)
    > to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)

    Yes.

    --
    Marc Tabards, banners and signs for fundraising events and charities
    http://www.jaceeprint.demon.co.uk/

  4. In news:[email protected], Stephan Schaefer
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > I'm planning a trip to South Wales with my racing bike. I'm not sure if the small roads printed on
    > my maps are paved or not.
    >
    > Examples:
    > 1) LLanwrtd Wells (15 miles NW of Brecon) to Tragaron (another 20 miles NW)
    > 2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon) to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)

    They're both yellow on a Landranger (OS 1:50000) map, so they'll be paved

    > Or, in case someone uses the same maps: Can I expect the following roads to be paved, or at least
    > in a condition good enough for a racing bike?
    >
    > A)Small white roads in Ordnance Survey, Map 6 "Wales/West Midlands",
    > 1:250000 scale.
    > B)Small red roads in Collins Road Atlas Britain, 1:200000 scale.

    I would be pretty certain that any map of that scale in Britain (Certainly England & Wales) would
    only show paved roads

    Ambrose

  5. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Ambrose Nankivell
    <[email protected]> typed:

    > They're both yellow on a Landranger (OS 1:50000) map, so they'll be paved

    Don't bet on it. I was riding near Lake Vyrnwy in Wales with an OS 1:50,000 map I had just bought
    locally. The "yellow" road over the top from Abertridwr to Penygarnedd became gradually less and
    less intact breaking down into a rocky track for about 3 miles across the hill top - an interesting
    ride on a road bike with 23mm wide100psi tyres!. In later editions of the map it got downgraded to a
    white road.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

  6. Eatmorepies

    Eatmorepies Guest

    > Llanwrtd Wells to Tregaron, via Abergwesyn ? It's tarmac all the way but I wouldn't fancy going up
    > ( or down ) the Devil's staircase.
    >
    > >2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon)
    > > to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)
    >
    > Yes.

    Nothing wrong with the Staircase - just makes me puff and pant a lot.

    John

  7. Mark

    Mark Guest

    "Eatmorepies" wrote

    > > Llanwrtd Wells to Tregaron, via Abergwesyn ? It's tarmac all the way but I wouldn't fancy going
    > > up ( or down ) the Devil's staircase.
    > >
    > > >2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon)
    > > > to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)
    > >
    > > Yes.
    > >
    > Nothing wrong with the Staircase - just makes me puff and pant a lot.
    >
    > John

    I rather enjoyed the Staircase as well, although with rear panniers I thought I was going to go over
    backwards!

    --
    mark

  8. Si Davies

    Si Davies Guest

    "mark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Eatmorepies" wrote
    > > > Llanwrtd Wells to Tregaron, via Abergwesyn ? It's tarmac all the way
    but
    > > > I wouldn't fancy going up ( or down ) the Devil's staircase.
    > > > Yes.
    > > Nothing wrong with the Staircase - just makes me puff and pant a lot. John
    > I rather enjoyed the Staircase as well, although with rear panniers I thought I was going to go
    > over backwards!
    > --
    > mark

    it's fine as long as it's not damp, then you get all that green slime on it under the trees and when
    your bike is pointing upwards at that angle, wheel spin is no fun :-(

    Going up it a year or three back, at the bottom section I could hear a weird noise from the top,
    getting louder and louder, sounded like two people screaming, strange I thought, then round one of
    the corners comes a fully loaded tandem doing warp factor 9, the screams got hideously loud near the
    bottom...followed by the sounds of a loud argument.

  9. Eatmorepies <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > Llanwrtd Wells to Tregaron, via Abergwesyn ? It's tarmac all the way but I wouldn't fancy going
    > > up ( or down ) the Devil's staircase.
    > >
    > > >2) Trecastle (12 miles W of Brecon)
    > > > to LLangadog (another 12 miles W)
    > >
    > > Yes.
    > >
    > Nothing wrong with the Staircase - just makes me puff and pant a lot.

    Me too, but if he's on a racing bike he should be warned that Look cleats aren't very good for
    walking in. Triple recommended too.